The best ever chocolate cake from hooksie60 can

Page 2 / 2
jessie981, Feb 21, 4:24am
My kind of cake elliehen. No oil. Going to bake this weekend (if it's not too hot). Thanx

jessie981, Feb 21, 4:24am
My kind of cake elliehen. No oil. Going to bake this weekend (if it's not too hot). Thanx

pat56, Feb 21, 4:38am
Sorry, this is the quantity I use for a regular ring or 20cm cake. Not this huge recipe.

wasgonna, Feb 21, 4:43am
Just hate the sickly sweet taste.

wasgonna, Feb 21, 4:43am
Just hate the sickly sweet taste.

uli, Feb 21, 6:09am
Since I have never seen a "boiled choc cake" before - this is worth a bump for another year LOL :)

elliehen, Feb 21, 6:45am
Something else you can do is make a very runny mix with just a little icing sugar, a dot of butter, extra water and then let it drizzle from a spoon in a fast zig-zag across the cake.It 'pretties' it up without all the extra sweetness.

elliehen, Feb 21, 6:45am
Something else you can do is make a very runny mix with just a little icing sugar, a dot of butter, extra water and then let it drizzle from a spoon in a fast zig-zag across the cake.It 'pretties' it up without all the extra sweetness.

white_elephant, Oct 19, 6:24am
the recipe be halved without any problems!

245sam, Oct 19, 6:42am
white_elephant is this the recipe you are referring to!

"I make this once a week makes a small rosat pan size cake

3.5 c flour
3.5 c sugar
3 t/s Baking powder
1.5 c cocoa
1 cup oil
2 cups milk
3 t/s baking soda
1 t/s salt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups of boiling water (added at end)

Put all ingredients (except for the water) in a large bowl mix well to a batter. add boiling water and mix till smooth bake in the over at 160 for 1hr. you can split the mix and make two smaller cakes or make 1 smaller cake and put the rest into muffin tins the choice is completely up to you. this is an excellent cake if you have a large family or just want to impress people. gets moister by the day so stays nice and fresh very simular to mud cake.
Quote hooksie60 (129 )2:27 pm, Thu 29 Oct #1"

I haven't used that recipe but if it is the one that you are referring to, then IMO there is no reason (or given quantity) that can't/couldn't be easily halved - depending on the cake tin you use the cooking time may need to be adjusted though.

Hope that helps.:-))

white_elephant, Oct 19, 8:04am
Yes that is the recipe, I made it in the weekend and I too reduced the sugar by 1 cup, it's so nice but next time I don't want to be tempted by sooo much cake. Thanks for the help.

lizab, Oct 19, 7:25pm
I used to feel the same Jessie981 and would always avoid recipes with oil, but I took the plunge one day and tried it and I can promise you it's fine. I always use grapeseed oil in baking btw.

jessie981, Oct 19, 7:34pm
I understand you have to use it in Carrot cake My friend uses it in Banana cake & it's yucky. What flavour do you bake lizab!

pat56, Nov 30, 2:10am
Unfortunately I don't have success with oil based cakes. Come out fudgy & stodgy. Just tried Anna Langbeins one potChoc cake recipe with butter from sat. nights tv show. And it's yummy. p.s. this is not her recipe with pumpkin/carrot & cinnamon.

bev00, Feb 23, 12:54pm
boiled chocolate cake - well i never

frog80, Feb 24, 12:35am
Made the boiled chocolate cake this morning,its a really nice cake,I used woolworths pur cocoa which you can also get from countdowm,makes cake dark and rich,thanks for recipe,elliehen.

elliehen, Feb 24, 1:26am
Pleased you tried it and liked it.It's good when people report back on their results :)

marcs, Feb 24, 2:52am
This one here is very nice as well. I have made it several time. It used to be posted alot a couple of years ago. I like my chocolate cake very moist and fudgy yet light. Not sure if I would say this one is light but no oil in it. It does make a bigish cake. A 25 cm one from memory I think.

Mels Secret Chocolate Cake
2 Cups of water 3 Cups of caster sugar 250gm butter 1/3 Cup cocoa 1 teaspoon of baking soda 3 Cups of self raising flour 4 eggs lightly beaten Combine water, sugar, butter ,cocoa, & soda in a large pot. Stir over medium heat without boiling until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 5 minutes uncovered. Cool for 10 minutes. Mix in flour and eggs and beat til smooth. Pour into a lined roasting dish and bake for 50 minutes at 160c. Check at 40 minutes. Stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack

lost-in-oz, Feb 24, 6:20am
I got this recipe off my Grandmother.use it all the time.

sclaredy_cat, Feb 24, 4:50pm
That recipe is the exact one I've been using since the 80s and its fantastic, I got it from an old pony club gazette. It appears to be almost the same recipe as the 'boiled' one mentioned above, only doubled. I wonder who 'Mel' is and why it's her secret!!! Anyway who cares, I can definitely vouch for the recipe, it makes a big cake, can be halved but I've also doubled/tripled it. It's even the one I use for wedding cakes although I tend to throw in a bag if chocolate chips at the melting stage.

malcovy, Feb 24, 7:04pm
Mels secret chocolate cake is the only one I make now but I halve the ingredients. It is so delicious and instead of water I use other liquids.A very easy recipe.Mum gave me a recipe that you make in the microwave and it is very similar and delicious too.