Your best tip for pumpkin soup

Page 1 / 3
gerry64, Jun 1, 12:51am
I know there are many recipes online but am looking for your best tip if you dont mind sharing to make this soup for the first time

fifie, Jun 1, 12:55am
Roast your pumpkin and garlic first. Search for purplegonnas recipe on here its just the best.

gilligee, Jun 1, 12:55am
Many threads on this subject. Key in 'pumpkin soup' into the left hand column the put 'anytime' into the date posted.

trevf, Jun 1, 2:06am
go to pantry-grab can of campbells pumkin soup-remove lid -pour into saucepan-heat and eat-simple

sossie1, Jun 1, 2:16am
My best "tip" at the moment is to just cook an entire pumpkin on it's own, puree and freeze it in double serving portions.
While its de-frosting, thats' when i decide what sort of pumpkin soup to make, depending on my taste buds at the time, cos last time I made a huge batch it was all inthe same style, and we got bored with it. This way I can use up any leftover veges etc in the fridge at the time, and decide whether I go with the coconut Thai style, or the plain old chicken stock etc
( ps, we grew pumpkins this year and they are blardy enormous, 3 times the size of supermarket ones)

eastie3, Jun 1, 2:57am
I agree with fifie.I add sprigs of rosemary to the roasting pan,sometimes adding quartered red onions.I remove the rosemary once the pumpkin is cooked.

malcovy, Jun 1, 3:17am
When cooked and cooled down put it through the whizz and add a small amount of cream to it when reheating.

datoofairy, Jun 1, 3:18am
Bacon and spring onions, with a little pinch of nutmeg and a huge spoonful of sour cream..yummo.

litedelites, Jun 1, 3:32am
Great idea sossie1 - I have a number of different recipes and you can get bored with the same batch if you make it big.I am going to do this next time I make my soup, so thanks very much, T

gerry64, Jun 1, 3:48am
sossie - that sounds a great idea - the pumpkins are huge - have given a lot away but still have some really big ones -
trev thats what my husband said!!!
thanks fifi - wouldnt have thought of roasting it - will go next door and swap a pumpkin for some rosemary

dbab, Jun 1, 3:48am
A sprinkle of ginger is really nice.

verrans, Jun 1, 3:50am
My tip is to sautee diced pumpkin and onion in real butter until soft, before doing anything else

purplegoanna, Jun 1, 3:52am
highly recommended..my pumpkin soup recipe..... Roast Pumpkin & Garlic Soup
I use a whole lge white skinned ‘Crown or Grey pumpkins’, cut into wedges, peel skin, deseeded then half again, roast in olive oil with 1-2 lge garlic bulbs, broken into cloves and peeled. Separately dice & fry 5-6 rashers of bacon in a large saucepan. After bacon is browned add pumpkin pieces & garlic. Use a stick blender to blend into a smooth mix, adding enough chicken stock while blending until you get a nice thick soup consistency, then add, salt, pepper & 1tsp curry powder to taste. Reheat on low heat slowly and serve with grilled cheese toast. To impress guests add a dollop of sour cream just before serving, use a toothpick and draw lines from sour cream out into soup, then serve. Or add 1/2c of coconut cream for extra richness.

happydayz2day, Jun 1, 4:03am
Rast some pumpkin, peppers, garlic. Boil potato,kumara, onion, whatever is around. Once boiled, drain water but set it aside. Put all roasted and boiled veges in a kitchen whizz or blender, use water from boiling to add slowly until the required consistency, add in 1/2 tub cream cheese and 1/2 bottle cream, a few drops of lemon or lime juice and grated fresh ginger- Yummo!

jbsouthland, Jun 1, 4:07am
I always brownthe pumpkin pieces first with a little butter in thepot....add small amount ofrinsed barley and use Chicken stock....yummy..sometimes do the curry thing.

gerry64, Jun 1, 4:47am
cheers you all - its easy just to key into the search place but I think its great to get all your tips - really appreciate it - now to flex the muscles to deal with one of these monsters

eastie3, Jun 1, 6:21am
Mum used to take to them with an axe,Dad grew some giant pumpkins.Outside on the lawn that is,not in the kitchen.

waswoods, Jun 1, 6:44am
And this is the one that lots of us make

lindylambchops1, Jun 1, 6:47am
I like to add curry powder to mine & also milk to make it creamy at the very end.

fisher, Jun 1, 7:59am
roast BUTTERNUT pumpkin...roast garlic...roast onions.. MOST IMPORTANT... pre fried bacon..(have been known to use a bacon hock) ..chicken stock..nutmeg... super fine chopped spring onions in my Ninja.. 1 tsp curry powder... cream....them's my special ingredients....
Bout to make some tomorrow with 8 butternut pumpkins...nice evening meal with semi toasted garlic buttered dinner rolls...rest to be frozen in ice cream containers...
(Then It's on to the bacon hock soup...next week)

ucanchoose, Jun 1, 1:24pm
1.Don't ever ever ever use butternut pumpkin
2.Add curry powder.
3.Add a good potato.

dezzie, Jun 1, 6:10pm
My recipe is much like fishers, except I don't use curry powder, I like about half a cup of sweet chilli sauce per potfull instead.
A good way of taming big pumpkins, is to take them outside and throw them with some force onto the concrete so they crack (not fly to bits) then attack with your biggest knife.

rainrain1, Jun 1, 8:59pm
1kg pumpkin
2 cups water
2 tsp instant chicken stock
2 tsp instant green herb stock
2 tsp instant bacon stock
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
2 chopped onions
2 cloved crushed garlic
deseed pumpkin and cut into chunks, boil altogether till pumpkin is tender enough to scrape from the skin (I cut the skin from mine first)
Puree in batches, add 2 cups of milk,Reheat without boiling.
Add a swirl of thin cream to each serving, or chopped fresh herbs

grandma, Jun 1, 9:51pm
Thanks for the memory eastie3 and dezzie - I have vivid childhood memories of my mother, throwing pumpkins down on the concrete back step to split them.

twindizzy, Jun 1, 9:56pm
Curry Powder and bacon