Crockpot/slow cooker size?

susievb, Apr 20, 4:45am
I'm wanting a crock pot for 2 people but that can double up on the meal so we can have it the next day or freeze it, I was looking at the cascade one's from the warehouse as they are on special and they have a 2 year warranty. They have a 3L($27.99) and a 5L ($34.99). From reading past posts an oval one would be better as both the cascade ones are round but I'm thinking the 5L would hopefully fit a whole chook and vegs in it with space up the top. Does anyone have any thing bad to say about cascade ones?

lilyfield, Apr 20, 5:32am
I would never buy anything with a name like that.

nfh1, Apr 20, 5:59am
I have a Cascade 5 Litre one - it works fine.I got it from Farmers and it has a 2 Year Warranty, it was half price - I cannot remember how much it was but very cheap.I thought if it lasted 2 years that would be good!I cooked a chicken on Saturday in it and it was lovely. I would definitely go for the big one, only two of us here as well.

fifie, Apr 20, 6:13am
two of us as well , go for the bigger oval one then you can do roasts, chooks, soups, larger amounts to freeze leftovers for non cook days.

elliehen, Apr 20, 6:15am
It does sound like an invitation to a kitchen disaster ;)

nfh1, Apr 20, 6:17am
LOL - I was very slow!

elliehen, Apr 20, 6:22am
You usually beat me to it, nfh1 ;)

nfh1, Apr 20, 6:25am
I needed a prod there elliehen - I thought lilyfield just did not like the brand!!

susievb, Apr 20, 7:31am
I'm off tomorrow to have a look in Kmart, and briscoes to see what brands and prices, and shapes of bowls they offer. So far the 5L cascade one looks good as with a 2 year warranty for $35

kabbo, Apr 20, 8:05am
i've got a big oval one, but find it too big to cook just a casserole for 2.
i have just bought a small round one for that purpose, was on special at half price at farmers.

andrew499, Apr 20, 8:29am
my eight year old Cascade slow cooker is still going strong.It doesn't get used all the time as it's a seven litre one but it's great for a big stew or pot of soup.
cheers

esiuol1, Apr 21, 3:18am
I have a big one and a small one - depending on what I am cooking. They're pretty cheap especially when you can get them 1/2 price at the very rare Briscoes sales!!

kay141, Apr 21, 4:15am
I have a 3L round one and a 5L oval. I use both and there is only me. A casserole made in the large one is 5 or 6 meals and they go in the freezer. I freeze in meal sized portion plastic containers and when frozen, place into labelled freezer bags. Great for meals on busy days, take out of the freezer in the morning and heat at night.

kinna54, Apr 21, 4:17am
We were a famly of four but now we are "Darby and Joan" so a large cooker seems a little silly with very little food in it. In recent times when cooking a small dish I have made a false cover with double layer of aluminium foil folded double round the edges to the shape of the slow cooker. Seems to do the trick.

susievb, Apr 21, 4:45am
I'm wanting a crock pot for 2 people but that can double up on the meal so we can have it the next day or freeze it, I was looking at the cascade one's from the warehouse as they are on special and they have a 2 year warranty. They have a 3L($27.99) and a 5L ($34.99). From reading past posts an oval one would be better as both the cascade ones are round but I'm thinking the 5L would hopefully fit a whole chook and vegs in it with space up the top. Does anyone have any thing bad to say about cascade ones!

susievb, Apr 21, 5:10am
Well I have been around town today, all of the oval ones I have seen are the large 6+ L which is too large for me.
So it looks like a round 5L from cascade -warehouse brand for $35 -at that price and with a 2 year warranty it looks good, I have also been to the library and got 3 slow cooker/crockpot recipe books out so I study them tonight

a_n_h, Apr 21, 5:13am
Hubbies old cascade one is still going strong and its almost 8 years old. 8 Years worth of almost constant use over calving/mating and it never failed. Only recently got a bigger one last year and passed the old on onto my mum and it still works fine

nfh1, Apr 21, 6:25am
I needed a prod there elliehen - I thought lilyfield just did not like the brand!

susievb, Apr 21, 7:31am
I'm off tomorrow to have a look in Kmart, and briscoes to see what brands and prices, and shapes of bowls they offer. So far the 5L cascade one looks good as with a 2 year warranty for $35

kabbo, Apr 21, 8:05am
i've got a big oval one, but find it too big to cook just a casserole for 2.
i have just bought a small round one for that purpose, was on special at half price at farmers.

andrew499, Apr 21, 8:29am
my eight year old Cascade slow cooker is still going strong.It doesn't get used all the time as it's a seven litre one but it's great for a big stew or pot of soup.
cheers

peneve, Apr 22, 1:02am
We too have a round 3L & oval 5L - vary between them depending on what we are cookign & how much.They are the best things ever!!!

esiuol1, Apr 22, 3:18am
I have a big one and a small one - depending on what I am cooking. They're pretty cheap especially when you can get them 1/2 price at the very rare Briscoes sales!

peneve, Apr 23, 1:02am
We too have a round 3L & oval 5L - vary between them depending on what we are cookign & how much.They are the best things ever!