Bottled spaghetti

Page 1 / 2
motorbo, Feb 21, 5:42am
does anyone have the old emonds recipe with the spagetti bottled with the sauce!

uli, Feb 21, 6:15am
Why on earth would you want to do that!
I love spaghetti just cooked - not the soft worms that come out of a can.

It takes you about 15 minutes to whip up a fresh sauce and boil the spaghetti while you do that - why would you go to hours of work to "bottle them" and risk botulism in due course too!

motorbo, Feb 21, 6:20am
Uli.why i want this recipe is frankly none of your business.so i wont answer u

pickles7, Apr 15, 9:51pm
How many people bottle there own spaghetti??/
I have bottles spaghetti, I will try and find the recipe I used.
I know it had 1lb of butter added at the end of cooking.
Has anyone got that recipe???

kirinesha, Apr 15, 10:34pm
Goodness, my grandmother used to do this. It was a real treat to have it when we were kids with freshly picked tomatoes from her garden. :)

vintagekitty, Apr 15, 10:36pm
Not me im afraid, not when tinned spagetti is 89c a tin.
Ive never tasted home made spagetti, is it just like cooked spagetti then bottled?

purplepassdee, Apr 15, 10:44pm
I have my mum's recipe for Spaghetti.
12lbs Tomatoes, 2lbs Onions, 4oz butter, 2 dsp common salt, 1tsp pepper, 1cup Sugar & 1lb Spaghetti.
Homemade Spaghetti is beautiful and when you make your own you will never buy the tinned stuff again.
Enjoy pickles :-)

pickles7, Apr 15, 10:53pm
I have a freezer I am emptying, and wanting to use up the tomatoes. I could bottle enough baked beans and spaghetti for two years, with them. I used frozen tomatoes to the equivalent of two cans in the baked bean, recipe.

pickles7, Apr 15, 11:00pm
thank you....purplepassdee....Yes, as I remember my kids loved the home made spaghetti. With the way things are going, families are going to have to get back to more meatless meals.

stu3, Apr 15, 11:23pm
I only make and bottle the tomato mix and then I can serve it with fesh made pasta or storebought spaghetti or spirals. I freeze the tomatoes and make it in the winter when I have more time.Recipe-
3 Kg tomatoes; 2 med onions; 125g grated cheese; 125g chopped bacon; 50g butter; 75g sugar; 1 Tb salt; pepper.
Chop tomatoes and onions and bring to boil, add rest ingreds and simmer 30 mins. Pour into jars and seal. May need to thicken a little with cornflour if tomatoes too watery. Can add crushed garlic or chilli if liked.

pickles7, Apr 15, 11:32pm
Thank you for your recipe.
I bottle pasta sauces....stu...they are handy even to throw in a stir fry..I want to have ready to serve jars now. The Christchurch dilemma, has made me rethink, on frozen foods.

kirinesha, Apr 16, 1:03am
A million times nicer :)

vintagekitty, Apr 16, 1:12am
Actually, im now going to save this and give it a go in summer when I have tomatoes, so cheers!

grannypam, Apr 16, 1:21am
ahhh this brings back lots of memories ..mostly good ones but I also remember one year when good spahetti turned bad for Mum.

The lids all lifted as the spaghetti went bad and fermented ..it was like it had a life of its own..oozing everywhere..lol

pickles7, Apr 16, 1:43am
You should not have sneaked the lids open and stuck ya fingers in....grannypam....
I found a jar of peaches with the lid sitting on top. thank goodness it did not ferment. It must have just happened as we moved. The worms, got a sugar rush. lol.

elliehen, Apr 16, 1:51am
There have always been issues around the safety of bottled spaghetti when the pasta is included.I think nowadays, it's probably better to bottle the sauce by itself.

There's no real time-saving or flavour advantage in including the pasta and my memory of eating Grandma's bottled spaghetti is that the pasta tended to be flabby and not 'al dente'.

pickles7, Apr 16, 2:02am
Maybe I should look into citric acid, I think 1/2 tsp to each 1/2 liter. That will sort out the baked beans as well. Tomatoes need an acid, to be added.

motorbo, Apr 16, 3:03am
x1
ohh memories, my mum used to make it when i was little

jbsouthland, Apr 16, 3:18am
Brings back fondmemories...bottled Spaghetti was yummy andhomemade Baked Beans with bacon in it nice too....hated tinned spaghetti ,still do.Our pasta was al dente...Loved Red cabbage pickle too.

pericles, Apr 16, 3:21am
you have to from the South, same things I grew up with

rainrain1, Apr 16, 6:17am
I bottled some once as a lot younger chic. Surprised myself as it was really quite nice.Nothing at all like the tinned spag though

janny3, Apr 16, 9:09am
Thanks for your recipe.You're so right about it being better than the tinned stuff.

My mum used to make this in huge Agee jars.She counted the jars full on the shelf, in case one of us sneaked a jar.How do you cook the pasta, half done & stuffed first into the jars topped up w/ your sauce?

pickles7, Apr 16, 9:51pm
How many people bottle there own spaghetti!/
I have bottles spaghetti, I will try and find the recipe I used.
I know it had 1lb of butter added at the end of cooking.
Has anyone got that recipe!

vintagekitty, Apr 16, 10:36pm
Not me im afraid, not when tinned spagetti is 89c a tin.
Ive never tasted home made spagetti, is it just like cooked spagetti then bottled!

purplepassdee, Apr 16, 10:44pm
I have my mum's recipe for Spaghetti.
12lbs Tomatoes, 2lbs Onions, 4oz butter, 2 dsp common salt, 1tsp pepper, 1cup Sugar & 1lb Spaghetti.
Homemade Spaghetti is beautiful and when you make your own you will never buy the tinned stuff again.
Enjoy pickles :-)