Mini fruit mince pies - filo ???

zahnee, Dec 8, 3:01am
Would it be ok to use filo pastry with a dollop of fruit mince in the mini muffin trays, to make small bite size ones, and should I perhaps brush the bottoms with melted butter. Your advice would be appreciated.

dollmakernz, Dec 8, 4:57am
Mince pies are better made with a sweet shortcrust pastry. I think the filo would be a light to hold together for something so small

nicki71, Dec 8, 6:28am
definitely can do with filo, better on the hips as that is a ww trick, put a bit of apple puree in as well to make the fruit mince go further.use about four layers of filo, will be delish.

elliehen, Dec 8, 6:37am
I have seen filo used for fruit mince parcels.Instead of having a top or a lattice, they were scrunched into 'parcels'.Looked good sprinkled with icing sugar.

I make what I call an Eccles Roll, which is filo filled with a dried fruit mix with spices, honey, grated apple and lemon juice.

gerry64, Dec 8, 12:16pm
x1
saw Jamie Oliver make delicious mince pies using filo last week on TV over here in Oz

fifie, Dec 8, 7:31pm
This year I'm going to make a mince meat and apple slice with a sour cream pastry base, the little pies made with filo sound lovely, I'd lightly grease your muffin tins before putting in the first layer of filo..

zahnee, Oct 8, 5:03pm
Thanks everyone I will definately be making them and have taken your feedback and advise on board. Thanks again, and I hope you all have a great Christmas.