Biscotti recipes

tweetie1978, Dec 11, 8:50am
Saw something in a magazine at the hairdressers, but didn't have pen and paper.Does anybody have a trusted Christmassy recipe?

245sam, Dec 11, 8:59am
tweetie1978, here's a recipe with a great range of variations - it's from Trademe Cooks and is thanks to TM's rkcroft.....

" make biscotti probably twice a week.
Here is my basic recipe. 2 cups plain flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 cup caster sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 3 eggs lightly beaten. Sift dry ingredients into large bowl and add any of the following (whatever you like), almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts, glace cherries, crystallised ginger, choc chips, dried apricot pieces, dried cranberries, grated orange or lemon rind. I also like a few spices like nutmeg, ground ginger, cinnamon, mixed spice. Mix together add the beaten eggs. Should be dry mix. Shape into 2 logs and put in oven. Bake @ 180°c for 30mins. Remove from oven and let stand for 15-20mins. Slice into pieces about 1 cm thick. Place back on tray standing up. Reduce heat to about 150° and bake for about 25mins or until golden.

Some of my favourite combinations are:
hazelnuts, choc chips, cherries and rum. I also reduce the flour by 1/4c and add in 1/4c cocoa. Another one is pistachios, grated orange rind, dried apricots and ground ginger & cinnamon. Or almonds & macadamias, crystallised ginger, dried cranberries and white choc bits. I find if adding choc bits, I like to reduce the sugar by 1/4c as it can be too sweet. I have tried all sorts of flavours, nuts and dried fruits with great success. Use your imagination and have fun.

Ive added
dark rum, brandy, kahlua and a lemon liqueur to many of my recipes and I would say its about 2 capfuls. You could use more, but if you mix is too moist, just add a little more flour to it. the above all posted by rkcroft"

Hope that helps.:-))

jaybee321, Dec 13, 6:45am
The Nestle website has some lovely christmas recipes.They have a very nice christmas biscotti recipe which my 10 year was able to make successfully.

mvo, Dec 13, 7:11am
Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti - nice Xmas colours

Ingredients
• ¼ cup light olive oil
• ¾ cup white sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• ½ teaspoon almond extract
• 2 eggs
• 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• ½ to 1 cup dried cranberries
• 1½ cups pistachio nuts
Method
1. Preheat the oven to 150° C.
2. In a large bowl, mix together oil and sugar until well blended.
3. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, then beat in the eggs. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually stir into egg mixture.
4. Mix in cranberries and nuts by hand.
5. Divide dough in half. Form two logs (12x2 inches) on a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper.
6. Dough may be sticky; wet hands with cool water to handle dough more easily.
7. Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until logs are light brown.
8. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 135° C.
9. Cut logs on diagonal into ¾ inch thick slices. Lay on sides on baking-paper covered covered baking tray.
10. Bake approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until dry; cool.
Notes
Source: adapted from Allrecipes.com

gardie, Dec 21, 4:50am
bumping for....damn - I should have noted your name.I used the recipe at post number 2.It makes quite a bit too.

gardie, Nov 26, 7:49am
for dna187.Happy baking.