Have just discovered delicious chickpeas.

Page 1 / 2
puzzler7, Jun 9, 6:55am
what's your favourite chickpea recipe? I like making salads with them, using them as the base for the salad and adding yummy herbs and other veges around it. tasty, filling, healthy, and cheap!

eastie3, Jun 9, 7:30am
Hummus!

puzzler7, Jun 9, 7:42am
oh yum yes! do you cook your own chickpeas or use the canned stuff?

If you cook your own, i'm super impressed!

lilyfield, Jun 9, 8:12am
Always cook my own, a kilo at the time in slowcooker then freeze in smaller portions, cheap as chips.

puzzler7, Jun 9, 8:18am
great idea. I've been using the canned stuff, which are also cheap, but yours sounds way cheaper and better for you probably too

barbs77, Jun 9, 8:19am
Just made this and added garlic and smoked paprica and chillis, yum.
http://www.petite-kitchen.com/2013/12/chickpeas-braised-in-rich-sun-dried.html

pollypoo, Jun 9, 8:27am
Chickpea curry. Yum!

frances1266, Jun 9, 9:16am
Felafel is good.

sarahb5, Jun 9, 9:19am
Butter chick pea curry - its what my daughter and her flat mates discovered last year when they were on a budget. Just substitute chicken for chick peas in your favourite butter chicken recipe.

samanya, Jun 9, 11:12pm
I do mine in an ancient pressure cooker (have to do it outside on the BBQ gas ring, as it won't work on my induction hob) & I freeze them in meal sized portions.

samanya, Jun 9, 11:19pm
Just discovered this in the Chorizo thread from jynx . sounds good
Julie Buiso has a lovely recipe for Chickpeas & Chorizo in the Pan:

2 medium red onions -- peeled and thickly s
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 red peppers -- halved, deseeded and
add any other vegetables you fancy (see no
2 chorizo sausages -- sliced
½ cup pre-cooked brown rice (optional)
1 can chickpeas -- (400 g ) rinsed and
2 tablespoons chopped basil
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
Salt & pepper to taste

Sauté onions in oil in a large pan over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add peppers and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Heap vegetables to one side of the pan, then add chorizo to the cleared space. Brown chorizo on both sides, add chickpeas and rice and mix together.
When everything is hot, add the basil, salt and pepper and stir through parsley. Serve hot or at room temperature.

jynx66 (80 80 positive feedback) 1:27 pm, Sat 7 Jun #18

davidt4, Jun 9, 11:30pm
Chick Pea Curry

Feeds 4. 

2-3 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil

2 cloves 

2 green cardamon seeds

2 pieces of cinnamon 

1 medium onion (finely chopped) 

2cm of ginger (peeled and finely chopped)

3-4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped) 

½ teaspoon turmeric 

1 teaspoon coriander powder 

1/2 teaspoon cumin powder 

½ teaspoon garam masala 

½-1 teaspoon extra hot chilli powder 

1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes 

250g chick peas, soaked and cooked (or 2 x 400g tins chick peas, drained) 

1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander (optional) 

Heat oil in pan, adding cloves, cardamon and cinnamon. Wait until they start to make a popping noise. 
Add onion, ginger and garlic and fry them until they turn brown. (It is important you wait until they are brown - it makes a huge difference to the taste of the curry.) 
Add turmeric, coriander powder, cumin, garam masala and chilli and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring to avoid sticking. (You can add a bit more oil if it starts to stick.) 
Add tomatoes and cook until they reduce. 
Add chick peas and cook for about 10 minutes until the oil separates out a bit. 
Add chopped coriander. 
Serve with rice

davidt4, Jun 9, 11:31pm
Braised Silverbeet & Chick Peas with Onion and Tahini Sauce

Serves 4 – 6

2 onions finely sliced
½ tsp salt
125 ml olive oil

large bunch silverbeet (leaves)
2 c cooked chick peas
50 ml olive oil
½ onion diced
1 clove garlic
1 tab coriander seeds roasted
1 tsp ground cumin

2 lemons
salt & pepper

1 clove garlic crushed with ¼ tsp salt
125 ml tahini
100 ml lemon juice (or more)
cold water
paprika

Break up onions with salt and combine well. Leave 15 min, rinse and squeeze water out. Heat oil to smoking hot and fry onions 8 – 10 min until brown. Drain.

Shred silverbeet. Heat oil and saute onion & garlic until soft. Crush coriander, add to pan with silverbeet, chick peas, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Cover and cook 20 min, remove lid to evaporate liquid.

Mix garlic with tahini, then lemon juice, thin with water to pouring cream consistency. Check acidity and salt - should be very lemony.

Pour sauce over silverbeet, then onions, sprinkle with paprika.

davidt4, Jun 9, 11:31pm
Turkish Vinegared Fish with Chick Peas

serves 6

220g chick peas soaked overnight and drained
60 ml ev olive oil
3 large red onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds, lightly crushed
300 ml fish or chicken stock
60 ml cider vinegar
salt and pepper
1 kg trevally, mackerel etc in large pieces
1 tsp chilli flakes

Boil chick peas 45 min or until tender. Drain well.

Heat oven to 200 C.

Heat oil in large pan over med heat. Add onion, garlic and cumin, cook 6 - 7 min until softened.

Add stock, vinegar and chick peas, season. Bring to a simmer and keep warm over low heat.

Arrange fish in one layer in a baking dish, season, pour the chick pea mixture over and sprinkle with chilli. Cover tightly and bake 7 - 8 minutes until fish is just cooked through.

bedazzledjewels, Jun 9, 11:55pm
It's what goes with the chickpeas that is delicious to my mind. Bite into a sole chickpea and it's yuck!

barbs77, Jun 10, 5:11am
Might try this with the ton of kale I have in the fridge and I have some tahini to use up. Perfectt

samanya, Jun 10, 5:51am
I don't care too much for chick peas either & yet I love hummus . go figure?
I like a few in a vege curry, but not an overdose, would prefer the vegetables & curry flavour to be the main attraction, but they are good for us, huh?

lynja, Jun 10, 7:26am
puzzler7, how long do you cook your Kg of chickpeas and do you rinse them after? How much water (do you cover them?). I hadn't thought to freeze them. Great idea.

wildflower, Jun 10, 7:28am
I love them, use them all year round, salads with cous cous, corn etc, hummus all the time, great in casseroles and tangines for extra veg, falafels etc.

245sam, Jun 10, 7:33am
lyhja, it is lilyfield who cooks chickpeas by the Kg - "Always cook my own, a kilo at the time in slowcooker then freeze in smaller portions, cheap as chips.

lilyfield (520) 8:12 pm, Sun 8 Jun #4".

Unless lilyfield or someone else has answered your questions I'll check in Alison Holst's Slowcooker book for the answers and be back asap. :-))

tomber, Jun 11, 2:14am
I roast them in different spices, they make a crunchy snack to nibble on. Also, you can roast them as a sweet nibble too, I've tried sugar and cinnamon and sugar and vanilla. They go soft a bit quick but we eat them fast anyway.

blands70, Jun 11, 2:40am
I like making a really quick curry with them - onions, garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, chilli, turmeric, dried coriander, garam masala, salt, canned chickpeas, tinned tomatoes.

Sometimes add spinach or silverbeet at the end of cooking (just long enough for it to wilt down) or cubes of paneer a few minutes before the end of cooking.

Great quick standby meal.

westiesmum, Jun 17, 7:28am
does anyone have a good roast recipe for chickpeas please for snacking, thanks

245sam, Jun 17, 7:54am
lynja, apologies for both the typo in your username at #21 and also for not getting back to you sooner as promised re your questions.

I have just looked in Simon & Alison Holst's first Slow Cooker and Crock-pot book where I found instructions for Slow-Cooked Beans (including Chickpeas aka as Garbanzo Beans). The instructions there are for 2 cups dried chickpeas which according to the accompanying "useful chickpea facts" should yield about 5 cups cooked chickpeas, so the info' in the book does not actually answer your question re cooking 1 Kg chickpeas.

Re "do you rinse them after" - the advice in the Holst's book is this.
"For maximum flavour and best texture, leave the beans to cool in some of their cooking liquid overnight, of for several hours in a cook place (or in the refrigerator in hot weather) before using them in other recipes. You can refrigerate or freeze cooked beans and some liquid in plastic bags or lidded plastic pottles (e.g. from supermarket delis). The bean cooking stock is well flavoured and may be used too."

Personally lynja I usually rinse canned beans but I don't usually rinse the home-cooked ones.

If you'd like more details from the book please feel free to ask. :-))

lynja, Jun 17, 6:45pm
Thank you 245sam. Will def give this a go.