Aussie style banana bread - not cake!

sarahj1, May 11, 12:53am
Anyone got a recipe? - did a search of MBs and the only one I have found is a bread machine one.
I'm after one that produces a banana bread like you get in Aussie cafes, that you can slice and toast - most recipes I've found are more "cake-y" - I have lots of them myself!

lilyfield, May 11, 1:30am

cookessentials, May 11, 1:32am
100g butter, softened
200g caster sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup or 1 ½ mashed ripe banana
2 cups 280g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a loaf tin.

In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Stir though the banana, vanilla and cinnamon followed by the flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Pour into prepared tin and bake for 1 hour or until the bread feels firm to the touch. Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm dusted with icing sugar and spread with butter, jam or mascarpone.

* Banana bread can also be toasted in a frying pan with a little knob of butter for 30 seconds on each side.

cookessentials, May 11, 3:51am
The above is an Australian recipe by the way.

korbo, May 11, 10:11am
so will the measurements still be like ours. or are they a little different.

cookessentials, May 11, 6:26pm
just use as above. I have never altered any australian recipes and have never had any failures.

horgi, May 14, 11:51am
bumping because I am going to make this tomorrow

julzienz, Nov 1, 7:14am
This was really good, I just made it. yumz.

marcs, Nov 1, 9:18am
Try tin goose cafe banana bread. I take out the coconut because I don't like the texture in the banana bread and add almond meal instead of coconut. Use the search button on the left hand side.

sarahj1, May 11, 12:53am
Anyone got a recipe! - did a search of MBs and the only one I have found is a bread machine one.
I'm after one that produces a banana bread like you get in Aussie cafes, that you can slice and toast - most recipes I've found are more "cake-y" - I have lots of them myself!