Bottled spaghetti

Page 2 / 2
pickles7, Apr 16, 11:00pm
thank you.purplepassdee.Yes, as I remember my kids loved the home made spaghetti. With the way things are going, families are going to have to get back to more meatless meals.

pickles7, Apr 16, 11:32pm
Thank you for your recipe.
I bottle pasta sauces.stu.they are handy even to throw in a stir fry.I want to have ready to serve jars now. The Christchurch dilemma, has made me rethink, on frozen foods.

grannypam, Apr 17, 1:21am
ahhh this brings back lots of memories .mostly good ones but I also remember one year when good spahetti turned bad for Mum.

The lids all lifted as the spaghetti went bad and fermented .it was like it had a life of its own.oozing everywhere.lol

pickles7, Apr 17, 1:43am
You should not have sneaked the lids open and stuck ya fingers in.grannypam.
I found a jar of peaches with the lid sitting on top. thank goodness it did not ferment. It must have just happened as we moved. The worms, got a sugar rush. lol.

elliehen, Apr 17, 1:51am
There have always been issues around the safety of bottled spaghetti when the pasta is included.I think nowadays, it's probably better to bottle the sauce by itself.

There's no real time-saving or flavour advantage in including the pasta and my memory of eating Grandma's bottled spaghetti is that the pasta tended to be flabby and not 'al dente'.

jbsouthland, Apr 17, 3:18am
Brings back fondmemories.bottled Spaghetti was yummy andhomemade Baked Beans with bacon in it nice too.hated tinned spaghetti ,still do.Our pasta was al dente.Loved Red cabbage pickle too.

janny3, Apr 17, 9:09am
Thanks for your recipe.You're so right about it being better than the tinned stuff.

My mum used to make this in huge Agee jars.She counted the jars full on the shelf, in case one of us sneaked a jar.How do you cook the pasta, half done & stuffed first into the jars topped up w/ your sauce!

uli, Feb 21, 5:09am
bump for rae226.

gadgetman, Feb 23, 7:18pm
I never understood bottled spaghetti! Why would anyone buy or make that when cooking a spaghetti is so easy and fast. Am I missing some major culinary Kiwi treat!

pickles7, Feb 23, 9:01pm
No, just convenient sometimes to open a jar and, heat "n" eat. I don't actually bottle it now with the spaghetti, I just bottle the sauce.

nik12, Feb 24, 11:21am
Golly I missed this first time around, but yeah, I'd totally forgotten how good Mum and Nana's botteled spag was! Tomato and onion. on toast with and egg on top.yuuummm! Cost wise these days! Dunno, but so much better than watties (and I don't hate watties spag)Can't say anyting about baked beans, coz they just don't do it for me lol

rozke, Mar 19, 2:00am
went camping in the 60s with little money approx 8 of us my gran bought a lot of this with her and of course the money ran out after about a week and we lived onhomemade spaghetti.Had it so often it sent us silly! For breakfast lunch and teaThats the name we give it now(Send me Silly)Cheers