White Sultana cake

toots5, Feb 27, 8:15pm
Hi there looking for a moist white sultana cake recipe please,the ones i have always turn out dark on the inside,and the fruit sinks to the bottom what am i doing wrong.Thanks for the help.

harrislucinda, Feb 27, 10:25pm
to stop fruit from sinking they say flour Have you got a recipe that say boil fruit I have and then rinse in cold water I never have a problem

korbo, Feb 28, 12:40am
#3 if you didnt want to put in the rum/sherry, as some people dont need it(u no what I mean), could you substitute with apple or orange juice, or ginger ale.
thanks.

bella95, Feb 28, 1:57am
Been making this one for more years than I care to admit and have updated measurements to metric. Easy to make with just a wooden spoon and I have also modified the original recipe to minimise dishes. ;)
Lovely and moist, keeps well (yeah right!) and never fails.
Never fail fruit cake;
500g sultanas (or mixed fruit if you prefer), water to cover fruit, 225 g butter, 3 eggs, 1 tablespoon any flavour jam (marmalade is best and berry will turn cake pinkish), 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 350g plain flour, pinch of salt.
Put fruit in largish pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes. (Chop butter into cubes while you wait.) Drain fruit well and return to pot, add butter and stir into fruit. (Leave to melt while you prepare rest of ingredients and grease and line (or flour) tin.) When butter has melted stir in marmalade. Stir in sugar. (Mixture should be cool enough by now, to be able to add eggs without them cooking.) Add eggs, one at a time. Add flour, baking powder and salt and stir just enough to mix. Pour into prepared medium size tin (round or square is fine), and spread smooth. Bake at 180C normal or 160C fan bake about 1 1/4 hours.
I start checking mine after about 45 minutes as times vary depending on oven and size of tin.
Hope you try it

sharon31, Feb 28, 7:20am
I make the Sultana Cake recipe out of the Edmonds book, but soak the Sultanas over night then boil. Never fails this recipe and a family favourite

dollmakernz, Feb 28, 9:52am
This is a light fruit cake thats a favourite in our house. Nice with just sultanas too
Light Fruit Cake

¾ lb flour ½ lb butter 1lb mixed fruit
½ lb sugar 3 eggs 1 tsp baking powder
1 cup water 1 dsp cornflour
½ tsp each of lemon, almond, rum & vanilla essence

Make a sauce of cornflour & water on a med heat and let cool. Add alternately with sifted baking powder & flour to beaten eggs sugar & butter. Add fruit & essences.
Bake in a moderate oven (180oc) appx 1½ hrs

jaybee6, Mar 2, 12:09am
Use the boiled sultana cake moist and yum. Been making for years and so easy one pot cake. Look over there<<<<<<&-
lt;< and do a search.

psychicxpress, Mar 2, 10:05am
This is the best Sultana Cake recipe I have tried. Thank you!

bella95, Mar 7, 9:03am
Oh. I'm SO pleased psychicxpress. Thanks for telling me.

bev00, Mar 7, 10:24am
another round

marcs, Mar 7, 12:39pm
Here is my MIL's recipe. You need to just barely cover the sultanas. I think a centimetre off the top is good. If you use golden sultanas then it will be white. The darker the sultana's the darker your cake is going to be.

Sultana Cake

1 lb (500g) sultanas
½ lb (250g) butter
1 ½ cups sugar
2 ½ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
2 TBS Golden Syrup
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp mixed spice

(use a wooden spoon not a mixer)

• Just cover the Sultanas with water and bring to a boil. Turn off and leave to cool completely.
• Cream butter and sugar.
• Add eggs one at a time and beat well.
• Add Golden syrup and mix in.
• Fold in sifted dry ingredients.

• Bake for 1 ½ - 1 3/4 hours in total - 1/2 hour at 150C and 1 1/4 at 140 C. Not sure of tin size but gather somewhere between 23 - 25 cm.

wildflower, Mar 8, 2:12am
I've used the one where you boil the sultanas and my grandmother made it for decades and they never sunk, always a perfect, tasty cake.

jazzryn, Jan 8, 10:00am
I make a sultana cake, it has 2 oz of ground almonds.really nice