How to make yoghurt out of fresh milk

Page 2 / 2
janny3, May 6, 9:45pm
Easiyo satchets average around $3.60 so yes you're better off getting them on special or buying the Hansells $3.20.

Swiss friend gets her milk fresh on the farm so her only outlay is the price of 1/4 pack Easiyo per litre of yoghurt - about 90c

You add $2.40 a litre calci-trim = $3.30.Or a dollop or 3 of fresh yoghurt & 3Tb of milk powder pushes your end yoghurt up to around $3.Not much of a saving... And you still have to scald your milk too.

Can't understand how milk should cost so much.

For me, it's around $1.50 for the non-Fonterror milk but its not calc-itrim & so cheaper yoghurt to make w/ 1/4 satchet of Easiyo.Costs me around $2.40.

Wish I still had the free raw milk tho'.Its not watered down & is undenatured.Scalding it gently enough to make yoghurt doesn't kill off too much of the good stuff.

Good luck.

kuaka, May 6, 10:56pm
I usually stock up on the easiyo when it's on special at under $3 and has bonus points as well (each bonus point is the equivalent of spending $10) and I buy several either greek, natural or a yummy flavour.I don't know why milk costs so much either.I realise I can get it cheaper than the calci-trim, but that's the one we like in our tea (and being "originally English" I do like my tea the way I like it, and not really prepared to cut corners on that to save a few pennies - I'll cut them somewhere else)

janny3, May 7, 1:14am
As for cheaper costs, I've seen yoghurt on special in the supermarket sold for less than the satchets of Easiyo!

Otherwise I go to the dairies that sell 2 litre bottles of milk at $2.95 because its not Fonterror brand.

kuaka, May 7, 1:28am
yes, which was why I asked the question, seeing as the calci-trim which I prefer is $4.79 for 2 litres, so I was thinking it's probably cheaper to just use a sachet of easiyo (bought when it's on special of course) and follow the instructions, ie. yoghurt powder and water.

janny3, May 7, 9:45pm
Easiyo satchets average around $3.60 so yes you're better off getting them on special or buying the Hansells $3.20.

Swiss friend gets her milk fresh on the farm so her only outlay is the price of 1/4 pack Easiyo per litre of yoghurt - about 90c

You add $2.40 a litre calci-trim = $3.30.Or a dollop or 3 of fresh yoghurt & 3Tb of milk powder pushes your end yoghurt up to around $3.Not much of a saving. And you still have to scald your milk too.

Can't understand how milk should cost so much.

For me, it's around $1.50 for the non-Fonterror milk but its not calc-itrim & so cheaper yoghurt to make w/ 1/4 satchet of Easiyo.Costs me around $2.40.

Wish I still had the free raw milk tho'.Its not watered down & is undenatured.Scalding it gently enough to make yoghurt doesn't kill off too much of the good stuff.

Good luck.

kuaka, May 7, 10:56pm
I usually stock up on the easiyo when it's on special at under $3 and has bonus points as well (each bonus point is the equivalent of spending $10) and I buy several either greek, natural or a yummy flavour.I don't know why milk costs so much either.I realise I can get it cheaper than the calci-trim, but that's the one we like in our tea (and being "originally English" I do like my tea the way I like it, and not really prepared to cut corners on that to save a few pennies - I'll cut them somewhere else)

janny3, Oct 10, 2:21pm

beaker59, Oct 10, 3:13pm
I make yogurt about 3 times a week

I use a Yogurt maker I picked up somewhere really cheap.
Wash yogurt container well,
add 2 tablespoons of last batch of yogurt (or a comercial one if the last one has got a bit of off flavour)
pour in 600ml of milk, shake then pour boiling water into yogurt maker to level mark put in the container andleave on bench until next day put container in fridge.

We have noticed health benifits since doing this we (wife and I) have a large bowl with banana and dried currants every day. Definately improved bowel action and no bloaty feelings.

dreamers, Oct 10, 8:29pm
crsdbl wrote:
i use 2T from a sachet of easio natural yoghurt (or simmilar).
2T milk powder ( for thicker yoghurt)
and 1L fresh milk.
make as you would a full sachet using your yoghurt maker.

Would this work with the greek coconut packet or does it have to be plain yoghurt!

purplegoanna, Oct 10, 8:47pm
caspain sea yogurt ROCKS.just add to a ltr of milk, leave in wamr spot or hot water cupboard overnite and the next morning you have a ltr of yogurt.then save one cup of mix for the next batch and your away laughing.

vmax2, Oct 10, 10:05pm
Is that a bit like kefir!I'm really enjoying kefir at the moment in smoothies and I have so much more energy.

janny3, Oct 10, 11:04pm
Where can I get me some of that!

purplegoanna, Oct 10, 11:47pm
trader lenart sells it on here.

245sam, Mar 4, 8:01am
bumped:-))

flower-child01, Mar 5, 1:49am
I have a tried cultures. In the end it is far cheaper to buy a small tub (the double pack you can buy) of Yoplait greek yoghurt. Following generalyoghurt making instructions (heating milk till nearly boiling then cooling till just warm, adding yoghurt in with a wooden or bamboo spoon, no metals, setting it in a warm place/electric yoghurt maker like a kambrook). Ithave 100% sucess batch after batch. Why pay $40 for a starter when you can pay less than $3, and the additives break down more in each batch, plus it is the thickest yoghurt I have ever made, that's in the 15 years of my yoghurt making using many different starters.

angel404, Mar 5, 2:03am
I get my milk straight from the vat ($1.50L). Scald it and then once its cooled to 40degrees i add 1/2tsp of already made yoghurt. I put it in my easiyo maker 6-12hours. Although i don't use boiling water around the outside like u do with the packets. Just 40degree water which is the same temp as the milk. Comes out thick.

nauru, Mar 5, 11:24am
I usually buy the Easiyo Greek yoghurt.Have you tried using that with your method.Just wondering how the end product compared.

lindylambchops1, Mar 6, 1:45am
Very interested to read about 4 granules into UHT Milk shake & yogurt in the morning, is it really as simple & easy as that!I think I might order some granules.So do I not really need to order the Yoghurt recipe!Or do they show other methods!Many thanks for sharing this.TIA

lindylambchops1, Mar 6, 1:47am
I pretty much do this too, but I don't use a Litre of fresh milk & make mine completely with milk powder.

lindylambchops1, Mar 6, 7:48am
Bumping hoping Sandra25 answers questions thanks

sandra25, Mar 6, 8:21am
I went to one of their cheesemaking workshops, and they just told us what to do & showed us the end product. I bought the little container of granules at the workshop and literally just opened the UHT milk, put 4 large granules in (I would think use a few more when there are only small granules left) closed it up & left it overnight. The next morning = yoghurt. They said keep it somewhere warm & I put it in a clillybin with some warm water and left it. I didn't have an actual recipe. I would think the recipe has a specific temperature etc etc.

sandra25, Mar 6, 8:22am
If you make cheese, their cheese cultures are excellent too.

lindylambchops1, Mar 6, 9:34am
Thanks so much Sandra25 for your reply much appreciated.

janny3, Oct 10, 2:21pm