Pease help with my 'Indian' curry

stefanie, Mar 16, 1:40am
Hi, I made a receipe for an Indain (style) vegetable curry and it's missing something. It tastes hot (we like it very hot), but not much flavour.
I did omit the lentils and I think that was a mistake, however it does taste quite 'Indian' (I have been in India several years ago)
The main spices are: black mustartd seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, curry paste, ginger, chillie and onion.
Do you have any idea what I could add? (I was hoping for fresh herbs..but I don't think it's a main ingredient in Indian cooking).

davidt4, Mar 16, 2:19am
Fresh coriander leaves will help.They are extremely common in Indian dishes.

Does the curry need more salt?I find that I need more salt in highly spiced dishes to balance the flavours.

aadunn77, Mar 16, 2:46am
Ground cashews? Gives thickness, creaminess and saltyness.Id also add corriander powder

nauru, Mar 16, 3:46am
Yes, definitely coriander leaves before serving. Also add garlic, turmeric and coriander seeds with other spices.

stefanie, Mar 16, 4:04am
Thanks a lot to all!

omokoroa1, Mar 16, 4:21am
hello stefanie
have you ever tried tamarind in your curries?
try it one day tamarind chutney or tamarind with sugar which you can buy at asian stores or moshimsor pak n save

ferita, Mar 16, 4:43am
cream and salt

lizab, Mar 16, 4:47am
nutmeg, garlic and tomato paste

frances1266, Mar 16, 4:55am
coriander, salt and lemon juice at end of cooking plus ginger, turmeric, cumin and coriander all give flavour

antoniab, Mar 16, 6:05am
Garam masala if often added at the end of a curry to give extra taste and it doesnt require 'cooking off' like the other spices do at the start so you dont get that raw spice taste :)

julie_, Mar 16, 10:34am
kaffir lime leaves?fresh coriander definitely!you can add all the coriander - roots, stalks, leaves.The roots have the most flavour & the leaves the least.

stefanie, Mar 17, 1:40am
Hi, I made a receipe for an Indain (style) vegetable curry and it's missing something. It tastes hot (we like it very hot), but not much flavour.
I did omit the lentils and I think that was a mistake, however it does taste quite 'Indian' (I have been in India several years ago)
The main spices are: black mustartd seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, curry paste, ginger, chillie and onion.
Do you have any idea what I could add! (I was hoping for fresh herbs.but I don't think it's a main ingredient in Indian cooking).

davidt4, Mar 17, 2:19am
Fresh coriander leaves will help.They are extremely common in Indian dishes.

Does the curry need more salt!I find that I need more salt in highly spiced dishes to balance the flavours.

aadunn77, Mar 17, 2:46am
Ground cashews! Gives thickness, creaminess and saltyness.Id also add corriander powder

omokoroa1, Mar 17, 4:21am
hello stefanie
have you ever tried tamarind in your curries!
try it one day tamarind chutney or tamarind with sugar which you can buy at asian stores or moshimsor pak n save

antoniab, Mar 17, 6:05am
Garam masala if often added at the end of a curry to give extra taste and it doesnt require 'cooking off' like the other spices do at the start so you dont get that raw spice taste :)

julie_, Mar 17, 10:34am
kaffir lime leaves!fresh coriander definitely!you can add all the coriander - roots, stalks, leaves.The roots have the most flavour & the leaves the least.