Mid Winter Dinner for Vegetarian

Page 1 / 2
macwood2, Jun 17, 8:06am
I have a mid winter dinner on Sunday for a large group and have a couple of vegetarians.I can't decide what to make for a couple of vegetarians.I have lots of vegetables and ham and fillet of beef for the others.I think I have four vegetarians to cater for.Any bright ideas?Was wondering abou filo maybe?Look forward to others ideas and recipes.TIA.

gemini007, Jun 17, 8:23am
what about a spinach mushroom & feta canneloni

elliehen, Jun 17, 8:26am
And instead of trying to stuff the tubes, make it easy and use fresh pasta sheets and roll them up - as Lana did recently in a Food-in-a-Minute recipe.

frances1266, Jun 17, 8:34am
Filo has been around for vegetarians in every cafe and restaurant for years.I know it is one of the last things I would select from a menu.,
I would go for more traditional like a nut loaf - truly they are yummy.
Usually made with mixed herb flavouring they are reminiscent of stuffing that goes with chicken and liked by everyone.I would serve it with roast veg, cranberry jelly, gravy etc.
etc.

macwood2, Jun 17, 9:32am
Thanks elliehen.That looks like a wrap for me.I guess making it the day before will be ok.

ruby19, Jun 17, 9:57am
I made these for our last christmas dinner, I am theonly veggie, but everyone wanted one of these luckily I had made enough for 8 people!!
Mushroom wellington

4 large field mushrooms( i used not so large mushrooms approx 7cm wide)
4 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove , chopped
about 400g/14oz spinach leaves
a dusting of flour
1 tbsp picked thyme leaves
500g block all-butter puff pastry
140g Stilton , sliced
1 egg , beaten

(I made a breadcrumb( Vogels), walnut & parmesan crumble to pop under the mushroom before stacking other ingredients on top to cat alittle bit of moisture)
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Remove the stalks from the mushrooms. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and sizzle the mushrooms for 3-4 mins on each side until golden and cooked through - add a drop more oil if needed. Lift the mushrooms out onto kitchen paper to drain.
Place the same pan back on the heat with the rest of the oil. Fry the garlic for a moment, add the spinach to the pan, then cook for 2-3 mins over a high heat until completely wilted. Season with salt and pepper, then tip the spinach into a large sieve to drain thoroughly.
On a lightly floured surface scattered with the thyme leaves, roll the pastry out to the thickness of a $1 coin. Using a saucer and a larger-size plate, cut out 4 circles about 5cm wider than the mushrooms (for the bottoms) and 4 circles about 10cm wider (for the tops), re-rolling the trimmings if you need to. (I used my pie maker pastry cutter)
Place the 4 smaller circles on a baking tray and top each with a quarter of the spinach, making sure the pile of spinach isn't wider than the mushrooms. Top the spinach with a slice of cheese, then a mushroom, smooth-side up, and top the mushroom with another slice of cheese. Brush the border to each circle with egg, then gently stretch the larger circle over the mushroom, trying not to trap any air, then press the edges together with a fork. Trim the edges with a knife if you want, then brush each generously with egg. Bake for 40 mins until golden, then leave to cool for a few mins before serving.

Make sure you season everything REALLY well or it will be bland.

Made a port & mushroom sauce to go with this.

hezwez, Jun 17, 10:19am
I like the look of the recipe at post #5. Some vegetarians avoid eggs too, may pay to check the pasta sheets in the previous suggested recipe. :-)

frances1266, Jun 17, 9:00pm
If you make the cashew loaf in the processor be careful not to blend it too fine.
I blend the ingreds separately then mix in a bowl except the carrot which is grated.

cheeseepoof, Jun 17, 11:31pm
bowl of lettuce

iman007, Jun 17, 11:34pm
try a vegetable curry, the proper type curry, still one of my fave meals, and im a big meat eater.

elliehen, Jun 18, 2:14am
What's your favourite recipe, iman007?Do you feel like posting it?

iman007, Jun 18, 2:27am
happy to oblidge
i do everything the indian way,
2 teaspns coriander seeds
2""fennel seeds
2""cumin seeds
dryroast in a pan until starting to pop.I use a coffee grinder and grind up the seeds, the aroma is stunning.
Cut up veges, i use
carrots,onions,beans, peas,cauliflower,snow peas anything you like, chop into bite size pieces.
I use a stir fry wok and heat up 2 tablespoons gee, or use oil if you dont have gee.fry garlic and ginger, teaspoon each for a few seconds then add spices fry veges until halfcooked and then add 1/2 cup coconut cream any i usually turn it off and reheat when ready to serve.If it needs a bit of cream, dont be frightened to put a bit in.I dont use proper measurements i know by look and taste what is needed.It is well worth having a go at making this, yummy

let me know how you get on.

elliehen, Jun 18, 2:30am
Thanks...I'll pop it over into the vegetarian recipe thread so that others can have go :)

iman007, Jun 18, 2:32am
i was introed to indian about 10 years ago, im hooked on it,i do a pretty good aloo gobi and a mushroom sabji as well.BUT i haveitwith butter chicken.

theanimal1, Jun 18, 6:24am
vegan Chilli

Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
4oz green lentils
½ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1 bay leaf
pinch cayenne pepper
1 tin tomatoes
¾ pint vegetable stock
1 tin kidney beans, drained
1 tin chick peas, drained

Method

Heat the oil, add the onion, carrot, garlic and peppers. Add the lentils and spices, the tomatoes and the stock. Simmer for 50 minutes. Add the kidney beans and chick peas. Remove the bay leaf.

theanimal1, Jun 18, 6:25am
Spicy Lentil Casserole

1 onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1lb 9oz (700g) potatoes, cut into chunks

4 carrots thickly sliced

2 parsnips, thickly sliced

4oz (100g) red lentils

1.75 pint (1 litre) vegetable stock

Small bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped (optional)

Heat 2 tbsps oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the potatoes, carrots and parsnips and cook over a high heat for 6-7 minutes, stirring until the vegetables are golden.

Stir in 2 tbsps curry powder and the stock and bring to the boil. Add the lentils, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the lentils are cooked. Add fresh coriander, or 1 tbsp ground coriander.

Serves 3-4

theanimal1, Jun 18, 6:26am
Rice Stuffed
Silverbeet Leaves

Ingredients:
Big bunch of silverbeet
(preferably about 12 leaves)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 heaped Tbls of peanut butter
¼ tsp cumin seeds
1 cup rice
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 Tbls dried oregano
½ cup grated cheese (optional) DO NOT ADD if vegartarian or vegan
2 Tbls oil
Salt and pepper
Method:
Lightly fry the onion and cumin seeds in oil, add the
rice, fry briefly then add 2 ½ cups water and ½ a
tsp salt. Bring to the boil, turn down to a low simmer,
cover and cook for 12 mins, then turn off and leave
the pan tightly covered for a further 12 mins.
Add the peanut butter to the rice, stir to combine.
Add the cheese to the rice and peanut butter
mixture, stir to combine.
Trim the silverbeet leaves from the bunch and run
the edge of a wooden spoon along the spines of
the silverbeet, pressing firmly to crush the spines.
This makes the leaves much easier to roll up.
Divide the rice mixture between the 12 leaves
and roll them up.
Place the rolled up leaves into a shallow baking dish.
Blend the can of tomatoes with the oregano, ¼ tsp
salt and a cup of water and tip over the leaves.
Cover tightly with foil and bake at 170°C for an hour.

macwood2, Jun 17, 8:06am
I have a mid winter dinner on Sunday for a large group and have a couple of vegetarians.I can't decide what to make for a couple of vegetarians.I have lots of vegetables and ham and fillet of beef for the others.I think I have four vegetarians to cater for.Any bright ideas!Was wondering abou filo maybe!Look forward to others ideas and recipes.TIA.

ruby19, Jun 17, 9:57am
I made these for our last christmas dinner, I am theonly veggie, but everyone wanted one of these luckily I had made enough for 8 people!
Mushroom wellington

4 large field mushrooms( i used not so large mushrooms approx 7cm wide)
4 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove , chopped
about 400g/14oz spinach leaves
a dusting of flour
1 tbsp picked thyme leaves
500g block all-butter puff pastry
140g Stilton , sliced
1 egg , beaten

(I made a breadcrumb( Vogels), walnut & parmesan crumble to pop under the mushroom before stacking other ingredients on top to cat alittle bit of moisture)
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Remove the stalks from the mushrooms. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and sizzle the mushrooms for 3-4 mins on each side until golden and cooked through - add a drop more oil if needed. Lift the mushrooms out onto kitchen paper to drain.
Place the same pan back on the heat with the rest of the oil. Fry the garlic for a moment, add the spinach to the pan, then cook for 2-3 mins over a high heat until completely wilted. Season with salt and pepper, then tip the spinach into a large sieve to drain thoroughly.
On a lightly floured surface scattered with the thyme leaves, roll the pastry out to the thickness of a $1 coin. Using a saucer and a larger-size plate, cut out 4 circles about 5cm wider than the mushrooms (for the bottoms) and 4 circles about 10cm wider (for the tops), re-rolling the trimmings if you need to. (I used my pie maker pastry cutter)
Place the 4 smaller circles on a baking tray and top each with a quarter of the spinach, making sure the pile of spinach isn't wider than the mushrooms. Top the spinach with a slice of cheese, then a mushroom, smooth-side up, and top the mushroom with another slice of cheese. Brush the border to each circle with egg, then gently stretch the larger circle over the mushroom, trying not to trap any air, then press the edges together with a fork. Trim the edges with a knife if you want, then brush each generously with egg. Bake for 40 mins until golden, then leave to cool for a few mins before serving.

Make sure you season everything REALLY well or it will be bland.

Made a port & mushroom sauce to go with this.

bev00, Jun 17, 12:36pm
Too many good recipes to be be lost in cyberspace

anjaok, Jun 17, 5:12pm
go on the food in a minute website and look up roast vegetable cannelloni. made it for dinner last night and it was SO good even though me bf and I aren't veges.

elliehen, Jun 18, 2:14am
What's your favourite recipe, iman007!Do you feel like posting it!

elliehen, Jun 18, 2:30am
Thanks.I'll pop it over into the vegetarian recipe thread so that others can have go :)

theanimal1, Jun 18, 6:26am
Tofu With VegetablesChilli. 1T peanut oil, 1 long red chilli finely chopped, 3 cloves garlic crushed, 500g butternut cut into pieces, 12 button mushrooms sliced, 150g snow peas halved, finely grated zest & juice of an orange, 200g firm tofu cut into 2cm pieces.
Heat oil in a lge wok. Cook chilli, garlic & pumpkin for 5-6min or until pumpkin is almost tender. Add mushrooms & snow peas. Cook a further2-3min, tossing often. Add orange rind, juice & tofu. Cook until just heated through. Serve with steamed wholegrain rice & chilli sauce. Garnish with coriander.

fruitluva2

ruby19, Jun 19, 5:57am
The current dish mag has an easy and tasty ricotta & spinach gnocchi recipe. I use cottage cheese and geat agood result. Just cut back a little on te lemon zest in my opinion