Pork and Prawn Spring Rolls...

fisher, Aug 17, 3:11am
Just making this up as I go...
Put 2 small peeled, chopped potatoes in water and tsp salt. . bring to boil and turn off element. .
In Large fry pan, put a tbsp of peanut oil and fry up some slices of a small onion, 3-4 cloves of garlic finely chopped and a good grating of ginger. . add a 1/2 tsp of 5 spice mix and stir in. . now push all to far side of frypan and add your pork mince (about 300g) and cook until all has changed colour. . add 1 tbsp of soy and a dash of fish sauce , mix all in and then pull the onion mix in and stir all about. . Place all this in a glass bowl and set aside. . Drain and dry mash your spuds and add some fine chopped sage leaves and fine chopped spring onions, saving some of the long green bits. . add spud mix to the mince. . Peel some cooked tiger prawns (about 20) and set 12 aside. . chop up the last 8 and place into the mince mix... salt, good grind of pepper and mix all together with wet hands. . Set aside in the fridge... Chop off the ends of a carrot and peel. . now using the peeler, peel off strips of carrot until you reach the core. . (eat the core as a snack :}). . chop up some "green strips" from a chinese cabbage and set aside with the green spring onion. .
Taking a spring roll wrapper, lay it out in a diamond shape in front of you. . spoon some of the mix onto the front edge, place two whole prawns into the mix, lay two strips of spring onion, some carrot strips and some chinese cabbage strips. . Now pick up the bottom pointed edge and roll forwards tucking in the side edges when you reach half way. . use egg wash to seal the top and continue rolling to seal... Place in fridge to cool till ready to deep fry or oven bake turning as required till golden brown. .
Mine are all ready to go... :} with turmeric rice and peas as a bed and soy or sweet chilli for sauce. .

winnie231, Aug 17, 3:14am
sounds good fisher ... what time's dinner lol!

fisher, Aug 17, 3:26am
Kathy says the smells in the kitchen are amazing. . with the garlic, onion ginger and spices... I have lost 99. 5% of my sense of smell so have to rely mostly on taste... not good for a cookie. . not happy. . :}

winnie231, Aug 17, 3:35am
That's a bugga fisher ... but I make up for it!
With your detailed description I can smell them from here (well - atleast in my head I can ... you know what I mean! )

Do others do that?
I can taste & smell food in my head ... really handy for making up recipes! I 'taste' things in my dreams too!

fisher, Aug 17, 3:40am
Was just thinking that Winnie. . so funny... read a recipe and put it together, mentally , "remember" the smells but know the taste. .
I have to be careful with amounts of ingredients I use. .

winnie231, Aug 17, 3:46am
You've got the skills to have it sorted!
Got to say - miss 13 doesn't like me doing a thai curry when I have a cold ... she thinks it gets hotter then! Don't know what she's talking about! ! ! hahaha Good way to sort the sinuses out I reckon!

tlkin, Aug 17, 8:26am
were they yummy? They sounded it from the recipe!

fisher, Feb 3, 6:02pm
Absolutely scrummy. . Deep fried till just golden ( everything is already cooked inside) and then drained on paper towels, end up. .
froze 4 for another meal. . had rice already then simply put rolls on a rack in oven to heat through to have hot. .
They didn't touch the sides. . lol. .
French vanilla ice cream with strawberries and chocolate topping drizzled over the top that was nice and crunchy... .