Half-ripe Grapefruit for Marmarlade?

nruter, Jul 1, 12:27am
With all good intentions I have been given some half-ripe grapefruit, some more than others.
Should imagine the marmalade will just be that bit more tart.
Is there anything I should know?

cloudberry, Jul 1, 12:52am
It should make excellent marmalade. When I had a grapefruit tree I always used to try to include at least one underripe fruit in the mix, I reckon it helps with the setting. I may be deluding myself but my marmalade always set!

nruter, Jul 1, 2:33am
I always put a lemon in. However, what you say makes sense, so may leave the lemon out. Well, for my first batch anyway.

kaddiew, Jul 1, 2:52am
According to Alison Holst in her big red book, marmalade made from the early/immature grapefruit is lighter in colour, sets easily and is sour but not bitter. Later season grapefruit produces a brighter marmalade, won't set as easily and may have a bitterness not noticeable in the early fruit.

nruter, Jul 1, 4:05am
Wonderful, thank you. So will be a-marmalade-making.

clair4, Jul 1, 4:13am
Yes the grapefruit that has some green on it is the best for marmalade.
I make a nice marmalade with 1 large grapefruit, 2 lemons and 2 oranges.
Put the fruit and water in the pressure cooker for 20 minutes which makes the fruit nice and tender and well cooked. When cool enough to handle the fruit, I then cut up nice and chunky, put the pips in muslin add the sugar and cook until set, about 25 minutes. So nice.
At least the fruit is home grown, which is a savings as I only need to buy the sugar.

nruter, Jul 1, 4:24am
Am an old-fashioned girl when it comes to making marmalade. Mum's way/recipe.
For each grapefruit 2 water, 2 sugar.
Cut (or whiz) fruit and 1 lemon. Soak overnight with water. Cook till soft. Add sugar. Cook until set

Oh yes, no need to buy grapefruit at this time of year. Bit like feijoas when they're in season.

nruter, Jul 1, 4:52am
Oops - 2 CUPS water and sugar - but am sure you all knew that.

jills3, Jul 2, 5:22am
I will make some marmalade as greenish grapefruit are around now. nruter can you just tell me, you say cook till soft, roughly how long is that? and then cook till set, roughly how long is that please, thank you.

nruter, Jul 2, 10:08pm
Sorry, but never really timed the 'soft' time. I cook it at a good simmer until the pieces of rind are soft enough to cut easily, but not mushy.
I've even attacked it with the vege masher just to break things up a bit more.

Once sugar is added and brought back to the boil, I never let it boil furiously but definitely boiling doesn't take long.
Just do the old-fashioned test with a little bit on a saucer in a cool place and once it starts to 'crease' is ready.

The sort of foam that forms on the top some say to take off I just stir it in if there's not too much of it.

I have jars heating in the oven in a baking tray, so if anything gets spilled while bottling is easily washed up.

If this is your first foray into this, would suggest you only do, say two grapefruit and see how you get on. I do three and it gives me 5-6 jam jars.

Other marmalade makers may be able to add something else that will help.

cloudberry, Apr 16, 11:08am
This is the recipe I use for grapefruit marmalade, one of those old family recipes that has been around for years. (You can tell it's old because of the Imperial measurements.) It's a goodie and relatively fast because you don't have to soak the fruit.

Slice or process 2lbs (or just under 1 kilo) grapefruit. Add 4 pints water, bring slowly to the boil and boil until tender (1 hour 10 mins in all.) Add 5lbs sugar and stir to dissolve. Bring to fast boil and boil quickly for 12 - 13 minutes. Then add fresh lemon juice ( half a cup or more) and boil until it jells. This may be 5 minutes, but generally a little longer according to freshness and ripeness of fruit.
Let stand for 15 minutes, then stir to distribute fruit. Pour into warmed, sterilized jars. Makes about 9 X 300 ml jars