Your best tip for pumpkin soup

Page 2 / 3
mazz1972, Jun 1, 11:40pm
Some pumpkins have much really nice flavour or be really tasteless, but you can't tell till it's cooked up, hence sometimes you make a really nice soup, other times it tastes a bit blah.

* my fave is to add some curry powder when cooking the pumpkin (I add lots of cumin and well), then after it's cooked and whzzed up, add some coconut milk.

* add the grated rind and the juice of an orange.

* add bacon.

* add carrot

rainrain1, Jun 2, 12:11am
grey skin pumpkin is the only one to use

jed, Jun 2, 12:22am
ucanchoose why can you not ever ever ever use butternut pumpkin for soup?I actually stuff my butternut pumpkin with cream cheese and sauteed bacon, onion and stuff it into a semi cooked butternut then finish it off in the oven.Sooo nice.

fifie, Jun 2, 12:48am
Great pumpkin tip, for easier cutting a large pumpkin for soup zap it first about 15 mins, remove from microwave watch its hot when it cools much easier to cut into chunks.

gilligee, Jun 2, 12:55am
Many threads on this subject. Key in 'pumpkin soup' into the left hand column the put 'anytime' into the date posted.

beaker59, Jun 2, 12:56am
Yes please be careful cutting Pumkins an emergency room nurse once said they dread Pumkin soup season (about now) because of the horrific knife unjuries they get coming in. My mum used to take her pumkins outside and drop them on the concrete to break them up a bit for her soups rather than make that first cut.

sossie1, Jun 2, 1:05am
but that would take the fun out for me, I have a real solid chopping board and a big Chinese meat cleaver WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM!

I will try the chucking down the steps thing as well, and use my chopper on the smaller bits

kbrough, Jun 2, 1:16am
I add coconut cream at the end and a good dollup of peanut butter - gives it a nutty flavour.

sossie1, Jun 2, 2:16am
My best "tip" at the moment is to just cook an entire pumpkin on it's own, puree and freeze it in double serving portions.
While its de-frosting, thats' when i decide what sort of pumpkin soup to make, depending on my taste buds at the time, cos last time I made a huge batch it was all inthe same style, and we got bored with it. This way I can use up any leftover veges etc in the fridge at the time, and decide whether I go with the coconut Thai style, or the plain old chicken stock etc
( ps, we grew pumpkins this year and they are blardy enormous, 3 times the size of supermarket ones)

ucanchoose, Jun 2, 2:33am
because it tastes terrible, it's not really a pumpkin anyway,it's a squash

alby100, Jun 2, 2:41am
Pancetta instead of bacon...

datoofairy, Jun 2, 3:18am
Bacon and spring onions, with a little pinch of nutmeg and a huge spoonful of sour cream.yummo.

gerry64, Jun 2, 3:48am
sossie - that sounds a great idea - the pumpkins are huge - have given a lot away but still have some really big ones -
trev thats what my husband said!
thanks fifi - wouldnt have thought of roasting it - will go next door and swap a pumpkin for some rosemary

purplegoanna, Jun 2, 3:52am
highly recommended.my pumpkin soup recipe. Roast Pumpkin & Garlic Soup
I use a whole lge white skinned ‘Crown or Grey pumpkins’, cut into wedges, peel skin, deseeded then half again, roast in olive oil with 1-2 lge garlic bulbs, broken into cloves and peeled. Separately dice & fry 5-6 rashers of bacon in a large saucepan. After bacon is browned add pumpkin pieces & garlic. Use a stick blender to blend into a smooth mix, adding enough chicken stock while blending until you get a nice thick soup consistency, then add, salt, pepper & 1tsp curry powder to taste. Reheat on low heat slowly and serve with grilled cheese toast. To impress guests add a dollop of sour cream just before serving, use a toothpick and draw lines from sour cream out into soup, then serve. Or add 1/2c of coconut cream for extra richness.

jbsouthland, Jun 2, 4:07am
I always brownthe pumpkin pieces first with a little butter in thepot.add small amount ofrinsed barley and use Chicken stock.yummy.sometimes do the curry thing.

fisher, Jun 2, 6:11am
Yup Butternut is "nutty" but a dollop of peanut butter could enhance that ..

fisher, Jun 2, 7:59am
roast BUTTERNUT pumpkin.roast garlic.roast onions. MOST IMPORTANT. pre fried bacon.(have been known to use a bacon hock) .chicken stock.nutmeg. super fine chopped spring onions in my Ninja. 1 tsp curry powder. cream.them's my special ingredients.
Bout to make some tomorrow with 8 butternut pumpkins.nice evening meal with semi toasted garlic buttered dinner rolls.rest to be frozen in ice cream containers.
(Then It's on to the bacon hock soup.next week)

ucanchoose, Jun 2, 1:24pm
1.Don't ever ever ever use butternut pumpkin
2.Add curry powder.
3.Add a good potato.

dezzie, Jun 2, 6:10pm
My recipe is much like fishers, except I don't use curry powder, I like about half a cup of sweet chilli sauce per potfull instead.
A good way of taming big pumpkins, is to take them outside and throw them with some force onto the concrete so they crack (not fly to bits) then attack with your biggest knife.

mazz1972, Jun 2, 11:40pm
Some pumpkins have much really nice flavour or be really tasteless, but you can't tell till it's cooked up, hence sometimes you make a really nice soup, other times it tastes a bit blah.

* my fave is to add some curry powder when cooking the pumpkin (I add lots of cumin and well), then after it's cooked and whzzed up, add some coconut milk.

* add the grated rind and the juice of an orange.

* add bacon.

* add carrot

jed, Jun 3, 12:22am
ucanchoose why can you not ever ever ever use butternut pumpkin for soup!I actually stuff my butternut pumpkin with cream cheese and sauteed bacon, onion and stuff it into a semi cooked butternut then finish it off in the oven.Sooo nice.

ucanchoose, Jun 3, 2:33am
because it tastes terrible, it's not really a pumpkin anyway,it's a squash

muppet65, Jun 3, 2:37am
and chili ..i always put chili in mine to give it a zing

alby100, Jun 3, 2:41am
Pancetta instead of bacon.

dolphin101, Jun 3, 4:08am
I add 5 spice and a good pinch of cuminreal tasty