Yeast Q

loren8, Mar 14, 4:41am
Is active Yeast and Brewers Yeast the same thing? I am making some dog biscuits and the need Brewers yeast, when I google it I still can't figure out if I can substitute it? DOes any one know... thanks

angel404, Mar 14, 11:11am
im not sure either. but i think that maybe active yeast is for bread and brewers is for beer?

malcovy, Mar 14, 6:33pm
No the two are different and don't substitute ordinary yeast.

cookessentials, Mar 14, 6:40pm
Brewer's yeastis a type of fungus formally known as Saccharomyces cervisiae. Along with other Saccharomyces species, brewer's yeast is used to brew beer and bake some breads, and can also be used as a nutritional supplementin an inactive form. Like other yeasts, brewer's yeast will ferment carbohydrates when it comes into contact with them, forming a froth of carbon dioxide which can ferment grains into beer and cause bread to rise. When used as a dietary supplement, brewer's yeastcan provide the body with a number of essential vitamins and minerals including vitamin B. While brewer's yeastcan be used to bake bread, most bakers use baker's yeast specifically, a sweet and less bitter culture of Sacchraomyces. Brewers yeast will be required for the dog biscuits for nutrition for your dog. I am pretty sure it is available from pharmacies.

2halls, Mar 14, 9:47pm
Brewers Yeast is always in the same aisle at the supermarket as the Healtheries range of specialty flours. It is also a Healtheries product. Alternatively you can always get it at health food stores :-)

buzzy110, Mar 14, 10:03pm
Isn't that the stuff that is also sold as flakes for sprinkling on your food? If it is then that yeast will have been rendered inactive. Presumably it is included in your dog's food to provide the B vitamins for shiny coat, healthy skin, bright eyes and whatever else vitamin B in dogs is supposed to be good for.

desmodean, Mar 14, 10:28pm
Was wondering the same thing, saw it on Oprah and apparantly you can sprinkle brewers yeast on salads, popcorn etc and it helps speed up your metabolism! might get some.

maxwell.inc, Mar 14, 10:50pm
It can also cause gas, bloating, intergestion and a raft of other uncomfortable things. . but it tastes nice. . used to eat it on toast with butter. . until I saw the light.

angel404, Mar 14, 11:42pm
so it gave u the farts then?

loren8, Mar 14, 11:43pm
thanks very much, will pop into the chemist, have looked in the supermarket in the home brewing section and by the ordinary yeasts but not in either, will have a look with the Healtheries stuff... ... THANKS

maxwell.inc, Mar 14, 11:54pm
much worse and very painful - but I have an allergy to 'yeasts' (now I know) so thats probably why.

buzzy110, Mar 15, 1:33am
Yep it does give you flatulence but surely that is a small price to pay for bright eyes and a healthy coat. Dog flatulence is amazingly virulent but I'm not sure if the carnivore digestive system reacts to brewer's yeast the same way as an omnivore's.

ramones67, Mar 15, 1:39am
I have heaps of it if anybody wants any. I get it with my homebrew kits and don't use it as I by a special one.

uli, Mar 15, 1:59am
I am always glad to read cookessentials posts - as they always tell us what to do. So it is in this case.

"Brewers yeast will be required for the dog biscuits for nutrition for your dog. "

Now - how do we actually get all the wild dogs (like dingoes - or even wolves) dosed with this "essential" ingredient in their diet. In fact - why have they not died out by now WITHOUT it? ... .

loren8, Mar 15, 2:24am
not sure if uli was being smart or not lol... . but I am making "no flea" biscuits so maybe the yeast has something to do with that... . wouldn't matter if a dingo had fleas ah! ! !

uli, Mar 15, 2:31am
I hope I am always smart enough :)

ramones67, Mar 15, 2:33am
Oh well not to worry. I'd have given it away too as I have no use for it.

mwood, Nov 2, 3:10am
"Brewer's yeast" (also known as "brewing yeast") can mean any live yeast used in brewing. It can also mean yeast obtained as a by-product of brewing, dried and killed, and used as a dietary supplement for its B vitamin content. In the context you are asking the reference is to the "dead" supplementary yeast not the active brewing yeast. Vegemite is also processed "brewers" yeast but not the flaky product you need. Bin Inn and Supermarket stock all 3 products - take a look and you will see the difference.