Rolled Oates-Savoury Recipe Ideas Please?

liz111, Nov 5, 9:37pm
Any help please? Heard oats are good lowering cholesterol

uli, Nov 5, 10:18pm
Rolled Oat Soup

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup oats
5 large tomatoes, skinned if you feel like it - or a tin of chopped tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup water,
1 bunch fresh coriander greens (winter) or basil (summer) or parsley,
2 cups chicken stock,
1/2 teaspoon salt (if needed).

Heat a large pot with the olive oil, and add the oats; cook and stir until toasted.

In a blender or large food processor, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, 1 cup of water, and herbs. Blend until smooth. Pour into the pan with the toasted oats.

Stir in the 2 cups of stock, and bring to a boil. Check if it needs the salt.
Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.

parryduck, Nov 6, 5:12am
I used to make a rolled oats 'meat loaf' kind of thing, and everyone loved it. There was never a recipe, but basically, use your instincts. mine may have had, onion, garlic, tom sauce, black sauce, oyster sauce, frozen veg, tomato relish, stock, marmite, ginger, soup mix, . not all of these at once, just any flavors that worked together. Bound with an egg, maybe a bit of milk if needed. Looking for something that can hold the shape of a loaf. They were very delicious.

nauru, Nov 6, 6:22am
Try oat bran too, I add a spoonful to my homemade muesli every morning. I add it to bread, muffins (both sweet & savoury), cakes and any recipes calling for breadcrumbs. I also make oat milk to have with my breakfast cereal.

245sam, Nov 6, 7:20am
Although I haven't used it for a number of years here's a recipe that you might like to try next time you are roasting a chicken.

OAT STUFFING FOR POULTRY
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cups rolled oats
¼ cup suet
2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper

Mix the onion, rolled oats and suet, then add the thyme, salt and pepper.
The mixture will be loose; if desired, a little water may be added to combine. :-))

samanya, Jul 16, 6:57pm
I've made these 'sausages', with a few fresh herbs & personal variations & they were a hit with me & my vegetarian niece.