Feta, what is your fave recipe

Page 1 / 2
shellz596, Oct 17, 11:01pm
I only have a recipe for a salad, and i do like feta so what els can I do with it, I have copyed the lamb and feta parcels they sound really nice thank you for that, look forward to your suggestions, and thank you all.

245sam, Oct 17, 11:10pm
shellz596, this is one of our favourite ways of enjoying feta - thnaks to raevah posting the recipe here on TM.....

SPINACH QUICHE
posted by raevah who said "It is really like a deep quiche, and you can't even taste the spinach.It looks lovely and marbled with green - so much so my niece and nephew have renamed it Frog Pie.A good way to eat spinach without noticing.You can add any vegetables you have…mushroom, broccoli (cook first) or throw in frozen corn or whole cherry tomatoes.The recipe makes a big pie/quiche, but that’s good, because it tastes even better the next day, cold or reheated.

1 x 130g bag spinach, cooked and very well-drained – see notes below
1 cup grated tasty cheese(or use lesser amounts ofblueorfeta)
½ cup flourand½ tsp baking powderor½ cup self-raising flour
60g butter, melted (optional)
4 or 5 eggs
2 cups milk
pepperandsalt – see notes below
2-3 tbsp pine nuts (optional)

Whisk the eggs, butter and milk together.
Gently mix the spinach, cheese, flour and baking powder, then pour the egg mixture into the combined spinach mixture and mix as little as possible.Pour the mixture into a greased 23cm pie dish or casserole dish.Top, if wished, with a sprinkling of pine nuts.
Bake at200°Cforabout 45 minutes, until golden brown and puffy.
Serve the quiche hot, warm, cold or reheated – it’s just as good, if not better, the day after it’s made.
Notes:To cook the spinach simply fill the bag with water then allow all the water to drain away.Cook the spinach with only the water that is clinging to its leaves, and just until the spinach is wilted – alternatively use frozen spinach – allow it to thaw then squeeze as much as possible of the liquid out of the thawed spinach.1 x 130g bag of spinach yields 65g cooked and well-drained spinach.
• I (245sam) cook the quiche in a rectangular Pyrex dish with a base measurement of approximately 22cm x 14cm – the top measures approximately 25cm x 17•5cm, and I find that 45 minutes is just right for the cooking time.I use 175g-200g feta and because of the feta’s saltiness I do not add any salt, but I do use a good sprinkling of white pepper.I also use 5 x No. 6 eggs and because I use trim milk I do also add the optional butter.:-))

cookessentials, Oct 17, 11:13pm
Vegetable Sour Cream Bake
2 kumara, peeled and sliced
pumpkin, skinned and cut into cubes
4 leaves silverbeet, washed and sliced
2 courgettes, grated
1 large onion, sliced
75 grams feta cheese, cut into small cubes
½ cup water
1 teaspoons herb or chicken stock
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 tablespoon sour cream
ground black pepper
25 grams grated tasty cheddar cheese

Method

Pre-heat oven to 210°C.
Boil or steam the kumara and buttercup until almost tender. Remove from pot and put to one side.
Place the silverbeet and courgettes in the pot and cook a further 5 minutes.
Heat a little water in a non-stick pan and sauté the onion until tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the feta cheese.
Lightly grease an oven-proof dish and layer the buttercup, feta and onion mixture, silverbeet and courgettes and finish with the kumara slices.
Mix together the water, stock, cornflour, sour cream, and pepper. Pour over the vegetable layers.
Sprinkle the top with the grated cheddar cheese.
Bake at 210° C for 30 minutes.

shellz596, Oct 17, 11:26pm
O MY GOD, you guys are great, they both look really really nice, I will be making them both, wish I was at home ha ha thank you both very much.

cookessentials, Oct 18, 12:06am
You are very welcome shellz. With the vege bake, I dont do level measures of anything...heaped spoonfuls are fine. Add more cheese to the topping as well if you wish.

rainrain1, Oct 18, 12:15am
Rocket leaves, beetroot (especially my own bottled recipe) toasted pine nuts, crumbled feta, salt and pepper, sprinkled with juice of 1 lemon and 2Tblsp extra virgin olive oil

ribzuba, Oct 18, 12:23am
Feta Mint and Watermelon Salad, goes great with a caramelised balsamic dressing also a great link http://www.blogspot.southoffrancehotel.com/search/label/Feta

ruby19, Oct 18, 4:23am
This is great,
Spinach, feta & orzo salad.
448 g uncooked orzo pasta,
280 g baby spinach leaves, finely chopped,
225 g crumbled feta cheese,
1/2 red onion, finely chopped, 100 g pine nuts,
1/2 tsp dried basil ( or fresh to taste),
1/4 tsp ground pepper,
120 ml olive oil,
120 ml balsamic vinegar.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spinach, feta, onion, pine nuts, basil and white pepper. Toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Refrigerate and serve cold.

I also make spinach & feta in filo parcels, add it to lasagne, cous cous salads.

shellz596, Oct 18, 11:10pm
Hi 245sam and cookessentials, I could not choise so I whent to the shop and got what I needed and made both of your recipes, they were both very very nice, bet you know what I have for lunch haha off I go to heat it up yum yum, and my husband took some for his lunch, thank you very much. ;-)
Ruby thank you I will be trying yours to. :-)

shellz596, Oct 18, 11:14pm
Hi ruby19, just noticed you have one with cous cous can I have that one please, and the ffeta inm filo parcels is it the one on another thread called feta, thanks.

dezzie, Oct 19, 3:40am
Take big flat portabello mushrooms, cut the stalk out as short as possible, sprinkle with oil or dot with butter, sprinkle of salt and pepper, and thin slices of feta (use a cheese slicer) then bake for 20 -30 minutes, the feta goes kind of crunchy but its lovely, good as a meat subsitute for vegies as well.

shellz596, Oct 19, 10:32pm
Nice one Pezzie, thanks

ruby19, Oct 20, 5:18am
Hi Shellz, I don` have recipes as such, with the cous cous salad I make up the couscous using a little vegata veg stock and a little olive oil, then add either chopped up peppers red onions, tomatoes, and fresh mint & coriander then add feta,( some toasted flakedare a nice addition) and I love beetroot added, or I roast some veggies, courgette, red onion, peppers mushrooms tomatoes, again I add the fresh herbs and add the crumbled feta.Even add a small amount of lemon zest really finely grated.
With the filo parcels I sometimes cook an onion until softened, then add some cumin & coriander stir through some spinach, then add cottage cheese & feta, season. Or again use the roast veggies , and stir through some feta.Moroccan spices are good with the roast veggies.

Baked feta is divine add some chilli flakes or red onion.Wrap the feta and what ever additions you feel like, drizzle with a little olive oil and wrap the feta up in foil, pop into a 180 oC oven until warm and gooey.

cookessentials, Oct 20, 6:59am
Glad you enjoyed them shellz.

elliehen, Oct 20, 7:52am
I make Spinach & Feta muffins from the Muffin Bible.Can post that if you're interested.

shellz596, Oct 21, 12:10am
Hi ruby, thank your recipes, they look nice and will try them both,Elliehen they sound interesting to, feta muffins yum.

winnie15, Oct 21, 11:35pm
wow yes please .. they sound nice!

papariccardo, Oct 21, 11:44pm
It goes great on a home made, hand stretched thin pizza. Put it on in the last few minutes of cooking, then sprinkle rocket (ruccola) around once finished.

245sam, Oct 17, 11:10pm
shellz596, this is one of our favourite ways of enjoying feta - thanks to raevah for posting the recipe here on TM.

SPINACH QUICHE
posted by raevah who said "It is really like a deep quiche, and you can't even taste the spinach.It looks lovely and marbled with green - so much so my niece and nephew have renamed it Frog Pie.A good way to eat spinach without noticing.You can add any vegetables you have…mushroom, broccoli (cook first) or throw in frozen corn or whole cherry tomatoes.The recipe makes a big pie/quiche, but that’s good, because it tastes even better the next day, cold or reheated.

1 x 130g bag spinach, cooked and very well-drained – see notes below
1 cup grated tasty cheese(or use lesser amounts ofblueorfeta)
½ cup flourand½ tsp baking powderor½ cup self-raising flour
60g butter, melted (optional)
4 or 5 eggs
2 cups milk
pepperandsalt – see notes below
2-3 tbsp pine nuts (optional)

Whisk the eggs, butter and milk together.
Gently mix the spinach, cheese, flour and baking powder, then pour the egg mixture into the combined spinach mixture and mix as little as possible.Pour the mixture into a greased 23cm pie dish or casserole dish.Top, if wished, with a sprinkling of pine nuts.
Bake at200°Cforabout 45 minutes, until golden brown and puffy.
Serve the quiche hot, warm, cold or reheated – it’s just as good, if not better, the day after it’s made.
Notes:
To cook the spinach simply fill the bag with water then allow all the water to drain away.Cook the spinach with only the water that is clinging to its leaves, and just until the spinach is wilted – alternatively use frozen spinach – allow it to thaw then squeeze as much as possible of the liquid out of the thawed spinach.1 x 130g bag of spinach yields 65g cooked and well-drained spinach.
• I (245sam) cook the quiche in a rectangular Pyrex dish with a base measurement of approximately 22cm x 14cm – the top measures approximately 25cm x 17•5cm, and I find that 45 minutes is just right for the cooking time.I use 175g-200g feta and because of the feta’s saltiness I do not add any salt, but I do use a good sprinkling of white pepper.I also use 5 x No. 6 eggs and because I use trim milk I do also add the optional butter.
:-))

cookessentials, Oct 18, 12:06am
You are very welcome shellz. With the vege bake, I dont do level measures of anything.heaped spoonfuls are fine. Add more cheese to the topping as well if you wish.

shellz596, Oct 18, 11:14pm
Hi ruby19, just noticed you have one with cous cous can I have that one please, and the feta in filo parcels is it the one on another thread called feta,if not maybe that will be nice to, thanks.

elliehen, Oct 20, 7:52am
I make Spinach & Feta muffins from the Muffin Bible.Can post that if you're interested.

bev00, Oct 21, 10:33am
love feta

jennyopal, Oct 21, 10:41am
a block of feta, baked in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle with some herbs, fresh thyme and oregano is nice, black pepper, and anything you fancy. tomatos, etc.then serve with fresh crusty bread.great on a platter.

elliehen, Oct 21, 10:43am
Never too late ;)

Not from the Muffin Bible, but actually a nicer recipe, I think.