Od fashioned Curry and Rice please.

sammaia, Apr 8, 11:08pm
Does anyone have a recipe for old fashioned Curry and Rice please. The one with sultannas and apple in, it is also a sweet curry. I would appreciate it please.
Thankyou.

dezzie, Apr 8, 11:30pm
x1
Cook together 2 apples and 2 onions in a frying pan with 50 grams ofbutter, when soft throw in about a cup of flour and your curry powder (not saying how much as the hotness varies so much) stir into a kind of roux (until theres no flour left that isn't coating the apple and onion) add stock.
I usually put my mince in a pot and give it a quick boil, then use the water from that, as the stock.
Stir until it thickens, then add a handful of sultana's and I usually cheat and add a couple of tablespoons of sugar as well, and salt and pepper to taste, add the mince, and simmer gently for at least an hour.

sammaia, Apr 9, 1:18am
Thankyou for this I will give it a try.

jessie981, Apr 9, 1:26am
x7
Curry & Rice (Edmonds)
500gr meat
oil
1 onion & apple
25gr flour
1 dessertspoon of curry powder & chutney
1tsp salt
450ml boiling water
2 oxo cubes
Heat oil & lightly fry onion, add cut up apple & meat coated in flour
Add curry powder & seasoning, then add oxo cubes which have been dissolved in the boiling water
Bring to simmering point & coat gently 2hrs (If you use mince lessen cooking time)
Coconut, raisins or sultanas can be added.
Serve with boiled rice

nickyd, Apr 9, 1:39am
x1
This is a great one- from the 70's and so non authentic yet everyone loves it -

Beef CurryBest flavour if made day before.

500g Blade Steak chopped1 t mixed herbs
1 clove garlicsalt and pepper
1 onion chopped2 T (or more) sultanas
1 t ground ginger (optional)either2 T brown sugar & 2 T chutney
1 T curry powderor 2 T apricot jam
1Granny Smith apple600ml - 1litre beef stock

Peel and chop garlic and apple.
Fry onion lightly, add apple and garlic and cook until soft.
Add curry powder and stir until well mixed.
Add meat, then stock, then other ingredients.
Simmer 2 - 2 ½ hours.
Add additional water through cooking if necessary.

Can be frozen and reheated.

sammaia, Apr 10, 6:27am
Thank you very much to the people who sent me a recipe .

korbo, Apr 10, 8:38am
love the one from the 70's and made it the other day. hadnt made it for years. went down really well. I remember do's and there was always a curry meat dish like this....

tigerlilly16, Apr 11, 4:45am
Mum always used to make this using leftover roast beef chopped in fine cubes also a diced carrot was added, along with diced apple and sultanas. I am not that big a fan of sweet stuff in savoury dishes, well certainly wasn't as a small child, but I used to love this, it all came to an end when my dad discovered real curries and started grinding his own spices to make SUPER hot curries using lamb-flaps as the meat - curry night went from being one of my favourites to one of my most dreaded!

jessie981, Apr 11, 5:01am
elliehen, what does the above mean please?

elliehen, Apr 11, 6:15am
Wise eastie3 suggests that we roll our eyes and move on without comment when someone makes a snide post...

jessie981, Apr 11, 8:22pm
ok, see what you mean after rereading the post. have a good day

elliehen, Apr 11, 10:21pm
Yes, jessie...this is exactly what the OP was asking for :)

niffer13, Jul 30, 1:54am
I always put curry powder in pot first with butter & cook trying not to burn then add onion & saute, then meat. Next comes stock or water with what every you fancy soysauce, chutney or jam etc. I simmer & add diced apple sultanan/rasins, pineapple pieces if I have any & grated squash or pumpkin[thickens & sweetens curry] I never thicken with flour sometimes I add kiwi fruit & before serving add sliced banana & long shredded coconut. Serve on rice.

elliehen, Jul 30, 4:55am
In between the starting of this thread by sammaia and the bumping of it by niffer13, I went to listen to a talk by celebrated chef Anthony Bourdain (the skinny New Yorker who goes around the world eating every part of the animal and presenting it on TV!).

He said the concept of 'authentic' is unreal because recipes are constantly evolving - like language.I'd suggest that you could say that nickyd's, jessie981's, tigerlilly16's, dezzie's and niffer13's recipes all represent 'authentic' 1970s New Zealand (maybe 1950s/1960s too) and they are just as valid as any others.

...and obviously much enjoyed by many nostalgic posters :)

elliehen, Jul 31, 4:55am
In between the starting of this thread by sammaia and the bumping of it by niffer13, I went to listen to a talk by celebrated chef Anthony Bourdain (the skinny New Yorker who goes around the world eating every part of the animal and presenting it on TV!).

He said the concept of 'authentic' is unreal because recipes are constantly evolving - like language.I'd suggest that you could say that nickyd's, jessie981's, tigerlilly16's, dezzie's and niffer13's recipes all represent 'authentic' 1970s New Zealand (maybe 1950s/1960s too) and they are just as valid as any others.

.and obviously much enjoyed by many nostalgic posters :)

dezzie, Apr 8, 11:30pm
Cook together 2 apples and 2 onions in a frying pan with 50 grams ofbutter, when soft throw in about a cup of flour and your curry powder (not saying how much as the hotness varies so much) stir into a kind of roux (until theres no flour left that isn't coating the apple and onion) add stock.
I usually put my mince in a pot and give it a quick boil, then use the water from that, as the stock.
Stir until it thickens, then add a handful of sultana's and I usually cheat and add a couple of tablespoons of sugar as well, and salt and pepper to taste, add the mince, and simmer gently for at least an hour.

nickyd, Apr 9, 1:39am
This is a great one- from the 70's and so non authentic yet everyone loves it -

Beef Curry- best flavour if made day before.

500g Blade Steak chopped
1 t mixed herbs
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper
1 onion chopped
2 T (or more) sultanas
1 t ground ginger (optional)
either2 T brown sugar & 2 T chutney
or 2 T apricot jam
1 T curry powder
1Granny Smith apple
600ml - 1litre beef stock

Peel and chop garlic and apple.
Fry onion lightly, add apple and garlic and cook until soft.
Add curry powder and stir until well mixed.
Add meat, then stock, then other ingredients.
Simmer 2 - 2 ½ hours.
Add additional water through cooking if necessary.

Can be frozen and reheated.

korbo, Apr 10, 8:38am
love the one from the 70's and made it the other day. hadnt made it for years. went down really well. I remember do's and there was always a curry meat dish like this.

tigerlilly16, Apr 11, 4:45am
Mum always used to make this using leftover roast beef chopped in fine cubes also a diced carrot was added, along with diced apple and sultanas. I am not that big a fan of sweet stuff in savoury dishes, well certainly wasn't as a small child, but I used to love this, it all came to an end when my dad discovered real curries and started grinding his own spices to make SUPER hot curries using lamb-flaps as the meat - curry night went from being one of my favourites to one of my most dreaded!

jessie981, Apr 11, 5:01am
elliehen, what does the above mean please!

elliehen, Apr 11, 6:15am
Wise eastie3 suggests that we roll our eyes and move on without comment when someone makes a snide post.

elliehen, Apr 11, 10:21pm
Yes, jessie.this is exactly what the OP was asking for :)