One Arm Recipes

donnabeth, Dec 18, 1:52am
My friend has a broken arm(her dominant side) and in plaster almost to her shoulder. She can't peel or spread or cut and has little strength to lift things like trays with her left hand.

ACC covers home help, but her friends are chipping in to help her with things like lunches and snacks.

Apart from sandwiches, what can we make that will be easy to prepare/serve/eat?

Is there anything we can make to help with her Christmas dinner?

Her all male family isn't too bright at thinking how they could help her. They fix themselves a simple snack but don't think to make any for her.

noonesgirl, Dec 18, 2:55am
go for platters of cold meats, salads, fruit salad, nibbles etc

speckle77, Dec 18, 4:36am
Quiche.
Egg & bacon pie.
Fritatta (sp).
Shrimp+avocado+tomato+lettuce/-
capsicum etc with sauce/dressing.
They can be eaten cold too for snacks/lunches.
Cocktail type things like mini meatballs, mini samosas, etc for snacks, popcorn (in airlock bag will keep),

Easy to reheat things (she may still need help to lift it, but she might be able to get the males to help?):
Lasagne, spaghetti bolognaise, meatballs, pie, chicken filo parcels then add salad.

elliehen, Dec 18, 4:42am
Invite her out BY HERSELF to your place to eat, and leave her self-centred all-male household to snack away by themselves!

melissarosenz, Dec 18, 4:49am
*like*

Failing that, maybe just make a whole lot of 'frozen' meals for her that she can reheat.Sorry I don't have any better suggestions!

ashanti, Dec 18, 5:09am
If you do make frozen meals for her, make sure the top can be taken off easily, even the simple act of taking a lid off an icecream container can be nearly impossible (speaking from past experience when I was one armed for 3 months) and yes- the males not thinking about the female sounds far too familiar.

fauna1, Dec 18, 5:58am
elliehen - great idea - I was going to suggest meals that the males would turn their noses up at!!! If you knew any of their pet hates .......

donnabeth, Dec 18, 8:27pm
I cut up some chicken into bite size pieces along with tiny potatoes and frozen veges----and sealed them in special Glad containers with tight lids so the contents didn't spill.

I've probably added to her torture by giving her something she can look at when she's hungry but not open.

It's given me something to think about though, all those things that we do automatically that impact on others. Thanks for your suggestions.

dbab, Dec 18, 9:47pm
I would challenge her male family to help. Surely they can use a peeler or light a barbecue. She could oversee everything and tell them what to do and when to do it!

greerg, Nov 12, 6:08pm
For Christmas dinnera festive salad or two that is easy to serve and eat with her left hand - roast vegetable, Toadies's rice salad, pasta salad.Use Gladwrap rather than a lid on containers because its easier to remove than a screwor pop-on lid. Label frozen meals as things her selfish males won't like.