Crayfish

seniorbones, Apr 4, 9:33am
what can i do with it! apart from just eating it with a salad, its a biggy and husband cooked it straight away whichwas annoying as I had a recipe to cook in a lime and horseradish sauce from raw in the shells, I have found a risotto recipe for salmon and pea and thought maybe I could do that and add the cray at the end to gently heat through? this is for tomorrow nights tea.

caterpillar2003, Apr 4, 12:02pm
we love quiche ... its such a sweet meat ... goes well with chillie sauce in the mix ... we had one last week ... great hot ... even better cold the next day.Enjoy!

rozigurl, Apr 4, 3:08pm
My aunty made this wonderful seafood pie with it, basically just sauted onions salt n pepper a bit or herbs bits of crayfish broken up and to top it off, wait for it a blue cheese sauce, amazing topped with potato and baked in the oven til golden brown. I know blue cheese is a scary one for most people but wow does it have a bang when its made as a cheesy sauce crayfish pie. It is to die for. Its got just enough creamyness, just enough bitterness and just enough sweetness to make everything a ok!

rozigurl, Apr 4, 3:09pm
Note to everyone, no the blue cheese sauce does not taste like horrible blue cheese on its own, something magical happens with all the flavours.

cookessentials, Apr 4, 6:54pm
You could make a lovely seafood chowder Maureen and put in cray, mussels,prawns etc. We have three in the freezer and more to come. A client of DH gets them out at Ngawi.

rainrain1, Apr 4, 7:56pm
Mornay Sauce
28gr butter
2 Tblsp flour
57gr cheese (appox) more or less depends how much you love it
1+1/4-2 cups of boiling milk
1/2 tsp salt
Melt butter in pot and add the flour. Cook slowly for 2 minutes, don't let it brown.remove from heat and wait till it stops bubbling. Using a wire whisk, beat in about half the boiling milk. Don't add any more milk until you have it nice and smooth from whisking. Now thin sauce out with rest of milk until it lighly coats a wooden spoon. Put sauce back on heat until it boils for a minute or two, then add the cheese and salt to taste.
Add your cooked cut up cray....or split cray lenghways and serve mornay and cray meat back in the crust

rainrain1, Apr 4, 8:03pm
Or make crepes and serve mornay rolled up inside, You could add shrimps, diced fish,oysters etc, by heating the mornay sauce just long enough to cook the additions

omokoroa1, Apr 5, 1:57am
hmmmmm put it back in the water point it towards Taurangaactually point him towards Waihi beach .......HAHA ill pick him up at the Matakana end of Bowentown.........dont leave it too late will be dark soon and he wont be able to find his way..........cheers

evebee, Apr 5, 3:00am
Crayfish and Oyster Mornay
make a mornay sauce and add chopped up crayfish and some oysters cut into thirds. Put in a casserole disy and cover with breadcrumbs and a little grated cheese. cook 180 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. .Absolutely lovely.

seniorbones, Apr 5, 9:33am
what can i do with it! apart from just eating it with a salad, its a biggy and husband cooked it straight away whichwas annoying as I had a recipe to cook in a lime and horseradish sauce from raw in the shells, I have found a risotto recipe for salmon and pea and thought maybe I could do that and add the cray at the end to gently heat through! this is for tomorrow nights tea.

caterpillar2003, Apr 5, 12:02pm
we love quiche . its such a sweet meat . goes well with chillie sauce in the mix . we had one last week . great hot . even better cold the next day.Enjoy!

rainrain1, Apr 5, 7:56pm
Mornay Sauce
28gr butter
2 Tblsp flour
57gr cheese (appox) more or less depends how much you love it
1+1/4-2 cups of boiling milk
1/2 tsp salt
Melt butter in pot and add the flour. Cook slowly for 2 minutes, don't let it brown.remove from heat and wait till it stops bubbling. Using a wire whisk, beat in about half the boiling milk. Don't add any more milk until you have it nice and smooth from whisking. Now thin sauce out with rest of milk until it lighly coats a wooden spoon. Put sauce back on heat until it boils for a minute or two, then add the cheese and salt to taste.
Add your cooked cut up cray.or split cray lenghways and serve mornay and cray meat back in the crust

omokoroa1, Apr 6, 1:57am
hmmmmm put it back in the water point it towards Taurangaactually point him towards Waihi beach .HAHA ill pick him up at the Matakana end of Bowentown.dont leave it too late will be dark soon and he wont be able to find his way.cheers