Does anyone have a recipe for eccles cakes?

mikeandange, Mar 13, 9:56pm
They are like a pastry in an oval shpe full of currents. . I have had them but I would like to make them.

harrislucinda, Mar 13, 10:16pm
notsucharecipebutrolloutpastrycutintoroundsaddfillingoffruitsthenfoldallaroundto seal atthebottomflattenthewith aknifecut3holesbrushwithmilkandsprinklewith sugarbakeuntilgolden

kiwitrish, Mar 14, 12:05am
I make the a lot and the recipe I use is from the English Be Ro cook book. They have a great recipe site.
http://www.be-ro.com/

boxsters3, Mar 14, 6:27am
ECCLES CAKES(makes 20-25)from Floriditas

FILLING
75g butter
150g (3/4 cup) soft brown sugar
150g (1 cup) currants
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg grated rind
1 large orange
50g chopped mixed peel

500g flaky pastry
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp castor sugar

METHOD

Preheat oven to 200°C.

Place butter in a small saucepan set over a low heat and melt. Remove from heat and add brown sugar, currants, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange rind and peel and stir to combine.

Roll pasty to 3mm thickness. Using an 8cm cutter cut pastry into 20 -25 rounds.

Place a teaspoon of filling onto each round.

Brush edge of half of the circle of pastry with water and bring other side up to seal it. Pinch well to seal. Turn pastry parcel over so seam is underneath.

Gently roll, or press, flat to approximately 5mm and pat into a round shape.

Place on greased baking sheets and make three diagonal slashes on top of each cake. Rest in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.

Brush with milk and sprinkle with castor sugar. Place in preheated oven and bake for 10- 12 minutes or till golden brown. Remove from tray while cakes are still warm.

trish441, Oct 31, 1:46am
Yummy! ! my mum makes me a whole bucket load of eccles cakes at christmas. She makes her own homemade fruit mince with brown sugar and butter.