KFC Bean salad..

h2gobaby, Sep 2, 5:50am
Does anyone know where they get this from? so delicious, and healthy too mmmm could live on it lol

pam.delilah, Sep 2, 6:06am
x2
here are two recipes so you can make your own
KFC Bean salad

INGREDIENTS

1 16-oz can green beans
1 16-oz can wax beans
1 16-oz can kidney beans
1 medium green pepper, sliced and chopped
1 medium-sized white onion sliced and cut up
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Drain and rinse kidney beans well. Drain additional beans and combine all ingredients together. Marinate and refrigerate overnight. Bean salad tastes better after 3 or 4 days. Makes about 7 cups.

Clone" KFC" Bean Salad
2 cans of mixed kidney / haricot beans.
1 can green beans
1/2 finely chopped green / red capsicum
small chopped onion.
Drain cans and reserve the liquid.
Mix all other veges together.
Place the liquid from the cans in a pot and add about 1/4 cup white vinegar and 2 tbsp white sugar.
Heat and add black ground pepper.
Slightly thicken with a wee bit of cornflour and water.
Mix beans / veges in while the sauce is still hot.
Let cool and serve.

h2gobaby, Sep 2, 6:38am
Dum question, but whats vege oil? is that just normal oil? Im thinking im gona make the 1st one, as it has all the beans, plus involves np heating so would be easier to make?
The bottom one would be healthier though?

eastie3, Sep 2, 6:47am
Can you still buy tinned green beans? I know Watties used to have them years ago,but thought they were long gone.The first recipe has a lot of sugar in it,and I have never seen wax beans at all.

One other question - I remember yellow beans that were similar to green,or round/runner beans.We knew them as butter beans,which are something quite different these days -more similar in appearance to canellini beans.
Confusing !!

pam.delilah, Sep 2, 6:48am
yes you can use normal mild oil

h2gobaby, Sep 2, 6:57am
What do you use instead of wax beans if you cant get them??

h2gobaby, Sep 2, 7:31am
o i looked on the container of mine, and it doesnt have wax beans anyway. aaaaah i dont know what to do now

245sam, Sep 2, 7:32am
According to Woolworth's website ( http://www.woolworths.co.nz/HomeShopping/Shop.aspx ), Wattie's canned green beans are still available.

I make a bean salad that is very very like KFC's bean salad BUT I always use frozen green and yellow/waxed/butter beans, and cook them until they are JUST tender.I have used canned red kidney beans but generally I prefer to cook those myself too.:-))

eastie3, Sep 2, 7:39am
Thanks for that info 245sam.Now that I see the Watties can I recall buying them thinking they were asparagus which was on the shelf next to them,and getting quite a surprise when I opened the can.
Do you remember the yellow version of the green beans (if that makes sense to you)?

agvac, Sep 2, 7:46am
Craigs make a bean salad in a can, its very good.

noddy26, Sep 2, 7:51am
KFCBENE FOOD K

245sam, Sep 2, 8:04am
you're welcome eastie3, and yes I do remember the yellow version of the beans but I don't recall ever having them from a can though - my Dad used to grow them many years ago, and we also grow them occasionally but other than that I use the frozen ones which are still available - have a look at:-

http://www.woolworths.co.nz/HomeShopping/Shop.aspx

and once on the site, do a 'Browse' for frozen beans.:-))

nomes_r, Sep 2, 8:15am
Great recipes, I will definitely be making bean salad very soon!

noonesgirl, Oct 28, 4:05am
Can you use the cans of mixed beans?

245sam, Oct 28, 10:59am
noonesgirl, although I have not done so myself, I'm sure that you could use the cans of mixed beans to make a bean salad BUT it would not be like or similar to the KFC Bean Salad because the cans of mixed beans, as far as I am aware, are the cooked versions of the same or similar beans to those in the packets of dried mixed beans i.e. they are the actual beans only and do not include the green or waxed/butter beans.:-))

korbo, Oct 28, 6:25pm
used to love the kfc bean salad, bought some a while back, and it was absolutly awful. seemed to have heaps of one type of bean.
Thanks so much for the recipes, will try and make my own. at least i know what is in it. I think the vinegar is the secret ingredient. maybe will experiment with different flavoured vingegar.

noonesgirl, Oct 28, 7:42pm
Thanks. Will try one of the above recipies.

unknowndisorder, Oct 29, 10:23am
http://www.kfc.com/tips/bean_salad.asp

Haven't made it yet, but thought the relaunch of the bean salad earlier this year was a disaster. Small container and sooooooo not the same. Bought once, ne'er again.

They do use cider vinegar for whoever was asking further up the page :)

Sam, in regards to your comment that you cook the beans yourself - do they still squeak as you eat them? (the yellow beans were best for that). Damn, going to have to make it tomorrow for dinner for Sunday or so.

motorbo, Oct 29, 9:04pm
i agree with poster # 10, i buy the craigs bean salad in a can and then i add chopped peppers/red onion or spring onions, its gives it some crunch and a fresher appeal.
i often have it with say homemade coleslaw all on top of mixed lettcue throw over some crumbled feta, and thats a lunch to take to work!!

noonesgirl, Jul 2, 2:00am
Would I need to add xtra liquid with the bean salad if adding the above?