The best ever chocolate cake from hooksie60 can

Page 1 / 2
white_elephant, Oct 18, 6:24am
the recipe be halved without any problems?

245sam, Oct 18, 6:42am
white_elephant is this the recipe you are referring to?

"I make this once a week makes a small rosat pan size cake

3.5 c flour
3.5 c sugar
3 t/s Baking powder
1.5 c cocoa
1 cup oil
2 cups milk
3 t/s baking soda
1 t/s salt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups of boiling water (added at end)

Put all ingredients (except for the water) in a large bowl mix well to a batter. add boiling water and mix till smooth bake in the over at 160 for 1hr. you can split the mix and make two smaller cakes or make 1 smaller cake and put the rest into muffin tins the choice is completely up to you. this is an excellent cake if you have a large family or just want to impress people. gets moister by the day so stays nice and fresh very simular to mud cake.
Quote hooksie60 (129 )2:27 pm, Thu 29 Oct #1"

I haven't used that recipe but if it is the one that you are referring to, then IMO there is no reason (or given quantity) that can't/couldn't be easily halved - depending on the cake tin you use the cooking time may need to be adjusted though.

Hope that helps.:-))

raewyn64, Oct 18, 7:39am
I made this on the weekend. I reduce the sugar by 1 cup to 2.5 cups.
Anyway I got it to make 2 ring tins, one round tin and one loaf tin cake.I iced them all, gave one away to a neighbour and two are in the freezer for this weekend as we are having a working bee and the other one we are eating now.

I am sure it could be reduced, or you could do what I did and make several and freeze them.

white_elephant, Oct 18, 8:04am
Yes that is the recipe, I made it in the weekend and I too reduced the sugar by 1 cup, it's so nice but next time I don't want to be tempted by sooo much cake. Thanks for the help.

willman, Oct 18, 8:30am
I have halved this recipe and it turned out well.I did reduce the hot water,as I thought it too sloppy.

jessie981, Oct 18, 8:33am
Have a mental block when it comes to cooking with oil in a recipe.

lizab, Oct 18, 7:25pm
I used to feel the same Jessie981 and would always avoid recipes with oil, but I took the plunge one day and tried it and I can promise you it's fine. I always use grapeseed oil in baking btw.

jessie981, Oct 18, 7:34pm
I understand you have to use it in Carrot cake My friend uses it in Banana cake & it's yucky. What flavour do you bake lizab?

pat56, Nov 29, 2:10am
Unfortunately I don't have success with oil based cakes. Come out fudgy & stodgy. Just tried Anna Langbeins one potChoc cake recipe with butter from sat. nights tv show. And it's yummy. p.s. this is not her recipe with pumpkin/carrot & cinnamon.

mdavis1, Jan 17, 7:08am
Hi i really want to make this (now) but only have self raising flour, can i use that?

mdavis1, Jan 17, 7:08am
Hi i really want to make this (now) but only have self raising flour, can i use that!

nik12, Jan 17, 10:18am
I would go for it mdavis (but your probably in bed now lol), but leave out the baking powder.

dilligaf_dah, Feb 21, 1:03am
The 1st recipe is it just replace the cocoa with 10 bananasI sprinkle a little sugar on the bananas when mashing them makes them easier to blend in the cake mix.
I also use egg whites in my icing so add the jokes in the cake mix as well.

gerry64, Feb 21, 1:52am
what size roasting pan is recommended please

elliehen, Feb 21, 2:23am
Then try this one, jessie981.It is very similar, but with butter and is smaller. It is a 1970s New Zealand Woman's Weekly recipe.

BOILED CHOCOLATE CAKE
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
100 gms butter
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking SODA
2 eggs
1 & 1/2 cups flour
1 & 1/2 raised teaspoons baking POWDER

Place sugar, water, butter, cocoa & baking SODA into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until butter has melted

Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes

When cool, mix in beaten eggs & sifted flour.Beat well.

Turn into greased & lined 20 cm tin & bake at 180*C for one hour

Edited to add: Reason for the upper case letters - with both baking powder and baking soda in a recipe it's easy to mix them up ;)

elliehen, Feb 21, 2:23am
Then try this one, jessie981.It is very similar, but with butter and is smaller. It is a 1970s New Zealand Woman's Weekly recipe.

BOILED CHOCOLATE CAKE
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
100 gms butter
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking SODA
2 eggs
1 & 1/2 cups flour
1 & 1/2 raised teaspoons baking POWDER

Place sugar, water, butter, cocoa & baking SODA into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until butter has melted

Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes

When cool, mix in beaten eggs & flour sifted with baking POWDER

Beat well

Turn into greased & lined 20 cm tin & bake at 180*C for one hour

Edited to add: Reason for the upper case letters - with both baking powder and baking soda in a recipe it's easy to mix them up ;)

wasgonna, Feb 21, 2:34am
elliehen ... As a mere male, any suggestions on what you do with it when cooked. I hate icing.

wasgonna, Feb 21, 2:34am
elliehen . As a mere male, any suggestions on what you do with it when cooked. I hate icing.

elliehen, Feb 21, 2:38am
If I wasgonna do it, I'd sift some icing sugar over a chocolate cake like gentle snow!You could even cut out a pattern in A4 paper and sift over top of that - your initials?A smiley face?

elliehen, Feb 21, 2:38am
If I wasgonna do it, I'd sift some icing sugar over a chocolate cake like gentle snow!You could even cut out a pattern in A4 paper and sift over top of that - your initials!A smiley face!

wasgonna, Feb 21, 3:20am
Thanks for that. Probably do a grumpy face though.

pat56, Feb 21, 3:35am
Do you dislike the taste or making it. As another mm I have no prob making this icing;
1/2 cup icing sugar & 2 T cocoa sifted.
1/2T softened butter melted in cup with about 1 1/2 T hot water, vanilla ess if you like. Stir gradually into the ic s/cocoa till you get consistency you want. Spread on cake

eastie3, Feb 21, 3:41am
Half a cup of icing sugar won't go very far.

eastie3, Feb 21, 3:41am
Half a cup of icing sugar won't go very far.

jessie981, Feb 21, 4:22am
Ditto - 2 -2&1/2c icing sugar.