Edmonds recipe 'Sultana Cake'!

waterbrook, Sep 19, 11:29pm
Hi beautiful people :)I just went to make my hubby's fave cake in the world (Sultana cake from the sure to rise book) and the page has been ripped out :(Please, for the sake of my marriage (lol) could some wonderful person give me this timeless recipe so I can get going on it today... my sultanas have just finished simmering and are begging to be put into a mixture haha.Thanks everyone.

waterbrook, Sep 19, 11:33pm
anyone???

melp6, Sep 19, 11:34pm
x3
2 C sultanas
water
250g butter,chopped into small pieces
1 C sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1/2t lemon or almond essence
3C standard flour
1 1/2 t baking powder

Put sultanas in water, Bring to boil, simmer for 15 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Add butter. In a bowl beat sugar into egss until well comined. Add sultana mixture and essence. Sift flour and baking powder together.Mix sifted ingredients into fruit mixture. Spoon mixture into a 20 cm square cake tin lined on the base with baking paper. Bake at 160 for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until cake springs back when lightly touched. leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack

waterbrook, Sep 19, 11:36pm
x1
You rock THE MOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks sooooo much Melp... have a spectacular day :)

melp6, Sep 19, 11:39pm
You too! Enjoy the baking(and the eating of course)!

trading_gibsons, Sep 19, 11:39pm
After trying lots of fruit cake recipes- this is myfavourite!!!

waterbrook, Sep 19, 11:42pm
oh I sooo know what you mean!!!I add red and green cherries too, it's like the most perfect luncheon cake... mmmmm... I'd better get cooking.Thanks again.hugs to the awesome TMMB bakers xo

clair4, Sep 20, 4:34am
My Edmonds recipe calls for 2 cups sugar.Please is this too much?

harrislucinda, Sep 20, 4:54am
onpage44ofedmondsbookitreads450 grmsultanas225butter225sugar3eggs350 grmflour1tsp baking flour1tsplemon esscoversultanaswithwaterboil15minscool addbutteruntilmeltedaddsugartheneggssiftinflourandbpessbakein200mmtinforabout11/2hrsat160deg

music_note, Sep 20, 5:01am
Hi - do you mean this recipe is similar to the purchased luncheon fruit cakes - I think they're Ernest Adams?? Thanks for help - am hoping so as have been looking for a similar recipe for a long time.

momma1, Apr 8, 2:12am
alison's cutting cake from simply delicious 1975
1.5 T cornflour
1 C water
450g sultanas
225g butter
1 C sugar
1/2 t lemon essence
1/2 t orange essence
1/2 t almond essence
1/2 t vanilla essence
3 eggs
3 c flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
Boil cornflour and water until thick...cool. Cream butter suagr and essences, add eggs. sift flour, baking powder and salt and coat sultanas in it. Add the flour etc in batches alternating with the cornflour mix. Turn into a lined tin ((20cm square, 23cm round) bake at 170C for 1.5 hours (ish)
*this cake is very similar to the ernest adams fruit luncheon