Whats a nice way to have prawns ???

Page 1 / 3
effcee1, Dec 30, 2:37am
I have purchased some cooked prawns for new years eve dinner & was wondering what would be a nice way to have them, (remembering im only a mere male ) so dont know much about these things.

macac, Dec 30, 2:53am
An easy nibble is french breadloafsliced up a spread of cream cheese some cooked prawns, then a dribble of sweat chilli sauce on each slice. Very popular

pp11, Dec 30, 2:55am
Prawns are nice fried simply in butter and garlic with a sauce for dipping, sweet chilli, homemade mayo etc.

Or you could make kebabs with pineapple, peppers etc and glaze.

Depends on whether it's a nice dinner for yourself or if you have guests.

I feel like prawns now yum.

buzzy110, Dec 30, 3:38am
Cooked prawns are nice just as they are. You could make a mayonnaise if you like, or some people quite like sweet Thai chilli sauce. Just heat that up and put in a bowl for dipping.

Presumably you will peel the shell off the tail of the prawns and de-vein them but you can leave on the head if you like.

prawn_whiskas, Dec 30, 3:58am
Cruelty towards prawns *sobs*

allie12, Dec 30, 4:28am
lovely marinated in maple syrup and cooked on the barbe

uli, Dec 30, 4:46am
We won't pull tail off prawn_whiskas :)

racheal77, Dec 30, 6:16am
fried in butter, garlic and chilli or rissoto with parmasain

ams7, Dec 30, 6:40am
Have you seen the food in a minute recipe this week, looks good.

sumstyle, Dec 30, 6:48am
tonight I used my prawns in a stir fry with udon noodles, courgettes, spring onions and a sauce I made from chili jam (Annabel Langbein's recipe)

jillybeans2, Dec 30, 7:01am
Make a seafood kebab for the bbq with fresh mussels, cod chunks, scallops? tomatoes.

prawn_whiskas, Dec 30, 7:23am
Arghhh don't pull nuffin off! I shall sob for my poor lost brothers and sisters.

uli, Dec 30, 7:40am
Now what is "parmasain" I wonder?

uli, Dec 30, 7:41am
You could make them into some sort of jam maybe too?

budgel, Dec 30, 7:52am
Try this:Equal proportions of sesame oil, soft brown sugar, red curry.

(change proportions to suit your taste)

Mix ingredients together, cook prawns until ready to serve, dip prawns in sauce, place on barbie for 20seconds each side and serve.

Delicious!

prawn_whiskas, Dec 30, 7:53am
Ahhh but, we are such sweet creatures anyway *flutters whiskers* no need for added sugar.

macandrosie, Dec 31, 6:20am
coat with flour then beaten egg then cover with chili 5 spice powder. PAn fry for a couple of mins then dip intosome garlic aioli with a bit of lime juice added. Nice entree.

0800xford, Dec 31, 6:40am
whatever my neighbour does to his, i think it's just garlic + prawn + bbq = omg

rainrain1, Dec 31, 7:00am
I hate messing with those prawns which are cooked and unshelled, what a pain trying to get them out of their armour. I bought 2 trays recently and it took me forever to strip the little dudes of their red jackets....never again will I indulge, unless they are totally naked for me to do whatever i wish with

uli, Dec 31, 8:06am
Well - since I know how those "lovely" chinese/vietnamese/thai etc prawns are "made" - I entirely refuse to buy them.

The Australian wild caught ones (which we seem to get only this time of year) are great!

So buy lots now and keep them in the freezer for the rest of the year.

ant_sonja, Dec 31, 7:04pm
I pretty much haven't bought or eaten prawns due to that reason - where do you get the Australian wild caught ones? Supermarkets? Fish monger?

I have looked & asked around locally but haven't been able to find any from a decent source :-(

prawn_whiskas, Dec 31, 8:48pm
My Aussie brothers are normally sold in Countdown here, they start to appear at the fish counter around late October and stick around until early February.They are frozen and sold either that way or defrosted.Start out around $35kg and drop to $25kg over Christmas month.

ant_sonja, Dec 31, 8:54pm
thanks prawn :-) Will have another look-see at countdown then.

uli, Dec 31, 9:09pm
Just check your advertising pamphlets. Usually you get them from Countdown, Woolworths or New World in the fresh fish department.

Currently the lovely Mooloolaba Prawns are about $25 per kg at New World (offer ends tomorrow) and you will get about 20 per kilo.

I ask to get the frozen ones from the store room rather than the semi thawed ones in the display. They come in cooked or raw.

Sometimes you can also buy them from the wholesalers by the carton lot. As they are free flow you can repack at home into the portions you want to have.

kiwibubbles, Dec 31, 9:13pm
gonna tell us about these chinese/vietnamese/thai prawns?