peach wine

Page 2 / 2
pickles7, May 23, 9:37am
Apricot wine is nice, I have made it using dried apricots. This peach wine tastes very nice, just so hazy. That is not so bad when I can turn it into vinegar. I use a lot of vinegar over a year. I must of made near,130 liters, of vinegar by now. Have you made wine yourself !. cgvl .

cgvl, May 23, 11:28am
pickles no not yet, have a hankering to but DH likes to make his own spirits, and beer, he also has had a go at wine so doubt I'll be allowed a look in.
I have had a wine years ago now called peacherine a really nice quaffing wine, think it may have been either a peach wine or a peach brandy mixed with wine. Could sit by the pool and quaff it all day long if had been allowed to.

pickles7, May 24, 5:29am
OK if he has a bottle of wine or beer to spare try your hand at making, vinegar. It is so easy. I have a still, but have not used it for ages. You shouldn't brew vinegar near his beer or wine, really. I have them in the same room, but, as I intend making vinegar it is not a problem.

pickles7, May 28, 6:44am
I have had to add another bottle of water to the peach vinegar barrel. The peach wine had too much alcohol and the vinegar mother was struggling to grow. The peach wine had a very nice vinegar flavour, but on reading up on the subject it won't keep that well. You can have too much alcohol in your brew. So now the ratio is 1 bottle of wine, 1 bottle of water

pickles7, May 29, 6:44am
I have had to add another bottle of water to the peach vinegar barrel. The peach wine had too much alcohol and the vinegar mother was struggling to grow. The peach wine had a very nice vinegar flavour, but on reading up on the subject it won't keep that well. You can have too much alcohol in your brew. So now the ratio is 1 bottle of wine, 1 bottle of water

pickles7, Jul 1, 11:14pm
This wine is not clearing very well, it has a very nice full bodied flavour, more of a dessert wine .I added 4 tsp of "Sparkolloid Powder" in 2 cups of water simmered for 15 minutes and added while hot. Two weeks it should take, mmmI hope so. I am keen to get on with my next lot.
Any one else, got wine brewing!

indy95, Jul 2, 12:08am
Not wine pickles7, but I am going to try some cassis or blackcurrant liqueur and if it turns out well may use a bottle or two for Christmas presents.

lyonruge, Jul 2, 12:51am
I made mead last year, very nice, might try and find some cheap honey and do it again.

pickles7, Jul 19, 10:57am
how are u two going, are you making wine!
this wine still has not cleared. I will buy a filter to filter it. It will come in handy. The wine is very nice but I don't feel like adding anything else to it. I will need to be searching more before I use the skins again to brew with.

bev00, Jan 23, 7:04am
Must tryif theres a bumper crip

pickles7, Jan 23, 7:15pm
I had two large bottle of apple juice in my pantry and decided to make cider vinegar with them, one bottle at a time. I halved the juice between two 1/2 gallon jars, I then dissolved 1 cup of sugar in 1 cup of boiling water and added that to each jar. I did use a wine yeast for this lot. I never took a S.G. reading for the first lot. I may do so with the next lot though.
So many others mention they make or would like to get into making wine, I wonder how far you all get. I have joined many home brewing clubs over the years, I found them a lot of fun in the past, and very helpful. I wish I could get motivated to go find our local club in Hastings. Maybe this year I will make a bigger effort.

pickles7, Jan 24, 9:33am
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/recipes.asp
I have not made any wine from this site, it is one of the better sites I have found.

mwood, Jan 24, 9:01pm
pickles7 I would not use Turbo Yeast as it is specifically formulated for a "wash" that will be distilled which means the chemical additives used to boost the Turbo are left behind in "stillage" in the still when it is distilled. Using it for your wine instead of a wine yeast means you are drinking all those chemicals - yuk !

pickles7, Jan 26, 6:36am
A filter will not clear pectin from my wine.
I just had to post in here once again. This wine has been racked off twice, had two attempts to clear it. Nothing worked. It is still a little hazy, I should have used pectinase, way back. Never to mind , it tastes very nice. I will bottle it and slowly make wine vinegar, with it. This season I will make peach wine again, using the skins but will put the pectinase in at the first fermentation.
If the vinegar turns out a bit hazy, it won't matter. I will use the vinegar to make worcestershire sauce. The longer you can keep that sauce the better.
Any wine makers that do make a batch of wine that is past its best, It really dose pay to turn it into vinegar. I have two more bottles of old wine, turning into wine vinegar, right now. 2 bottles of wine plus 1 bottle of water = a good brew of wine vinegar.
I need to move on to my next batch of wine.
I have a "kit" Someone gave me, looks easy as, grape juice, in a huge big plastic bag. Everything I need is in the box, it will be a doddle.

kuaka, Jan 26, 8:48am
Pickles, I'm a little bit curious about your first post.You are making wine using only the skins and stones of the peaches because whenever I've made peach wine I've always peeled the peaches, stoned them, and steeped the fruit, discarding the skin and stones.Hmmm.Wonders which one of us has got it wrong!Also I thought 2 tablespoons of grape tannin sounded a bit too much (but then again, maybe I don't use enough).The turbo yeast you talk of, can you explain further.The only turbo yeast I've ever used has been to put down a "spirit wash".When I make wine I only ever use a wine yeast.Using a proper wine yeast I find it's not necessary to rack the wine, just leave it to ferment out, it clears, and then I either decant it into smaller jars to enjoy, and maybe bottle some of it.

pickles7, Jan 26, 9:08am
Hi Kuaka.
yes, I used spirit yeast, I wanted the fermentationover as fast as Possible. I only used the skins as I had bottled heaps of peaches. I am well pleased with the wine, tastes real nice, just didn't clear properly.

kuaka, Jan 26, 9:17am
oh well that's interesting, 'cos I've never thought of using anything other than a wine yeast for wine making.Can't really help you with the wine not clearing, I've got some golden kiwifruit wine which is being a bit stubborn at the moment, and I haven't decided yet what to do with it, whether to try to clear it or just leave it a bit longer.

pickles7, Jan 26, 9:23am
If you used the skins, it probably will be like mine. I have been advised a filter won't clear that problem. I used two lots of fining's, nothing helped.I have used turbo yeast for wine before, it is way faster and has a good alcohol tolerance.