Date Scones

metal_gear100, Feb 25, 4:37am
Hi Would anyone have any really nice date scone recipes please.

pam.delilah, Feb 25, 4:44am
x1
DIVINE DATE SCONES
The dates are boiled then sandwiched between the scone dough.
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups pitted dates
3 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
Pinch salt
3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
100g butter, chopped
1 to 1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon brown sugar, extra
METHOD:
Preheat the oven to 200degC. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Place the dates in a small saucepan with just enough water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
Cool.
Place the dry ingredients in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the butter in batches, processing until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Place in a bowl and add enough milk to form a soft but not too sticky dough.
On a lightly floured bench, pat the dough into a rectangle.
Brush with beaten egg then cut in half.
Spread the date mixture on one half. Flip the other half over the top egg-wash side down to make a sandwich.
Cut into about nine pieces. Place on the prepared oven tray. Brush with egg and sprinkle with brown sugar.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Makes nine.

rainrain1, Feb 25, 4:51am
Date and lemon Scones

150mls milk
150mls cream
1 egg
(Beat these 3 ingredients together)

Mix together 3 cups selfraising flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup chopped dates
Zest of one lemon
Pour milks into dry ingredients and give a good old mix.
Lightly kneed and make a 2" high shape
Use a large round cutter or knife.
Glaze with milk and sugar
Cook on tray with flat side up until golden brown hot oven 10 - 15 minutes. Oven 200

toeblister, Mar 8, 8:25pm
rainrain1... ... . I have just made your lemon and date scones and they are absolutely the best scones I have tasted ever! I have tried many a recipe but yours takes the Scone lol. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

wingee, Mar 9, 2:20am
love dates scones, will def try! ! ! !

rainrain1, Mar 9, 5:51am
Aren't they wonderful? It is not my recipe, I got it off telly. Masterchef Foolproof Scones

blondie4, Mar 9, 6:14pm
is anyone else as disapointed as I am by the quality of the dates these days unless you pay thru the nose for those special ones (loose) the packaged ones are just awful soo dry and hard.

fifie, Mar 9, 6:30pm
I agree about some dates being not so good. I always make Pams recipe above for the scones and because the dates are pre cooked you can't tell the difference anyway in the finished product, they are divine. Sometimes i squeeze the juice of a orange into the cooling date mixture for added flavour. .

indy95, Mar 9, 6:43pm
Blondie4, yes there certainly are some dry and horrible dates on the market but if you take the trouble to soak them in boiling water for a while before making your scones you will find that it makes quite a difference.

If you have more time you can leave them in orange juice ( or whichever juice you want to use ) overnight or at least for a few hours. When I do this I usually add some finely grated rind to the scones along with the drained dates and the scones are really delicious.

rainrain1, Mar 9, 7:43pm
I bought a packet of Pams brand dates recently and they were beautiful, could have been a fluke packet of course, but I will try them again. The Alison Holst free flow might be worth a try also

blondie4, Oct 21, 7:57am
yes well I will try again with dates as I really love them