Help with Pumpkin soup please

Page 1 / 2
tarshlove, Mar 7, 7:28am
So I started to make the 1st pumpkin soup recipe I come across where I should have done PG's Pumpkin soup!
I boiled the Pumpkin (that was a mistake). While that was boiling I fried some onion and garlic and a bit of Capsicum. Added the pumpkin etc to the blender with some milk, salt and pepper and blended. It tasted bland how can I add some taste to it? I don't have nutmeg :( I know it should have been roasted! :p

gardie, Mar 7, 7:32am
Fry off a teaspoon (or two) of curry in a bit of butter (releases the flavours) and then add this to the soup.You can make lovely soup without roasting the pumpkin - I always just boil it. Other thing is to add some celery salt - or failing that, some sliced sauteed celery.

shimmygirl, Mar 7, 7:33am
The best pumpkin soup I've ever made is with roasted pumpkin,root veges and then of course onions and garlic etc....
Just fab!

harrislucinda, Mar 7, 7:35am
neverroastedpumpkintomakesoup beforeiboiledallvegthatgoesindo ads &palsocummin

tarshlove, Mar 7, 7:51am
Okay fried the curry powder in some butter and added it with a tad more salt. Delicious!!! What a difference that made!

Thanks so Much :o)

kiwibubbles, Mar 7, 7:54am
you could also try using chicken stock next time.. i boil my pumpkins and add a couple of cubes of OXO chicken stock along with onion and it always comes out just fine :)

cottagerose, Mar 7, 8:56am
1 lge onion
2 cloves garlic
(chop these 2 ingrediants up finely and saute in butter until translucent)
1kg pumpkin
1 dsp curry powder
500 mls chicken stock (I make my own from chicken carcusses and freeze)
500 mls water
1 tsp salt

I cook pumpkin in microwave then put all ingrediants in a pot and as its cooking mash with a masher.
Stir alot or it may stick to the pot.
Its quite a thick soup so if you want thinner add more water but taste incase you need to add more flavour.
Until I discovered this recipe I didnt like pumpkin soup but find this very tasty

cmx4eva, Mar 7, 9:38am
i boil a crownpumpkin slowly and mash it as it becomes soft then add butter,curry powder and an onion soup mix with a bit of saltnpepper and serve.....also can mix some cream or co co nut cream into it at the end as an icer so to speak.

dollertree, Mar 8, 12:17am
This is not soup but you can eat as dessert.....
1 Butternut ripe/peeled and chopped
1 pkt blue top milk
5-6 cardmom/powdered
4-5 clove
litte bit of almond
2 tbsp of ghee/butter
1 can condense milk.

Boil the pumpkin and throw water away. Mesh it. In another pot heat ghee/butter, add pumpkin fry for 1-2 min, add milk, when it starts to boil then add all ingredients....but add condense milk to your taste as for some it will get very sweet. Simmer for another 4-5min and enjoy it hot.

tarshlove, Mar 8, 12:25am
All great ideas guy thanks heaps :o)
I have to watch my sodium levels so adding stock, OXOcubes, onion soup, salt (I use low salt) etc is no really an option for me :o)

buzzy110, Mar 8, 12:29am
I usually saute onion, celery and garlic then throw in peels and diced pumpkin and 2 carrots, 1 small peeled and diced potato, orange or lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper and chicken or some other stock. It taste pretty yum.

I see you added capsicum and I think red capsicum is a good addition is good and if you want, some powdered vegetable stock.

petcommunicator, Mar 8, 2:10am
definitely use curry powder :o)

and don't boil the crap out of the pumpkin, if you've cubed it, just boil till soft in the centre when you stick it with a knife.any more than that initially and the pumpkin will lose colour and flavour :o)

ant_sonja, Mar 8, 2:21am
I chop & steam the pumpkin first and set aside. Then I sauté a big chopped onion, some garlic, chilli and orange zest in a bit of butter in a large pot until the onion turns translucent. I add he pumpkin, and top it up with enough fresh chicken or veggie stock to just cover it . Bring to a boil then simmer and blend. Season with salt & pepper as well as the juice from one orange. Add a dollop of cream & freshly chopped herbs when ready to serve. that's my basic recipe and is easily adapted to add the herbs/seasonings of your choice :-)

Edited to say: A little curry powder goes well in this recipe also.

tarshlove, Mar 8, 7:28am
So I started to make the 1st pumpkin soup recipe I come across where I should have done PG's Pumpkin soup!
I boiled the Pumpkin (that was a mistake). While that was boiling I fried some onion and garlic and a bit of Capsicum. Added the pumpkin etc to the blender with some milk, salt and pepper and blended. It tasted bland how can I add some taste to it! I don't have nutmeg :( I know it should have been roasted! :p

shimmygirl, Mar 8, 7:33am
The best pumpkin soup I've ever made is with roasted pumpkin,root veges and then of course onions and garlic etc.
Just fab!

tarshlove, Mar 8, 7:51am
Okay fried the curry powder in some butter and added it with a tad more salt. Delicious! What a difference that made!

Thanks so Much :o)

kiwibubbles, Mar 8, 7:54am
you could also try using chicken stock next time. i boil my pumpkins and add a couple of cubes of OXO chicken stock along with onion and it always comes out just fine :)

coreblimey, Mar 8, 10:08am
I like to saute the onion, carrot and celery then I add the pumpkin raw with some chicken stock.At this stage I add 1 medium size potato to thicken it up. I also like a wee bit of curry and also a friend suggested to add a cup of orange juice in the last 5 minutes.That worked out really well, delicious.Pumpkin soup is definitely one of my favourites.I use the stick blender, it's the only soup I make that I like to be smooooooth!

marcs, Mar 8, 12:13pm
I hated pumkin soup that I made because it tasted bland. Ever since I started adding a potato to it, it has started tasking yum

purplegoanna, Mar 8, 9:24pm
awww try my recipe next time..its the bestest.....and ive got a mean leek & potato too....

pollypanner, Mar 8, 10:06pm
I add all my ingredients into the pot at once. Never over boil the pumkin , cook it till just about soft, looses it flavour once boiled to mush

dilligaf_dah, Mar 8, 11:23pm
also try adding ginger instead of the curry powder very yummy.

dollertree, Mar 9, 12:17am
This is not soup but you can eat as dessert.
1 Butternut ripe/peeled and chopped
1 pkt blue top milk
5-6 cardmom/powdered
4-5 clove
litte bit of almond
2 tbsp of ghee/butter
1 can condense milk.

Boil the pumpkin and throw water away. Mesh it. In another pot heat ghee/butter, add pumpkin fry for 1-2 min, add milk, when it starts to boil then add all ingredients.but add condense milk to your taste as for some it will get very sweet. Simmer for another 4-5min and enjoy it hot.

chchgurl, Mar 9, 12:19am
Def need curry powder, also a bit of garlic. Adding a large kumara and a couple of carrots is great too :)

petcommunicator, Mar 9, 2:10am
definitely use curry powder :o)

and don't boil the crap out of the pumpkin, if you've cubed it, just boil till soft in the centre when you stick it with a knife.any more than that initially and the pumpkin will lose colour and flavour :o)