Peeling Garlic

mu7, Jul 20, 11:00am
Any one know how to peel garlic cloves, I want to keep them whole to put in oil to last till next year. I dryed them and had them hanging in the garage but they began to go mouldy. So I want o peel the rest to save them. Its taking me ages, my fingers are so smelly and the juice is like glue. What can I do? !

fisher, Jul 20, 11:07am
do NOT put them in oil. . :{

doggitt, Jul 20, 11:08am
Put them through the blender and mix with oil, , , just like the jars at the shop. .

nauru, Jul 20, 11:08am
I just peel the top & bottom off the cloves, rub them betweeen your fingers and they pop out. As for smelly hands, soap them up and rub on the inside of your stainless steel sink then rinse well, smell all gone.

horizons_, Jul 20, 10:19pm
try dry roast the whole cloves for an hour. Pop the cloves into a jar (if you squeeze gently they will slip out of their skins) and top up with whatever wine (red or white) you have. Will keep indefinitely and no worries about poisoning. Always on hand and ready to go when you need garlic. Nice flavour too.

pat56, Jul 20, 11:54pm
Put clove in rubber kitchen glove & roll over bench. Bit of practice & skin will come off easily.

winnie231, Jul 21, 3:32am
... . *** DO NOT STORE GARLIC IN OIL ***... .

Garlic is often kept in oil to produce flavoured oil; however, the practice requires measures to be taken to prevent the garlic from spoiling. Untreated garlic kept in oil can support the growth of deadly Clostridium botulinum. Refrigeration will not assure the safety of garlic kept in oil. Peeled cloves may be stored in wineor vinegarin the refrigerator.

Commercially prepared oils are widely available, but when preparing and storing garlic-infused oil at home, there is a risk of botulism if the product is not stored properly. To reduce this risk, the oil should be refrigerated and used within one week. Manufacturers add acids and/or other chemicals to eliminate the risk of botulism in their products.

mu7, Jul 21, 3:57am
Thanks every one, lucky Im still alive to post back to you.

taurus2005, Nov 17, 6:01pm
Soak garlic in a bowl of water for an hr b4 peeling.