Crispy fried garlic?? Anyone done this?

amyc000, Feb 7, 1:45am
I had a meal at a friends who had an asian friend that made some crispy garlic that we sprinkled over our stirfry.Has anyone done this?Ive tried a few times but it always seems to taste bitter and just wrong! It was dark brown but full of flavour and quite salty. Delicious!Can anyone help me? Ta!

juliewn, Feb 7, 3:50pm
Hi.. have you used your own or the NZ garlic that's sold in shops.. or the Chinese garlic that's available - sometimes in the little netting bags.. I found that the Chinese tastes differently and doesn't seem the same when cooked.. could that be the difference?

I just searched online for 'crispy fried garlic' and came up with this:

http://www.plantcultures.org/activities/ginger_garlic.html

Hope this helps..

crystalmoon, Feb 7, 11:54pm
you can also buy bags of it already deep fried at most Asian Supermarkets if thats any help.Garlic is quite tricky to deep fry as if it goes a fraction over it will be bitter,but can be done.Good luck

goldgurl, Feb 8, 12:49am
yep - buy it already made...Mmmm

*Hiya C.moon!!*

amyc000, Feb 8, 9:51am
Thanks heaps everyone. I will try to source it in an asian grocer, but they are pretty scarce in Northland!

davidt4, Feb 8, 7:52pm
Leith Distributors in Dunedin operate a very good mail order service for obscure ingredients.Their email address is sales@leith.co.nz.

Give them a try - I've sourced all sorts of things from them and they are very reliable.

gypsy11, Apr 5, 9:03pm
Also quite common in Indonesia, went into a bar/ restaurant where they had peanuts and garlic slices (Crispy) in a bowl on the tables! Really nice.