Has anyone pickled eggs?

bev00, Feb 12, 9:34am
Easy to follow instructions =
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Pickled-Eggs

bev00, Feb 12, 12:02pm
one for the archives

coralsnake, Feb 12, 12:44pm
Who can remember Nortons Egg Preserver [back in the days when we used to preserve excess eggs for winter use].

whitehead., Feb 13, 4:14am
they did not last long my kids were teens when i made them and i was making 2 doz a week at one stage kids packed their own lunches and they disappered . well worth trying i love them

whitehead., Feb 13, 4:16am
i can my mother hated the feel of it so she used to make me get the eggs out which was ok but if they broke it felt rotten

clevercloggs, Oct 19, 7:18pm
I've got lots of eggs from my chooks and would love some tips from anyone who has done this before and it will be a first for me. How long should I boil them for and should they be hot or cold before I put them in the liquid. Should the liquid be cool?

hogwort, Oct 19, 7:32pm
YUM! We lived in Canada years ago where we were introduced to pickled eggs, I never liked hard boiled eggs but pickled were delicious. hard boil the eggs as normal, shell them and pop into your jars. Cold is best. Pour over the pickling liquid while hot then put on the lids. Good luck. These are definitely "love 'em or hate 'em" food!

clevercloggs, Oct 19, 7:41pm
Thanks hogwort. Can't wait. I love anything pickled.

mandi, Oct 19, 7:43pm
Hi There, here's my recipe
PICKLED EGGS
16 to 20 hard boiled eggs
1.5 litres cider vinegar
3 finely chopped chillis (dried is fine)
15 black peppercorns
15 whole cloves
4 cinnamon sticks
3 tsp whole allspice
Peel the hard boiled eggs, allow them to cool, and place them in a large jar that has been sterilized and cooled.
Heat the vinegar and spices in a saucepan until the liquid begins to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins.
Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
Pour the spiced vinegar over the eggs covering them completely.
Seal the jar tightly and store in a cool dark place for a minimum of 2 weeks before using.

clevercloggs, Oct 19, 8:28pm
Lovely recipe, thank you. How long do they keep for? Should I keep them in the fridge?

clevercloggs, Oct 19, 8:30pm
I have a recipe with beet root juice which tickled my fancy. It colours the eggs. Might give both recipes a go. I've got so many eggs from my four chooks and hate waste.

clevercloggs, Oct 19, 8:32pm
Beet pickled eggs with cardamom and anise

1 beet, peeled and roughly chopped into 1 to 2-inch sized pieces, cooked*
1 cup beet juice*
1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 onion, sliced
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 cardamom pods
1 star anise
6 hard cooked eggs**, peeled
*Simmer the chopped beets in a cup of water, covered, until tender, 30-40 minutes, or used canned beets. Use the beet juice from the cooking water, or the juice from canned beets.

tex-tickle, Oct 19, 10:25pm
I'd be interested too. Hopefully somebody will chime in with the answer.

clevercloggs, Oct 20, 4:57am
Seeing as no one has yet answered, I think I'll put them in the fridge tex tickle. Better safe than sorry.

whitehead., Oct 20, 5:10am
keep in the fridge and usual they dont last long if you have a family of teenagers the sum is ,4 teens plus school friends times 24 eggs in 24 hours the jar was empty . but under normal 3/4 weeks

whitehead., Oct 20, 5:13am
clevercloggs wrote:
Lovely recipe, thank you. How long do they keep for? Should I keep them in the fridge?[/quote it depends on your family most will last 4/5 weeks if you have 4 teens and their friends the sum is 4 teens plus their friend times 24 eggs by 24 hours ,i had an empty bottle and a request for more please mum

kob, Oct 20, 5:31am
you don't even have to preserve them you can freeze them straight from fresh in the shell its easy as 123, follow the steps at the bottom of my thread, and its all explained with diagrams and it even shows a frozen egg cut in half
http://trinasbeautifulbudgetingbasics.blogspot.com/2013/09/top-ten-tips-to-budgeting-2-preserving.html

clevercloggs, Oct 20, 6:00am
Hey kob, thanks for that. How cool.

mwood, Oct 21, 3:43am
OK but by the look of the cut eggs at the bottom they have been boiled before the freezing and shelling - correct ?

kob, Oct 21, 5:07am
No that is what it looks like if you follow the pictures instrtuctions it shows youhow its done, once frozen you de shell and refreeze

samanya, Mar 5, 12:09am
I have pickled eggs & used a similar recipe to mandi @ #4 & only have one left after about a year & it looks fine, but I did keep them in my fridge.