Green Tomatoes..recipes for please ?

Page 2 / 2
willman, Mar 19, 8:08am
Ok motorbo,I'm interested,so might someone else,green tomato pickle is great.Love to have you recipe.

motorbo, Mar 19, 6:47pm
you will need to adjust the old measurements as this is a very old recipe, my mum used to make it all the time and its yummy, even anathoth`s brand in the shops is no where near as nice:

Green tomato pickle
6lb green tomatoes
2lb onions
2lb sugar
4 level tablespoos flour
2 level tablespoonsof curry powder
2 oz salt
6 chillies
2 level dessertspoons mustard powder
Water and vinegar

Peel the onions, chop onions and tomatoes small, sprinkle with salt and stand overnight, pour the brine away in the morning. Place the tomatoes and onions in a pan and barely cover with vinegar mix the mustard and curry into a paste with some of the vinegar and add with the sugar and chillies to the tomato/ onion mix. Boil for ½ hour, make a paste with the flour and some water and stir into the pickle, boil for 10 mins.

willman, Mar 19, 6:56pm
Thanks for the green tomato picklerecipe,motorbo.

phalo, Apr 9, 3:49am
Made my green tom relish this week. The icky colour is often from using the malt vinegar. I use a mix of white, spiced and red wine vinegar. It is a beaut colour with the tumeric and curry powders. Maybe if you do it again try it with no malt vinegar??

motorbo, Apr 9, 5:07am
yes of course it would be okay then mix the batches unless you have put the other lot in jars already, yummy with ccorned beef, cheese or on its on on crackers or bread

whiskey13, Apr 9, 6:38am
Green tomato mustard pickle

Day 1:
3 cups coarsely chopped onions ( usually just 2). 4 cups coarsely chopped vegetables (green tomatoes, cauliflower, beans, firm zucchini etc - I usually just use green tomatoes and cauliflower including leaf and stalks).
Put into a bowl (glass or ceramic best), pour over 1/4 cup of plain salt, cover with water and leave overnight. Next day rinse and drain.
Day 2:
Heat 5-6 jars (2 litres total volume to be safe) in the oven at 120 deg C for 20 mins, turn down to 100 deg and leave in oven.
Put jar lids and a small jug into a pot and boil 5 mins, drain and leave covered.

Mix in shaker: 3 tbsp flour, 1 tbsp mustard powder, 1 and a quarter tsp tumeric, 170ml malt vinegar (DYC vinegar gives good resulks), 280ml cider vinegar, 100g sugar, 1 and a half tsp celery seed, 1/2 tsp chilli concentrate/paste stuff. Bring to boil and boil till thickens.

Add drained vegetables, bring to boil, turn off heat then bottle into hot jars and cover. Best after 3 weeks or so.

This was a recipe that i recieved from a trader on here when i brought some celery seeds off her (sorry Anne, i cant remember your user name lol)

pickles7, Apr 9, 9:02am
Green tomato and pineapple pickle

2 kg of green tomatoes, cored and chopped smallish
750 grams of chopped onions
2 seeded chili chopped [ not very hot ]
1 green capsicum chopped
layered in a stainless steel bowl with a sprinkle of salt over each layer, [4 layers] leave three hours and strain
Put the veg into a preserving pan with
3 cups of cider vinegar
500 grams of brown sugar
2 tsp mustard seeds
3 tsp celery seeds
1 & 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 & 1/2 tsp turmeric
bring it to a boil and then simmer until the veges are cooked.
Add a 425 gram can of crushed pineapple, with the juice
Thicken with 3 Tbsp of cornflour
1/2 cup of cider vinegar.
Bottle while hot , cover when it is cold.

newbat, Apr 11, 7:48am
yep was going to suggest fried green tomatoes yum!

greg.n.michelle, Feb 17, 9:47pm
2 kg of green tomatoes sliced and cores removed, 750g chopped onions, 500g cooking apples cored and chopped finely, 1 pint cider vinegar, 4=6 chillies or to taste, 6 fat cloves garlic, 30 g root ginger, 225g raisins , 500g sugar, 2 tsp salt.Method>>>>-
;> put apples onions and apples into pan with vinegar simmer for 30 min untiil vegand apple soft. prepare chillies removing seeds if wanting a milder flavour .place chilli garlicand ginger in food processor or mortar you need a smmoth paste, add paste to pan with raisins sugar and salt and simmer over low heat for 5 min stirring untol sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to med and continue to simmer the chutney for 30-40 mins until thick. pot into hot jars and cover with vinfgar proof lids.

cgvl, Feb 17, 10:21pm
green tomato and ginger jam is really nice too.
and the recipe maybe on here. Not sure which recipe book I have it in and whether that is one that is packed away for reno's

cgvl, Feb 18, 2:15am
Green tomato and ginger jam:
6lb green tomatoes
6lb sugar or what you think if you dont wnat to use this much probably would go for 5½ lb
6 lemons
6oz preserved/crystallised ginger
Into a large preserving pan
slice 3 of the lemons finely (like you would for marmalade) add the tomates either sliced or chopped
Add the juice of the 3 remaining lemons and the ginger.
Stand overnight or for at least 8 hours.
Next day bring to the boil, add the sugar and boil until it will set when tested. Bottle.
It will set fairly quickly.
Sorry it's not in metric but is a really old family recipe

The one with ripe tomatoes and raspberry cordial umm no I haven't got that one nor any idea of a substitute sorry.

homeschoolmum, Mar 18, 2:26am
The children have just pulled out the last of our tomato plants and I have a bucket of green tomoatoes left over .does anyone haverecipes I can use them in please! Isn't there a green tomato relish or something!

Thank you.

homeschoolmum, Mar 18, 3:23am
Oh Thank you for that.I had not noiced that feature.I now have a few recipes to try.Thanks again.God Bless

jag5, Mar 18, 8:56am
Too late now.but if you have unripe tomatoes on your plants, pull the plants out, hang upside down in a dry airy place, and they will continue to ripen.Strange but true.

hazedaze, Mar 18, 10:03am
Not too late for me.Thankyou for that tip.The way the weather is going, my tomatoes aren't all going to ripen outdoors.Hope
s good for now:-)Thanks again.

willman, Mar 19, 8:08am
Ok motorbo,I'm interested,so might someone else,green tomato pickle is great.Love to have you recipe.

phalo, Apr 9, 3:49am
Made my green tom relish this week. The icky colour is often from using the malt vinegar. I use a mix of white, spiced and red wine vinegar. It is a beaut colour with the tumeric and curry powders. Maybe if you do it again try it with no malt vinegar!

bev00, Apr 10, 7:50am
so many green tomatoes - these recipes are just the ticket!