What is the name of a cake from the 50;s/60's

Page 3 / 3
korbo, Jun 13, 9:45am
gerry, no. shop at onekawa has changed hands, and like many of the bakerys in napier owned by non-new zealanders. pop into wrinkles, elsy could tell you more.The dutchman who made the chocolate was Krammer, and then he had the g/mds home cookery, then he had a chocolate factory in onekawa, and that now is Silk (something) new owners, in Links rd, just on the bend by the golf link.....hope that gives you some insight into history...elsy will correct me if i have got it wrong....
kinna, i used to spend a lot at McCreadys, especially stuff to make my babies outfits. memory fadinga bit, what else did they sell.

lindylambchops1, Jun 13, 10:09am
Do either of you have a good recipe for the Malt Loaf please?I have tried to make it but never been successful with the lovely taste that I remember.Thanks!

susieq9, Jun 13, 10:51am
The Silky Oak Chocolate factory at Waiohiki, by the golf course.

kinna54, Jun 14, 12:44am
Thanks korbo, lovely memories. I was known as the button shop lady, I worked on the button shop side do you remember they had buttons in boxes all along the walls, and a corner for lace only, another area that was wool, and another special area for tapestries, silks etc, sort of like mini spotlight. You used to be able to walk thru from the button shop into the fabrics and manchester, in later years the wall was knocked out and it became all one big shop.The other side of the shop sold fabrics,furnishings, bedspreads, manchester (still using blankets I bought there) and a bit of baby stuff, remember my kids singlets always came from there. I have a pic of us all outside there on one market day, see if I can figure how to post it. Happy days, gosh I probably served you countless times. small world.

punkinthefirst, Jun 14, 12:59am
Oh, the memories!
I worked in McCready's for six months straight out of school, until the job I wanted came up. Loved it, but spent all the sparewages (after board, etc.) on fabric and towels and sheets. (They had a thriving manchester section as well.)
I've often thought of opening a "Home Cookery" (remember them?),but realise that, unless you have a cafe or other bulk outlet, it probably wouldn't be viable in these days of weight watching and sugar limitation!

kennymac, Jun 14, 2:24am
My mother was also a Yorkshire Lass.Here is a recipe from a book that I have inherited, that was sent to her from her relatives.
Malt Loaf
2oz cooking fat of margarine, 4oz golden syrup, 4oz malt, 4 tbsp milk, 8 oz self raising flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 4oz sultanas, 1 egg.Grease 2lb loaf tin and line with greased paper.Melt fat in saucepan and stir in syrup, malt and milk, warm.Pour flour, salt and fruit into bowl and stir in warmed ingredients and whisked egg.Beat thoroughly.Pour into prepared tin and bake for 1&1/4 hours at 325F.After 20 minutes cover with foil to prevent loaf from over browning.Turn onto a rack to cool.Serve sliced and buttered.This loaf improves with keeping, leave unwrapped in aritight tin

gerry64, Jun 14, 3:33am
Kinna - hope you can post the photo - I used to spend ages in there looking at the buttons - remember once I left my purse where the patterns were with all my wages in - came back an hour later and it was still where I left it
Cheers for the recipe kennymac - going to give it a try
all the oldies would love your home cookery punkin

lindylambchops1, Jun 14, 4:21am
Thanks Kenny must give that a try very soon.

korbo, Jun 14, 9:45am
gerry, no. shop at onekawa has changed hands, and like many of the bakerys in napier owned by non-new zealanders. pop into wrinkles, elsy could tell you more.The dutchman who made the chocolate was Krammer, and then he had the g/mds home cookery, then he had a chocolate factory in onekawa, and that now is Silk (something) new owners, in Links rd, just on the bend by the golf link.hope that gives you some insight into history.elsy will correct me if i have got it wrong.
kinna, i used to spend a lot at McCreadys, especially stuff to make my babies outfits. memory fadinga bit, what else did they sell.

lindylambchops1, Jun 14, 10:09am
Do either of you have a good recipe for the Malt Loaf please!I have tried to make it but never been successful with the lovely taste that I remember.Thanks!

punkinthefirst, Jun 15, 12:59am
Oh, the memories!
I worked in McCready's for six months straight out of school, until the job I wanted came up. Loved it, but spent all the sparewages (after board, etc.) on fabric and towels and sheets. (They had a thriving manchester section as well.)
I've often thought of opening a "Home Cookery" (remember them!),but realise that, unless you have a cafe or other bulk outlet, it probably wouldn't be viable in these days of weight watching and sugar limitation!