Mince recipes please

Page 1 / 3
vixen09, May 3, 3:57am
x1
I dont know what to make for dinner tonight I dont want lasagna rissole's or meat balls as have these often any ideas anyone ? .

Thanks in advance :)

peneh, May 3, 4:01am
Just thinking the same thing!

darkraven1, May 3, 4:02am
Sloppy Joe hamburgers! Yum.

vixen09, May 3, 4:02am
also have shepherds pie all the time was thinking meat loaf but dont have a loaf tin

cookessentials, May 3, 4:04am
Sloppy Joe recipe Courtesy Rachael Ray

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
1 1/4 pounds ground beef sirloin
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend, such as McCormick brand Montreal Seasoning
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups tomato sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 crusty rolls, split, toasted, and lightly buttered
Garnish: sliced ripe tomatoes, pickles, Deviled Potato Salad, recipe follows
Directions
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and meat to the pan. Spread the meat around the pan and begin to break it up. Combine brown sugar and steak seasoning. Add sugar and spice mixture to the skillet and combine. When the meat has browned, add onion and red peppers to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook onions, peppers, red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce with meat for 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and paste to pan. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to simmer and cook Sloppy Joe mixture 5 minutes longer. Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, pile sloppy meat onto toasted, buttered bun bottoms and cover with bun tops. Serve with your favorite sides or sliced tomatoes seasoned with salt and pepper, dill pickles and Deviled Potato Salad. Have plenty of napkins on hand!

karenz, May 3, 4:05am
Youcould make up a basic savoury mince recipe and stuff some vegetables with it and top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs. The herbs or spice could depend on the vegetable, like for pumpkin I put in some nutmeg, for eggplant oregano, for capsicums add some cooked rice and pinenuts.

vixen09, May 3, 4:06am
That sounds good but sadly dont have all ingredients but will definitely make when have ingredients thanks cookessentials

karenz, May 3, 4:06am
You don't need a loaf tin, as long as the mixture isn't sloppy you can just form it into a loaf shape or wrap in tinfoil.

karenz, May 3, 4:06am
You don't need a loaf tin, as long as the mixture isn't sloppy you can just form it into a loaf shape or wrap in tinfoil.

vixen09, May 3, 4:08am
have you got an easy meatloaf recipe that I could try? Im not the greatest cook am still learning

rainrain1, May 3, 5:20am
Brown 500gr mince in oil, add
21/2 cups water
1 pkt chicken noodle soup (any will do)
2onions
small tin spaghetti
1 Tblsp suagr
1 dsp curry powder (opt)
1/2 cabbage sliced
Mixed veg of choice
Salt/pepper to taste
Simmer 1hr

karenz, May 3, 5:32am
I think you could pretty much make it up depending on what you have on hand. I would cook up some onions and garlic in oil or butter and add these to the mince along with a beaten egg, some tomato paste and herbs or choice, I think thyme would be nice, so would oregano. You could also "bulk it out" with some breadcrumbs. You could also mix in apacket of mushroom soup for a bit more taste.

greerg, May 3, 8:17am
If you have no loaf tin for a meatloaf grease a piece of tinfoil thin shape loaf mixture into a roll down the centre of it. Wrap tightly to compact the loaf then open the join again and fold back a little. Best to sit the roll in a baking dish so it doesn't leak into the oven.

tixy, May 3, 8:45am
I know this sounds odd, but you should try it! I received it from a TM poster years and years ago - I cannot account for its authenticity, but I know we (big whanau) really enjoy it.

BABOETIE
A South African dish (pronounced Bab-wee-tie)

1. 5 c milk
1 onion
2 slices bread
2 cloves garlic
700g mince (give or take)
1 t curry
1 t salt
2T chutney (any kind, usually tomato)
1 T apricot jam
1 T worcestershire sauce
5 t vinegar (usually malt, doesn't matter)
2 eggs

Soak bread in milk. Fry onion, garlic, mince. Drain bread (keep milk). Mix all ingredients except eggs with bread and stir into mince. Cook 3 mins. Add 1 egg. Stir. Tip into dish and add (1 egg beaten with turmeric and milk). Pour over top and bake.

Serve with spiced rice - add 1/4 t turmeric, 1/4 t cinnamon, 1/4t ginger to some rice. Add a bit of salt and cook.

Yum. Enjoy

unknowndisorder, May 3, 10:32am
I was going to do meatballs today, but reading a recipe book, decided on a mince curry potato pie and went with that. Figured out we had no curry (I thought I'd bought some, but no), and didn't have some other key ingredients, so changed it to suit what we did have.
What a waste of time. turned out it was a cottage pie with a pastry base. But it was good, except I sort of expected the potato to not need salt & pepper. Next time, I'll forget the pastry, add more veges into the mince, throw some pumpkin or carrot in with the spuds and put some cheese on top (I did think about the last thing, but forgot).
I guess at least it wasn't spaghetti or meatballs :)

kirinesha, May 3, 8:50pm
Rolo apo kima (Greek meatloaf with sauce)

For the loaf:

750gm minced beef
1 egg
1 large onion – finely chopped
200gm fresh breadcrumbs
salt & black pepper
1 tbsp chopped parsley
100ml oil
½ cup red wine
3 hardboiled & peeled eggs

For the sauce:

350gm tomatoes – canned
3 cloves of garlic - crushed
100ml oil (adjust to suit or omit)
100ml water (adjust to suit)

Options:

Grated cheese
Bacon or ham – 2 slices

Meatloaf:

Mix together well:

Mince
One egg
Breadcrumbs
Onion
Salt & pepper
Parsley
Wine
100ml of the oil

Method:

Lie a large piece of greaseproof paper down, wet it slightly
Spread the mixture on half paper then fold the other half over the mixture and flatten to make rectangle broad enough to wrap around the eggs
Peel back the paper and lay the eggs, end to end, along the middle of the meat mixture
Roll up the paper from the end the mixture is on, folding the over the eggs and making a roll (like a swiss roll). Seal ends.
Wrap the rest of the paper around and lightly oil the wrapping
Lay in baking dish (with sides to hold sauce)
Cook for 30 mins (180º), then remove the paper
Baste with oil and put back in to brown for 15-20 minutes

Sauce

Cook the tomatoes, garlic, remaining oil, 1/3 cup of water, salt & pepper together for 10 mins. Sieve / blend until smooth
Pour over the meatloaf, return to oven for further 20-30 minutes

Options:

Line meat mix with bacon / ham before placing eggs & rolling
Top with cheese 10 mins before removing from oven

Serve:

Cut into slices to serve

kirinesha, May 3, 8:57pm
Blue By You Meatloaf:

MEATLOAF
500gm pork mince, 1 egg, 2 tsp dried sage, s&p, 100gm blue crumbled vein cheese, 3 slices middle bacon

SAUCE: 1 cup sliced mushrooms & 1/2 small finely chopped onion sauteed in butter, seasoned.

MEATLOAF METHOD: Mix pork, egg & seasonings together. Lay out the bacon (overlapping by an inch) on top of baking paper. Cover with even layer of pork mix leaving last 1" of bacon furtherest away not covered. Run a thick line of cheese from side to side at end closest to you. Roll up like swiss roll & leave paper on. Pop in oven 45 mins on 190C. Uncover 5 mins before serving & pop under grill to crisp bacon.

SAUCE METHOD: Make a simple mushroom sauce with lightly sauteed onion in butter, then mushrooms added & season. Slice loaf into 2 or 4 and serve with sauce, cauli mash & green beans.

nzl99, Feb 25, 10:07pm
Thanks for this idea... I phoned my sister who has a SA husband and interrogated her until she gave up how she makes it. ;-)Am going to try it tonight.

nzl99, Feb 25, 10:07pm
Thanks for this idea. I phoned my sister who has a SA husband and interrogated her until she gave up how she makes it. ;-)Am going to try it tonight.

corgi731, Feb 26, 6:22pm
how did the baboetie go last night nzl99?

corgi731, Feb 26, 6:22pm
how did the baboetie go last night nzl99!

nzl99, Feb 26, 11:41pm
Well, it certainly was interesting.... I did a bit of Googling and interrogated my sister (married to SA lad) and this was the result.There are things I will do differently next time... but certainly satisfactory result for first go. ;-)

My attempt:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2115692&id=1225939081&l=ab806f5fda

(if you click on each pic it gives the ingreds/method)

nzl99, Feb 26, 11:41pm
Well, it certainly was interesting. I did a bit of Googling and interrogated my sister (married to SA lad) and this was the result.There are things I will do differently next time. but certainly satisfactory result for first go. ;-)

My attempt:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php!aid=2115692&id=1225939081&l=ab806f5fda

(if you click on each pic it gives the ingreds/method)

suie1, Mar 21, 2:01am
Well done, out of interest, what would you do differently next time? Did the whole family like it?

suie1, Mar 22, 2:01am
Well done, out of interest, what would you do differently next time! Did the whole family like it!