What's with the price of garlic?

dawnwoman, May 30, 7:45am
Why does New Zealand garlic cost so much more than garlic that comes from China. Today in Countdown I noticed that a bag of Chinese garlic costs $3.99 whereas the equivalent in New Zealand costs $19.95. I would have thought it would cost more to transport garlic from China than locally.

mouse_y, May 30, 7:47am
is Chinese garlic really any good ?

kids4ever, May 30, 7:59am
grow your own, very easy, even put in pots

dawnwoman, May 30, 8:16am
It would still be good to know the reason why New Zealand garlic is more expensive.

dawnwoman, May 30, 8:18am
Well Chinese garlic is okay. I prefer New Zealand garlic.

nauru, May 30, 8:28am
I prefer NZ garlic too, I buy mine from our local weekend market, a bit cheaper than the SM but not much. I really don't know why it is so expensive either and have bought the Chinese garlic on the odd occasion.

awoftam, May 30, 9:15am
Given you don't need to use a ton of it , it doesn't work out that expensive.

I assume they grow a heap more in China than we can here hence the difference - also NZ garlic will possibly draw a larger price because it is just that. I find Chinese garlic sprouts - not that I have brought any for years now.

thewomble1, May 30, 9:55am
NZ garlic still has the roots attached.

awoftam, May 30, 10:06am
Yes indeed it does.

coach2, May 30, 10:13am
Chinese garlic is GM and if you have wondered why it is so white in colour compared to NZ garlic it is because they bleach it with chemicals. NZ garlic is stronger in taste as well as it grows naturally and is not "forced" like the Chinesse product.

hilt_dwane, May 30, 10:56am
Yes have heard that too. NZ grown has way more flavour. I personally wont buy Chinese

coach2, May 30, 11:09am
Agree with you hilt_dwane. I wont touch the Chinese stuff. I want garlic not some GM, chemical riddled, adulterated product. In this instance you really do get what you pay for

antoniab, May 30, 10:23pm
It's very easy to grow! I put in 30 cloves last year and we have just finished the bulbs last week so lasted around 6 months. Im going to plant mine next weekend and put in double as we go through A LOT! They don't need a lot of space just like to be kept weed free and I didn't have buy special fungal treated garlic from a garden centre, just NZ grown from the fruit and vege store, worked brilliantly - they all came up :)

dawnwoman, May 30, 11:29pm
Found this on the net
http://www.greenprophet.com/2010/03/how-green-is-your-garlic/

It's back to the NZ garlic for me.

dawnwoman, May 30, 11:31pm
That sounds like a plan.

dawnwoman, May 30, 11:35pm
I use garlic at times for medicinal reasons but have only used the NZ one which is really good - potent.
I guess there is often something sinister behind stuff being too cheap.

survivalkiwi, Jun 27, 2:19am
Plant my own. Size varies but all good. Going to try shallots this year. My nana use to grow them instead of onions. Chillies are another plant to grow over the summer months. I see them for about $60 -$70 kg. You can always freeze them direct and use as required.