Chicken Soup??

Page 1 / 2
shortee2, Jun 1, 4:07am
Please give me your best tips, for a yummy Chicken soup, have some chicken bodies, now need some tried and true ways to turn them into the best Chicken Soup ever... ... . . Thank you... ... .

245sam, Jun 1, 5:30am
shortee2, our favourite is Chicken and Corn Soup and you'll find the recipe I use/base ours on (it's the 2nd recipe) at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=22&t=216

fisher, Jun 1, 5:59am
shortee2 try this one... you'll never look back...
Chicken Soup:...
Remove any cooked chicken meat from the carcasses and set aside... Take carcasses and cover with water in large stock pot. .
Add 1 tsp of salt, 1 onion, chopped, 1 tsp of crushed peppercorns, 5 garlic cloves crushed and bring to boil and simmer for 30 mins... To the pot, now add the leaves of 4 celery stalks, the peelings of 4 carrots, and grab any outers from cabbage or whatever veges you have in your fridge. . nice time for a fridge cleanout. . Add 2 bay leaves and let this simmer 15 -20mins more. . This is going to make your base stock. . Strain this into a large saucepan, clean the stockpot and return the stock and add a pkt of Kings chicken soup mix. (discard the peelings and bones)Stir, cover and simmer for 30 mins... While this is happening, chop up your carrots into chunky pieces, chop up your celery stalks and chop 2 large potatoes and a small swede chopped into 2 cm squares. Add all this to the pot with a chicken oxo cube and cover and cook until vegetables just tender. Remove 1/4 of the vegetables and place back in your saucepan... Using a stick blender and a little soup juice, mash these vegetables to make a thick consistency and add back into the stockpot... Stir, Do a taste test and season as required. Break up the chicken into smaller pieces if needed, add to the pot for the last 5-10 mins of simmering. . This ensures the chicken is not overcooked and remains tender... Magnificent served with real fresh bread and lashings of butter or those soup rolls you can buy from the supermarket and put into the oven...

katje, Jun 1, 6:03am
add curry. Gives any soup a kick

fisher, Jun 1, 6:06am
Please DON'T add curry to the recipe in post #3 Its the chicken flavour we want and not curry... Curry does add a nice kick to pumkin soup

fisher, Jun 1, 6:10am
shortee2 ...
if you don't have a great deal of chicken meat. you can strip a couple of chicken thighs from their fat and cut off any excess fat while frozen.
Then add to the original mix for that "first 30 mins" as above. .
These thighs can be removed and cooled in cold water in the sink. . (stops further cooking) the meat taken off , set aside and the bones put back into the soup stock mix with the carcasses. . to be discarded with the peelings later. .

245sam, Jun 1, 6:19am
and please DON'T add curry to the recipe as in #2 - curry powder has its place but that place is not in that Chicken and Corn Soup either.

:-))

purplegoanna, Jun 1, 6:27am
i disagree in a small way, i find a 'pinch' of curry powder brings the taste of chicken out in many dishes... . but thats IMHO! lol

psychicxpress, Jun 1, 6:32am
I like popping in a bit of finely diced crispy bacon as well.

We're having home-made chicken soup for tea tonight =)

YUM

katje, Jun 1, 6:56am
no offence but ... . . ewwww

katje, Jun 1, 6:57am
Yes! yes! Yes!

fisher, Jun 1, 7:01am
Katje. . bugga off. . put your own recipe up and dont change ours. .
Put yours up and let the OP choose that if they want. .

katje, Jun 1, 7:50am
(opens a box of curry powder and dumps it over everything)... ... . . bye bye :)

jessie981, Jun 1, 7:51am
Easy pezzierecipe

chicken carcass or chicken pieces
diced onion
chicken stock
seasoning
grated carrot
handful rice

Put all in a saucepan, bring to boil . Simmer gently approx 1hr. Chicken can be left in or remove meat & leave in soup before serving.

7 immer gently approx 1 hr.

purplegoanna, Jun 1, 9:02am
i wasnt aware the cooking threads were competitions to beat one anothers recipes, merely a great place to swap ideas, recipes and any thing else that gets discussed... . so blimin what, recipes get changed... thats how new recipes are made... .

katje, Jun 1, 10:14am
They are :) but some people are protective of their original ideas :)

shortee2, Jun 2, 2:13am
Thank You everyone, great tips, will be having Chicken Soup, tonight.
Without the Curry... ... ... . pmsl... ...

liz_taylor, Jun 2, 2:21am
I've got fisher's chicken soup (NO CURRY) in my slowcooker now (anything that is in final mix is anyway, did the stock on the stove, and have the chicken ready to throw in) Would like to thank fisher for sharing his recipe, is one of my favourites now!

fisher, Jun 2, 4:49am
Cheers shortee2. . enjoy your chicken soup which ever version you chose. .
Katje used to "sh** stir some time ago and as i suggested "nicely" in post #13. . she can put her recipe up, curry and all for anyone to choose. .
purplegoanna. . for those that know me I have NEVER been in competition with anyone. . dont need to. . :}. . I have my own ways and will place a recipe up for anyone to choose and use if they so wish. . others do the same for the original posters request and if their recipe is used all well and good. . no issues here. .
Liz-taylor. . that's a good idea. . make it early and put it all in the slow cooker to finish off on a gentle low simmer for later on... keeps the afternoon free ... nice the next day then date and freeze the rest. .

katje, Jun 2, 5:30am
Does no one here understand the tantalizing gift that curry gives to soup... ... . .

liz_taylor, Jun 2, 11:35pm
it worked really well! ! ! If anyone wants to use a slowcooker for fishers soup, when you do your final strain of the stock strain into your slowcooker then add your soup mix vege etc. add chicken about 20 mins before serving. FABULOUS!

owl32, Jun 2, 11:54pm
curry? ? yuk. That recipe sounds delish fisher :)

Thank you for that.

fisher, Jun 2, 11:55pm
Liz, had some last week with the easy make ciabatta bread made just before serving... Got two tubs left in the freezer for later. . If you make a big lot {use chicken thighs for extra meat and flavour, more vegetables, two lots of chicken kings mix} like you have suggested in the crockpot, you will have heaps left to freeze saving so much work/cooking time at a later date and get to enjoy it all over again and again. . :}

fisher, Jun 3, 12:05am
Cheers owl. . it is. . using the veges peelings, offcuts, leaves of stuff you already have, combined with the carcasses and/or thighs to extract all that magnificent "natural"flavour for the base stock. .
I use all my veges peelings this way and make my own vege stock and add chicken or beef oxo cubes to make chicken or beef stock for cooking. . For years its simply gone in the compost bin and all the goodness, flavour and vitamins have been wasted. .

liz_taylor, Jun 3, 5:56am
i tend to use either a catering chicken (white plain pack at raeward usually pre frozen for $5) or a table hen when i make it. We are only a family of 3 (very soon to be 4) so the original recipe (done with whole bird - put some meat aside for a quiche though) does us a meal that night, lunch the next day, and at least 1 meal in the freezer. In winter we usually have an excess of leeks in the garden too so usually throw one of those in with the carrots