Six hour lamb roast

kulkkulbelle, Mar 14, 6:39am
Yikes I hear you say.

So there's slow cooking anddutch ovens and there is weeping lamb dripping into your veges below.

There there is this amazing recipe I recently tried for the first time.

2 large oven bags
1 leg of lamb - trimmed of all visible fat
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
Garlic to taste
Rosemary/herbs of choice

The above ingredients are very flexible.

Place trimmed meat and all other ingredients in 2 (one inside the other) large oven bags. Tie top

Place in an oven & "BAKE" at 200 deg for 1 hour.

Turn heat down to 100 deg for 5 hours or even as long as you wish at around 80deg.

Serve with mash potatoes and beans .

S & P

Enjoy - we did

kulkkulbelle, Mar 14, 6:42am
We're the traditional rare roast lamb crew from way back, but never tried anything as nice as this...

maxwell.inc, Mar 14, 6:52am
Shame you took the fat off it. . try leaving it on next time. . lamb has no flavor profile on its own. . it really needs the fat. . so does your body :o)

bedazzledjewels, Mar 14, 6:54am
That sounds amazing! I love slow cooked lamb - with the fat on too!
Thanks for the recipe.

maxwell.inc, Mar 14, 6:58am
Its the only way I do lamb roasts. . always slow cooked them. . always liked them flaking and moist off the bone. .

Now if anyone wants to try my MILs famous BULLET lamb. . take your lamb. . abuse it, freeze it. . put it in at 220deg completely plain with not a seasoning in sight and leave it there for 4 hours *Grins* real winner... *grins* lol

korbo, Mar 14, 8:07am
did you prick the bags, and why 2 bags. ? ? ?

homelygirl0011, Mar 14, 9:38am
Lamb shouldn't take that long to cook, and its tender anyways.

sylviasmother1, Mar 14, 8:29pm
i totally agree, the flavour in alot of things is in the fat

kirinesha, Mar 14, 8:33pm
Definitely on my to try list - but think I won't trim the meat either! Fat = flavour.

maxwell.inc, Mar 14, 9:11pm
Not always. . to be honest most people don't know how to cook lamb. . Most don't realize it should be served slightly pink to rare. . and most wouldn't eat it like that either... and to slow cook it brings about a totally NEW flavor profile.

TBH I do prefer Hogget or mutton more however.

buzzy110, Mar 14, 9:43pm
You are such a lucky person maxwell. To have a MIL whose cooking you can look up to and aspire to. I'm sure you always enjoy having a meal or two at her place and spend many hours figuring out how to angle for the next invite. My MIL used to do a wonderful line in soggy roast potatoes as well. Does your MIL have a similar method. I wish I'd learnt how to do those before she passed on to where great cooks go for recycling.

Sooo lucky.

kulkkulbelle, Mar 14, 11:02pm
Believe but I never usually do, but in this recipe the juices of the tomatoes would retain all the fat which would be all the fat off the lamb. As it is it's easy to lift out of bag on to serving dish and to then spoon over the tomatoes and juices without the need to strain.

Different than a Dutch oven

kulkkulbelle, Mar 14, 11:07pm
P. S. I am so a LAMB FAT ON GAL believe me, and it hurt to take it off! My instinct said leave it on, but the lady I got the recipe from is the best cook I know and I suggest you at least try it that way...

I am trying to think of a way you could get the moisture and leave out tomatoes and incorporate lemons.

What do you reckon to lemons, a trilogy of carrots, celery (not too much) and onion in a good quality lamb stock instead?

I think you'd need a root vege, say whole kumara or spuds. That length of cooking would surely pulverise them though. .

Any ideas?

kulkkulbelle, Mar 14, 11:10pm
That is of course the instinct. I have cooked hundreds of beautiful lamb roast probably fifty different ways, and I only offer this up as something to try, not as reinventing the wheel,

kulkkulbelle, Mar 14, 11:17pm
I am told that the two bags are because the length in the oven once apparently caused the bag to break as it attached to the bottom of the pan...

Maybe one can grease the pan t stop happening? ? ?

roxursox, Mar 15, 12:17am
Hey maxwell long time no see. Thought I would see you in the HPV vax thread, was waiting to hear your opinion on it as I have a miss10. You still got the same e-mail addy? You offered to send me info on vacs a while back.

Great info on roast lamb BTW I might try it out next time I cook lamb

maxwell.inc, Mar 15, 1:06am
ooooh hey rox... sorry I dont come into any or comment on the vax threads on TM. . prefer to talk to ppl who think haha. . you do! so contact me via an auction of mine and I will email u a few sites :o)

buzzy110, Nov 1, 12:05pm
kulkkulbelle. You could try browning onions and adding a cup of orange juice. Preserved lemons would be excellent, but if you haven't made any, then be sure to use Lisbon lemons as they cook up much nicer than the other type.

You could also cut some thick cut potato rounds and put them beneath your lamb.

However this variation, especially with the carrots and celery, sounds more like it is developing into a tagine type method of cooking which, I presume the oven bags are playing proxy for.