Just made some awful Pumpkin Soup

Page 1 / 2
jaydan1, Apr 26, 1:06am
First attempt ever, the recipe in my head sounded good at the time lol. I chopped one large onion, with bacon, celery and a little garlic. Seasoned with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of nutmeg. I lightly fried all that up with a lilttle butter and set aside. Then boiled Pumpkin reserving the water.. Mushed Pumpkin with fork and added to onion mixture, added seasoned water and simmered , that was it. But it has come out watery and tasteless. Any ideas on how to save it? I was thinking maybe doing some more Pumpkin and adding cream? I was so looking forward to a nice thick soup for tea.

lindylambchops1, Apr 26, 1:09am
add curry powder!

lizab, Apr 26, 1:15am
was the pumpkin a little green around the edges? All our homegrown ones haven't ripened properly this year :( An unripe pumpkin is pretty tasteless.

valentino, Apr 26, 1:18am
Stick Blend everything and add thick cream (optional).
If no stick blender then food processor or anything that can puree all.

Then taste and check on seasoning level adding more seasoning if required to personal taste.

Cheers

holly-rocks, Apr 26, 1:24am
Did you use stock? A really good stock makes a HUGE difference. I never separate my onions ect when cooking pumpkin soup. It all goes in the same pot to cook together. And yip I always add curry powder!!

elliehen, Apr 26, 1:27am
I always add curry powder to pumpkin soup.If you're going to add some now to your brew, cook it in a little oil before you add it.

My pumpkin soup failures have come from using a useless pumpkin.I buy a half pumpkin rather than a whole one so that I can have a good look at the insides.

cookessentials, Apr 26, 1:33am
I use stock such as Campbells vegetable.

jaydan1, Apr 26, 1:36am
x1
Thanks for the tips, lucky I checked back as was just about to throw some curry powder in, so will make sure I cook it off a little first. I added some more Pumpkin too , with some cream and must say it's looking a whole lot better.

smileeah, Apr 26, 1:41am
Could use chicken stock also.

elliehen, Apr 26, 1:44am
Gently...just enough to allow it to release all its pungent spice.

jaydan1, Apr 26, 1:49am
Thanks, how much would you reccomend for an average size soup? A teaspoon?

jessie981, Apr 26, 2:36am
gotta add couple of teaspoons of chicken stock. I don't use bacon so all goes in at once. i add potato too

gail4, Apr 26, 2:51am
Potato is a must in my opinion and carrot.The potato thickens the soup up too.

cookessentials, Apr 26, 3:18am
yes, absolutley, I use chicken stock as well if I dont have vegetable. I basically saute onions in butter, add cubes of cooked pumpkin( peeled and cooked for 8 mins in a little water in microwave.) stock and a little water to taste. Once cooked through, I put through my blender, then back into the pan with a little milk and freshly grated nutmeg, a little pepper and salt, only if it needs it. Some people use a little orange juice which brings out the flavour.

dezzie, Apr 26, 5:59am
I find sweet chilli sauce and a wee grate of nutmeg are good additions as well.

twobitcares, Apr 26, 6:03am
This is what i do...

Peel and chop up a whole pumpkin and an onion or two, boil in in water and tip out water once nearly cooked(reserving water) Put in food processor untill thick and soupy, add the reserved water if too thick. Season untill desired with salt and pepper

elliehen, Apr 26, 6:12am
Sorry, just got back here.One or two, to taste.

socram, Apr 26, 6:19am
I always add carrots and probably kumara too. Cook everything together.potato will indeed thicken, but absorbs some of the flavour. Kumara adds to the flavour and also thickens. For slightly under ripe pumpkin, add a spoonful of sugar or two or/and maybe even canned tomatoes or tomato puree.

Cooking it longer and evaporating off some of the liquid will also concentrate the flavour.Dash of Worcester sauce may help the flavour too.

jallen2, Apr 26, 6:26am
I have always added a can of creamed corn. It sounds odd - but it is yumm.And yes worcester is nice in it too.

uli, Apr 26, 6:33am
You can use coconut cream instead of cream - a favourite here - and lots of good fat :)

greerg, Apr 26, 6:56am
It is definitely true that if the pumpkin is not mature enough the soup will be tasteless.My soup is stock-based and has curry powder, bacon etc. but once or twice over the years I've bought a pumpkin early in the season and ended up with tasteless soup.

chooky, Apr 26, 7:27am
I use pumpkin, normally a whole one so I can at least freeze one ice cream container. Slices of carrots, couple of onions, garlic, Boil up in the pot on the stove, with some water,then into the food processor, It always comes out thick and yummy.Never had any problems with tasteless soup. Enjoy.

pogram0, Apr 26, 8:23am
I always put a sprinkle of nutmeg in pumpkin soup.

patsy3, Apr 26, 8:29am
I have had same probs. But here is a yummy recipe.
Cube 2-3 c pumpkin, onion, and feta cheese. Roast with a tin of toms in oven. Then puree with some stock heated up. Yum yum. The feta adds a yum saltyness, but does look a bit curdled (I guess I'm not doing right) The best recipe, and was donated on here a couple of years ago by thisles or chutney I think.

korbo, Apr 26, 8:37am
first poster. did you peel the pumpkin. one year i was lazy and didnt peel the pumpkin, ended up throwing the whole lot. it was so vile....