Pre-prepared curry sauce/paste

donna23, Mar 31, 7:06pm
Have browned beef for curry but want to get a nice, already prepared curry sauce to go with it, have never brought it before-any recommendations???, thanks

nzl99, Mar 31, 7:51pm
I know you want to buy one... but making your own is soooooo simple!But that's not what you asked... :PWhat type of curry are you wanting to make?Indian, Thai...etc

donna23, Mar 31, 8:00pm
Indian curry but fairly mild

oakhills, Mar 31, 8:09pm
I agree:But I know it is difficult to understand HOW easy, when you havent done it before.
If you are going to go with a pre-prepared, like a Korma or Madras, I prefer to use the ones in the packets (purple?) cant remember the brand.
If you want to try it yourself, grab some of your favourite spices, make into a paste with a bit of water and let stand for an hour or so (if you have time) then fry paste in either ghee or oil, maybe with onions, garlic etc, add your preferred medium (coconut cream, tomato, yoghurt, whichever) and finally your meat and voila!

nzl99, Mar 31, 11:37pm
Think that's the Pataks and they seem to be OK.I think most of them are fairly nice really... there is a huge variance in what's in the packets depending on the brand... so it really is just personal taste.

ruby19, Apr 1, 5:44am
If I was using packet I would use the Asian Gourmet ones, that arein purple packet also, well the indian varieties anyway. You do have to add the tomatoes onions etc.

cheapmike, Apr 1, 11:40am
Once you make a curry paste yourself and make a curry with it you will never go back to packets. I doubted but spent the money purchasing the main spices and it is really worth the effort. I have made korma and butter chicken and a couple of others for my family and they loved it. The best thing is once you have made it you can adjust the taste to suit you. Making something like garam masala is the key. I can post the Butter Chicken recipe I use if you want tomorrow.

donna23, Apr 1, 8:06pm
Have browned beef for curry but want to get a nice, already prepared curry sauce to go with it, have never brought it before-any recommendations!, thanks

nzl99, Apr 1, 8:51pm
I know you want to buy one. but making your own is soooooo simple!But that's not what you asked. :PWhat type of curry are you wanting to make!Indian, Thai.etc

oakhills, Apr 1, 9:09pm
I agree:But I know it is difficult to understand HOW easy, when you havent done it before.
If you are going to go with a pre-prepared, like a Korma or Madras, I prefer to use the ones in the packets (purple!) cant remember the brand.
If you want to try it yourself, grab some of your favourite spices, make into a paste with a bit of water and let stand for an hour or so (if you have time) then fry paste in either ghee or oil, maybe with onions, garlic etc, add your preferred medium (coconut cream, tomato, yoghurt, whichever) and finally your meat and voila!

nzl99, Apr 2, 12:37am
Think that's the Pataks and they seem to be OK.I think most of them are fairly nice really. there is a huge variance in what's in the packets depending on the brand. so it really is just personal taste.

r-mvz, Apr 4, 7:48am
Pataks, excellent

fisher, Apr 4, 8:17am
Curry Powder(This is Madras style curry powder)
2 1/2 tbspCoriander Seeds
2 tspGarlic Powder
1 tbspGround Cumin
2 tspGround Turmeric
1 tspGround Ginger
1 tspChilli Seasoning
1/2 tspGround Allspice
1 tbspSalt
1 tbspGround Black Pepper
1/2 tbspDry Mustard
1/4 tspSaffron

Grind the coriander seeds, (sieve if any large husks remain).
Blendall of the ingredient together and store in an airtight jar.
This recipe makes 3 ounces of curry powder.

Hmmm:Maybe not so mild.. Just adjust to your tastes...

fisher, Apr 5, 8:17am
Curry Powder(This is Madras style curry powder)
2 1/2 tbspCoriander Seeds
2 tspGarlic Powder
1 tbspGround Cumin
2 tspGround Turmeric
1 tspGround Ginger
1 tspChilli Seasoning
1/2 tspGround Allspice
1 tbspSalt
1 tbspGround Black Pepper
1/2 tbspDry Mustard
1/4 tspSaffron

Grind the coriander seeds, (sieve if any large husks remain).
Blendall of the ingredient together and store in an airtight jar.
This recipe makes 3 ounces of curry powder.

Hmmm:Maybe not so mild. Just adjust to your tastes.