Mince recipes please

Page 2 / 3
vixen09, May 4, 3:57am
I dont know what to make for dinner tonight I dont want lasagna rissole's or meat balls as have these often any ideas anyone !.

Thanks in advance :)

peneh, May 4, 4:01am
Just thinking the same thing!

darkraven1, May 4, 4:02am
Sloppy Joe hamburgers!Yum.

vixen09, May 4, 4:02am
whats a sloppy joe hamburger!.

cookessentials, May 4, 4:04am
Sloppy Joe recipe Courtesy Rachael Ray

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
1 1/4 pounds ground beef sirloin
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend, such as McCormick brand Montreal Seasoning
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups tomato sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 crusty rolls, split, toasted, and lightly buttered
Garnish: sliced ripe tomatoes, pickles, Deviled Potato Salad, recipe follows
Directions
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and meat to the pan. Spread the meat around the pan and begin to break it up. Combine brown sugar and steak seasoning. Add sugar and spice mixture to the skillet and combine. When the meat has browned, add onion and red peppers to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook onions, peppers, red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce with meat for 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and paste to pan. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to simmer and cook Sloppy Joe mixture 5 minutes longer. Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, pile sloppy meat onto toasted, buttered bun bottoms and cover with bun tops. Serve with your favorite sides or sliced tomatoes seasoned with salt and pepper, dill pickles and Deviled Potato Salad. Have plenty of napkins on hand!

cookessentials, May 4, 4:04am
Deviled Potato Salad:
5 all-purpose potatoes, peeled and diced

Coarse salt

1/4 onion

3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard

1/2 cup mayonnaise, eyeball the amount

1 teaspoon sweet paprika

1 teaspoon hot cayenne pepper sauce (recommended: Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish

Boil potatoes in water seasoned with coarse salt until they are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain cooked potatoes and return to the warm pot to dry them out. Let the potatoes stand 2 minutes, then spread potatoes out on to a cookie sheet to quick-cool them.

In the bottom of a medium mixing bowl, grate 1/4 onion using a hand grater. Add mustard and mayonnaise, paprika and cayenne pepper sauce to the grated onion and stir to combine. Add potatoes to the bowl and stir to evenly distribute dressing. Season potato salad with salt and pepper and taste to adjust your seasonings. Top servings of salad with chopped scallions.

karenz, May 4, 4:05am
Youcould make up a basic savoury mince recipe and stuff some vegetables with it and top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs.The herbs or spice could depend on the vegetable, like for pumpkin I put in some nutmeg, for eggplant oregano, for capsicums add some cooked rice and pinenuts.

karenz, May 4, 4:06am
You don't need a loaf tin, as long as the mixture isn't sloppy you can just form it into a loaf shape or wrap in tinfoil.

vixen09, May 4, 4:08am
have you got an easy meatloaf recipe that I could try! Im not the greatest cook am still learning

karenz, May 4, 5:32am
I think you could pretty much make it up depending on what you have on hand.I would cook up some onions and garlic in oil or butter and add these to the mince along with a beaten egg, some tomato paste and herbs or choice, I think thyme would be nice, so would oregano.You could also "bulk it out" with some breadcrumbs.You could also mix in apacket of mushroom soup for a bit more taste.

greerg, May 4, 8:17am
If you have no loaf tin for a meatloaf grease a piece of tinfoil thin shape loaf mixture into a roll down the centre of it. Wrap tightly to compact the loaf then open the join again and fold back a little.Best to sit the roll in a baking dish so it doesn't leak into the oven.

tixy, May 4, 8:45am
I know this sounds odd, but you should try it!I received it from a TM poster years and years ago - I cannot account for its authenticity, but I know we (big whanau) really enjoy it.

BABOETIE
A South African dish (pronounced Bab-wee-tie)

1.5 c milk
1 onion
2 slices bread
2 cloves garlic
700g mince (give or take)
1 t curry
1 t salt
2T chutney (any kind, usually tomato)
1 T apricot jam
1 T worcestershire sauce
5 t vinegar (usually malt, doesn't matter)
2 eggs

Soak bread in milk. Fry onion, garlic, mince. Drain bread (keep milk). Mix all ingredients except eggs with bread and stir into mince. Cook 3 mins. Add 1 egg. Stir. Tip into dish and add (1 egg beaten with turmeric and milk). Pour over top and bake.

Serve with spiced rice - add 1/4 t turmeric, 1/4 t cinnamon, 1/4t ginger to some rice. Add a bit of salt and cook.

Yum. Enjoy

unknowndisorder, May 4, 10:32am
I was going to do meatballs today, but reading a recipe book, decided on a mince curry potato pie and went with that. Figured out we had no curry (I thought I'd bought some, but no), and didn't have some other key ingredients, so changed it to suit what we did have.
What a waste of time. turned out it was a cottage pie with a pastry base. But it was good, except I sort of expected the potato to not need salt & pepper. Next time, I'll forget the pastry, add more veges into the mince, throw some pumpkin or carrot in with the spuds and put some cheese on top (I did think about the last thing, but forgot).
I guess at least it wasn't spaghetti or meatballs :)

kirinesha, May 4, 8:50pm
Rolo apo kima (Greek meatloaf with sauce)

For the loaf:

750gm minced beef
1 egg
1 large onion – finely chopped
200gm fresh breadcrumbs
salt & black pepper
1 tbsp chopped parsley
100ml oil
½ cup red wine
3 hardboiled & peeled eggs

For the sauce:

350gm tomatoes – canned
3 cloves of garlic - crushed
100ml oil (adjust to suit or omit)
100ml water (adjust to suit)

Options:

Grated cheese
Bacon or ham – 2 slices

Meatloaf:

Mix together well:

Mince
One egg
Breadcrumbs
Onion
Salt & pepper
Parsley
Wine
100ml of the oil

Method:

Lie a large piece of greaseproof paper down, wet it slightly
Spread the mixture on half paper then fold the other half over the mixture and flatten to make rectangle broad enough to wrap around the eggs
Peel back the paper and lay the eggs, end to end, along the middle of the meat mixture
Roll up the paper from the end the mixture is on, folding the over the eggs and making a roll (like a swiss roll). Seal ends.
Wrap the rest of the paper around and lightly oil the wrapping
Lay in baking dish (with sides to hold sauce)
Cook for 30 mins (180º), then remove the paper
Baste with oil and put back in to brown for 15-20 minutes

Sauce

Cook the tomatoes, garlic, remaining oil, 1/3 cup of water, salt & pepper together for 10 mins. Sieve / blend until smooth
Pour over the meatloaf, return to oven for further 20-30 minutes

Options:

Line meat mix with bacon / ham before placing eggs & rolling
Top with cheese 10 mins before removing from oven

Serve:

Cut into slices to serve

kirinesha, May 4, 8:57pm
Blue By You Meatloaf:

MEATLOAF
500gm pork mince, 1 egg, 2 tsp dried sage, s&p, 100gm blue crumbled vein cheese, 3 slices middle bacon

SAUCE: 1 cup sliced mushrooms & 1/2 small finely chopped onion sauteed in butter, seasoned.

MEATLOAF METHOD: Mix pork, egg & seasonings together. Lay out the bacon (overlapping by an inch) on top of baking paper. Cover with even layer of pork mix leaving last 1" of bacon furtherest away not covered. Run a thick line of cheese from side to side at end closest to you. Roll up like swiss roll & leave paper on. Pop in oven 45 mins on 190C. Uncover 5 mins before serving & pop under grill to crisp bacon.

SAUCE METHOD: Make a simple mushroom sauce with lightly sauteed onion in butter, then mushrooms added & season.

TO SERVE: Slice loaf into 2 or 4 and serve with sauce, cauli mash & green beans.

bev00, Mar 20, 9:40am
great mince ideas for colder weather

olwen, Mar 20, 8:57pm
About 100 years ago when I was at intermediate they taught us to make a meat loaf in a roasting dish and called it a mock roast.It sate as a rectangle in the middle.Sorry I don't have the recipe.

daleaway, Mar 21, 12:03am
Bobotie was around in New Zealand contributed cookbooks about 30-40 years ago when locals called it Bobbidee. how things get changed when they travel!

However 25 years ago I asked a South African friend for an authentic recipe and he gave me three, photocopied from SA cookbooks (and all spelled Bobotie and pronounced BoBOtee). They were all somewhat different in minor ways, but basically it is small-chopped or minced meat in a curried meat custard with apricot. Some recipes add almonds.
It can be made from left over roast, which is useful.

Anyway now you know the spelling, Google away and pick your preferred recipe!

dbab, Mar 21, 3:41am
I have made meatloaf in muffin tins. Nice with a slice of tomato or pineapple in the bottom, and then flip them over to serve

1mlost, Mar 21, 8:33am
Will have to give this a go

winnie231, Mar 21, 9:26am
Courtesy of Fisher - a regular here .
http://www.e-ware.co.nz/mince.htm
. and lots more in different sections of his website if you care to look :)
They are all tried & true recipes shared by fisher himself, family & friends of his or one of us here.

gail1231, Mar 22, 12:43am
Try Adding Veges in with the mince and cooking it up that way you will also need 1oxo cube a tip or just over for both mustard and curry powder and 2 tablespoons of bisto or gravy browning

bev00, Mar 22, 10:23am
Meatloaf recipes -

Tonight we had the best meatloaf. Dice one onion and mix in with sausage meat and mince. Add 1 tablespoon each of worchestireshire and soy sauces, 1 teaspoon smoked garlic salt (plain would be fine), 2 tablespoons sauce (hikory nice but tomato OK) 1 crumbled oxo cube, 1 tbsp golden syrup. No egg nor breadcrumbs. Put into loaf tin and cook for about an hour at 190/200 degrees. Leaves side of tine and feels firm to the touch when cooked. Juices around the loaf in pan will be clear.

Edited by gardie at 6:38 pm, Wed 23 Mar

Quotegardie (395 )6:27 pm, Wed 23 Mar #2
I use good quality sausages rather than sausage meat,topside mince,add grated carrot and onion,worcestershire sauce,a good dollop of fruit or vege chutney and a tsp of chilli flakes.

Quoteeastie3 (44 )6:35 pm, Wed 23 Mar #3
I use this one. Guarantee it is nice. Recipe can be halved & nice cold the next day.
500gr uncooked mince
450gr sausage meat
1c fresh breadcrumbs
2 chopped onions
2tsp curry powder
1 large clove crushed garlic (opt)
seasoning
2tsp dry mustard (opt, I use this so onions don't repeat)
1 egg
Combine all in a large bowl. Gradually add 1/2c milk & 1/2c water, beat until smooth. Place in a greased roasting dish (I use a casserole dish)& shape like a loaf.
Bake 180 for 30mins.
Pour off excess fat & add BBQ sauce as follows:
1/2c water
1/4c worcester sauce
1/4c br sugar
knob butter
1/2c tomato sauce
2TBSP vinegar
1tsp instant coffee
2TBSP lemon juice
combine all ingredients in a saucepan, bring slowly to the boil,reduce heat & simmer 5 mins.
Pour over loaf & baste frequently
Contine cooking uncovered for 45 mins

Quotejessie981 (52 )7:18 pm, Wed 23 Mar

griffo4, Mar 23, 12:22am
Thanks for your pork recipe kirinesha l have it all rolled up in the fridge ready to put in the oven for dinner tonight
lt looks really nice and we are looking forward to tasting it
Thanks for posting l was looking for pork mince recipes

griffo4, Mar 23, 7:24am
We had kirinesha's pork mince for dinner and OMG was it nice and l am not a big fan of blue cheese but it was really nice
l cooked it in a loaf tin then l poured off the juices and we put that over the loaf when serving it and it was a really nice sauce as well as the mushroom sauce
l think l would possibly reduce the juice off the meat a bit to make it thicker but definitely a keeper
lt is the best pork mince recipe l have made so far