Date Pudding

thitryfiver, Jul 28, 1:17am
Can I substitute prunes for dates in a wholemeal pudding, needs 1 cup, I had thought I had pkt of dates but on getting pkt out to chop up discovered they are prunes did not realise I had bought them. Must have been close to dates or with them.

awoftam, Jul 28, 1:49am
Um give the 'benefits' of prunes I'd probably look up a prune pudding recipe or your diners may get an unexpected surprise post consumption (depending how many prunes you use). Also, dates are high in sugar and very sweet so you may need to balance this out.

This looks pretty interesting - and very easy! I am going to give it a go.

http://eugeniekitchen.com/far-breton/

245sam, Jul 28, 2:48am
thitryfiver, 'tis a little tricky to explain politely why I would not use prunes in a wholemeal pudding other than to suggest that you consider awoftam's words re "get an unexpected surprise post consumption (depending how many prunes you use)". We occasionally enjoy a microwaved prune pudding but it is not a wholemeal pudding - IMO the best option is either prunes OR wholemeal but not both. Here FYI is the pudding that we enjoy but, for presumably obvious reasons, it is definitely only an occasional dessert and is only enjoyed after taking into account other fruit, vegetables, etc. of our food intake for that day.

Glenys Raffill’s microwave “GRANDMA'S FABULOUS PRUNE PUDDING”
1 cup halved, stoned, moist prunes
boiling water
1 egg
½ cup brown sugar
50g butter, melted
⅔ cup flour
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp each of cinnamon and baking soda
1 tbsp warm milk

Cover the prunes with boiling water and stand 15 minutes. If they are drier prunes boil them on high (100%) for 2-3 minutes.
In a litre pudding basin beat the egg and sugar. Add the melted butter, drained prunes, dry ingredients, and baking soda dissolved in milk. Mix well, cover with plastic wrap, and cook on high (100%) for 4½-5½ minutes. Stand for 1½ minutes before turning out.

This recipe was tested in a 650W microwave – I simply adjust the cooking time accordingly. :-))

jennis, Feb 7, 10:11am
Yes it will work well. Chop into pieces as you would the dates.