My garlic turned blue!

taniajane, May 17, 6:34am
making roasted tomato/pepper and bacon soup. tossed in some garlic and after just stirring it the garlic floated to the top and its a bright Bridget Jones string soup blue!
What happened?ive made this soup many times in the same crockpot.I cant figure it out.

ksr, May 17, 6:48am
I have no idea but I did have a giggle at your misfortune!I didn't think it could really happen!

lurtz, May 17, 6:55am
Google it. Lots of information about why garlic turns blue at times.I hope this helps. It's OK to eat:-)

taniajane, May 17, 7:17am
Thanks lurtz.
something to do with maturity and maybe a bit of acid.sounds allot like life!
thankfully it was only the garlic that turned blue rather than the whole soup, al la Jones.

olwen, May 17, 7:25am

lurtz, May 17, 8:07am
taniajaneyou have explained a lot:-)I did have a laugh at your comparison. olwen that photo is amazing.

biggsie, May 17, 10:35am
I believe that the imported garlic does this.Even though NZ garlic is more expensive I think our standards could be better.

juliewn, May 17, 11:46am
I agree Biggsie.. I tried one of the small bags of very white garlic that are sold now - before I realised it came from China - bluey/green colours showed in the garlic some time after including it in pickle.. haven't bought it since.. and haven't had the problem again..

taniajane, May 17, 6:41pm
@olwen, that's the blue!Just a little disturbing when you stir a yummy smelling soup and one of those blue blobs swirls by.

sallar, May 17, 7:19pm
Imported from China......yuk.......! According to my greengrocer the NZ garlic still has the stringy bits on the end but if its nice and clean its usually Chinese. Wonder what they was it in????? Mind boggles!

sallar, May 17, 7:58pm
Wash I mean!

horizons_, May 17, 11:22pm
The Chinese stuff if bleached.

taniajane, May 18, 1:19am
With the Chinese comments i thought id let you know this is garlic from my own garden.
I don't know why this thread turned into a anti Chinese garlic thread.
I should have left the garlic to "age" for a couple of weeks. Also that as i tossed it in last on top of all that acid are the reasons why it turned blue, not because it came from china.

kennards1, May 18, 4:44am
Was the Garlic from Jar ,

taniajane, May 18, 5:44am
No, it was fresh out of the garden.

taniajane, May 18, 6:34am
making roasted tomato/pepper and bacon soup. tossed in some garlic and after just stirring it the garlic floated to the top and its a bright Bridget Jones string soup blue!
What happened!ive made this soup many times in the same crockpot.I cant figure it out.

ksr, May 18, 6:48am
I have no idea but I did have a giggle at your misfortune!I didn't think it could really happen!

lurtz, May 18, 6:55am
Google it. Lots of information about why garlic turns blue at times.I hope this helps. It's OK to eat:-)

juliewn, May 18, 11:46am
I agree Biggsie. I tried one of the small bags of very white garlic that are sold now - before I realised it came from China - bluey/green colours showed in the garlic some time after including it in pickle. haven't bought it since. and haven't had the problem again.

nauru, May 18, 12:31pm
The Chinese garlic is treated too so it doesn't sprout, I always buy NZ garlic.

taniajane, May 18, 6:41pm
@olwen, that's the blue!Just a little disturbing when you stir a yummy smelling soup and one of those blue blobs swirls by.

sallar, May 18, 7:19pm
Imported from China.yuk.! According to my greengrocer the NZ garlic still has the stringy bits on the end but if its nice and clean its usually Chinese. Wonder what they was it in! Mind boggles!

taniajane, May 19, 1:19am
With the Chinese comments i thought id let you know this is garlic from my own garden.
I don't know why this thread turned into a anti Chinese garlic thread.
I should have left the garlic to "age" for a couple of weeks. Also that as i tossed it in last on top of all that acid are the reasons why it turned blue, not because it came from china.

nauru, May 19, 12:31pm
The Chinese garlic is treated too so it doesn't sprout, I always buy NZ garlic.