Bean sprouts - forgotten how to do it.

jimminette, Nov 6, 11:45pm
Used to do it years ago and forgotten how to do it.Have a 3 layer unit.Bottom layer is solid. top two layers are also solid but have a raised grid on them and alsoa hole for water to pass thru.Can some one refresh my memory on what I'm supposed to do.Thanks

davidt4, Nov 7, 1:50am
I haven't used apparatus like yours, but I used to make sprouts simply by putting 1/2c mung beans in a preserving jar with a mesh lid, rinsingthem with cold water twice a day and leaving on the windowsill until they sprouted.

aeromo, Nov 7, 2:00am
Yes, back in the ole hippy days thats how we did it. Panty hose are good for mesh. Make sure you rince as they will go rancid, and put in dark place first until they germinate. Then in the light to go green. Mustard seeds are good also, tangy.

jimminette, Nov 7, 5:33am
Thanks Sea Salt- Gosh I'm glad I have a long bench.Mixer, Breadmaker, Yoghurt maker, sprouter, microwave and Kettle and still room.

sumstyle, Oct 22, 9:01am
Can I please ask for a little clarification - I am sprouting mung beans in a jar as davidt4 and aeromo suggested.My mum used to leave them in the airing cupboard, but I don't have one so have had them in the pantry for four days, very slowly they have germinated.

Tonight I have laboriously picked all the green seed coatings off the sprouts as some of the sprouts were going a bit brown. I have definitely been rinsing them, but I read on another old thread that mung beans didn't like to be agitated in the water when they get rinsed.

Is this the reason they are a bit brown (may the bean version of a bruise), or is it cos they need more light now?

sumstyle, Oct 23, 10:59pm
Anyone, please?

davidt4, Oct 24, 1:31am
I can't remember having any problems with the sprouts going brown.Maybe you are keeping them a bit too long before eating them.As soon as they form decent sized sprouts, say 2 cm, clean them, drain well and keep in the fridge no more than 2 days.

To get the seed cases off just tip the sprouts into a sink full of cold water, swish them around and most of the seed cases will come off and float to the top.Don't worry about bruising the sprouts.The main thing is to eat them fresh.

sumstyle, Jun 20, 6:41am
Ok thanks for that Dt4. I don't think I have kept them too long, they had only just germinated and it was just a few that were cracked and brown, but still...All looking good now that I have cleared the casings off them.(think I had too many in the jar to start with as well).