Wow ! A Feijoa Smoothie from frozen feijoas.

valentino, Apr 16, 5:33am
Now this recipe from Simon advertised in Bite very recently.

http://www.bite.co.nz/recipe/16543/Feijoa-superfood-smoothie/

valentino, Apr 16, 5:34am
Feijoa superfood smoothie
( SERVES 1 )

Simon Gault

This is just goodness in a glass. Feijoas are loaded with vitamins and antioxidants so add in a few more superfoods and you’ll be bouncing out of your skin and warding off the seasonal colds. Top tip, when there is an abundance of feijoas I like to freeze some, this makes the feijoa smoothie season last longer and you don’t have to use ice.

Ingredients
2 Feijoas

1 tsp Maca powder

1 tsp Lucuma powder

¼ cup Dried coconut

1 tsp Ground cinnamon

6 Goji berries, dried

1 tsp Flax seeds

1 tsp Chia seeds

60 g Almonds

200 ml Almond milk, no added sugar

1 small handful Ice, or as desired

Directions
1. Place all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.

samanya, Apr 16, 6:24am
Oh yum, what great ideas.
The Simon one . that's equivalent to a main meal, for me.

valentino, Jun 4, 11:53pm
I have been freezing feijoas in the past few years and starting to get a wee collection within my freezer. On Friday, took out 4 lots, defrosted and into the blender and blended until fully liquidised.

Nothing else is added (no sugar or water etc) and what a lovely nice smoothie, very highly recommended to everyone whom has not done this.

Cheers.

autumnwinds, Jun 5, 1:03am
I keep a stock of frozen fruits (pineapple, mango, many different berries, banana, feijoas, peaches, plums and more) cut into chunks, bought when at their cheapest to use for smoothies, sauces, muffins, loaves, etc.

Cut into reasonable size chunks, my blender makes short work of them - too big, and you'd burn out your blender.

So they really don't need to be defrosted, if you work out what size chunks of what sort of fruit your blender can handle frozen. And it saves making your drink less tasty by adding ice.

It's magic to have a tropical (mango or pineapple with banana) in the depths of winter, in minutes, without waiting to defrost them. I keep a stock of base juices in tetrapaks to add a little more liquid if needed, or use apples, or my own coconut yoghurt to ring the changes.

valentino, Jun 5, 2:59am
Yeah, have made numerous smoothies using fresh and frozen fruits and berries and fresh green veges, spiralina, chorella, pollen, stevia etc but this was the first time using only the one fruit and happened to be just Feijoa.

It's just that the freezing process does something with the feijoas as not to add any extras as noted in the first post.

Cheers

lilyfield, Jun 5, 4:18am
Hope you left the skin on

valentino, Oct 3, 2:13am
Nope, they are all scooped into plastic Zip Bags and sealed hence why they were really nice and totally natural.

Even the bugs do not eat the skin, LOL.
Cheers lilyfield.