Crayfish

sooseque, Apr 25, 5:59am
We have been given a couple of raw, frozen crayfish tails, what is the best way to cook these please

buzzy110, Apr 25, 11:10pm
Normally we steam our crayfish until the shell turns orange. Then it is done. However, those are whole.

My suggestion would be to semi-defrost (I never fully defrost seafood as it should never be brought to room temperature for cooking, unlike meat). From there you have two options. The first is to remove the inside skin/shell bit which comes out easily. Or the second is to cut in half lengthwise through the shell - if that makes sense. Heat up the bbq hot plate, pour melted butter and rub seasonings to taste onto the flesh of the crayfish and cook on the hot hotplate, shell side down at first and then finish off with the meat side down.

You could grill in your oven if you prefer. In which case I would just keep them flesh side up.

Crayfish does not take a long time to cook so watch carefully.

golfdiver, Apr 25, 11:26pm
I would thaw them, ensuring they are draining, cut down the centre lengthwise. Remove the defecation tube. Then' pour boiling water over the shell side. (this just cooks the outside enough to make it easy to remove from the shell. Then, cover the flesh with your favourite dressing, Sweet chilli, garlic butter, horseradish, etc etc. and then barbecue.

buzzy110, Apr 25, 11:37pm
Thanks golfdiver. I'll add this to my accumulated knowledge for the future as well.New ideas are always welcome.

sooseque, Sep 28, 11:50am
Many thanks for your replies