Mince ideas

trev106, Apr 20, 3:32am
I need some new ideas for mince... we always have spag boll, spag meatballs, nachos. Hubby will not eat shepards pie (??? have no idea what thats about no reason just wont eat it)
What else can i do? there is hubby,me,miss 2 and miss 9months

herself, Apr 20, 3:35am
Lasagne is yummy and veg. (if not liked by kids) can be hidden in amongst the mince sauce part or if not a problem then layered between the cheese sauce, meat sauce and pasta.

cookessentials, Apr 20, 3:37am
BEEF AND BEAN CASSEROLE

2 tbsp butter
750g minced steak ( I use premium mince)
1 lge onion,finely chopped
1x 425g can of chopped tomatoes
1 cup hot beef stock ( I use a Maggi Beef stock dissolved in boiling water)
125g pasta - I use the curly pasta-often the tri-colour
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp chilli powder ( I use about half as it can be pretty hot with 1tsp)
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce ( Lea & Perrins if you have it)
1x can baked beans

Melt butter in large saucepan (I use my smaller stock pot) and brown the meat and onion. Stir in all the remaining ingredients except the baked beans. Mix together well and simmer with lid on for 30 mins or so,stirring occasionally. Add a little more water if necessary. When pasta is tender and meat is cooked, add the baked beans and stire through. Heat through gently and serve.

cookessentials, Apr 20, 3:39am
I have bumped the meat thread for you. Tghere are 3-4 mince recipes on there.

murdoc4, Apr 20, 3:44am
Big baked potatoes for hubby and you and smaller ones for little ones.Once potatoes are baked split in half and give a generous spoonful of mince and dollop with sour cream mixed with onion soup mix and sprinkle over grated cheese.Our kids love them and it is filling, a meal in itself! ....Lasange.....Stirfried mince with oodles of veges finished off with dollop of oyster or teriyaki sauce etc...!

greerg, Apr 20, 3:47am
Chilli con carne with rice or over a split baked potato as the previous poster suggested, home-made pie.

herself, Apr 20, 3:54am
Curried mince on rice makes a nice change.You can adjust the curry seasoning to taste (or take out the kids portions before adding the curry) and add veg. if you want to.

rema, Apr 20, 4:02am
Meat Loaf?

dorothy_vdh, Apr 20, 6:27am
moussaka.chow mein

dantes_auntie, Apr 20, 6:53am
you can do chop suey.
just need those rice noodles

kabbo, Apr 20, 8:08am
last night i made nachos, but the mince part didnt have beans in it - dont like them -yukky!
anyway with the other half of the cooked mince left over, tonight i reheated it, fried up some chopped mushrooms and courgettes, added to the mince. cooked some fettucine, added everything together and mixed in some sour cream......it was yuuuuuummmmmy.

trev106, Apr 20, 9:21am
thanks everyone! will give some a try
Herself if you could post meatloaf recipie that would be fantastic.
And thanks for bumping the meat thread

kiwibubbles, Apr 20, 9:45am
haha i can't eat shephards pie either - dunno why. I like mince and i like mashed potato but i just cannot have a shepherds pie. I absolutely cannot have peas in mince either.

kinna54, Apr 20, 11:30am
There is an Alison Holst book on mince recipes alone. I have lent mine to someone... who had better bring it back soon.... But it should be available at the local library. There is an awesome Alison Holst confetti meatloaf recipe as well.

herself, Apr 20, 9:10pm
Here it is trev106. Meatloaf with BBQ Sauce. Originally posted here in the recipe forum bytony_ evelynmany years ago.I always give her credit as it is a superb meatloaf.I often see it here, with a few tweaks andclaimed by others, but you can't beat the original.
500g mince, 450gmpkt. sausage meat,1 cup fresh breadcrumbs,2 chopped onions,2 tsp curry powder,1 large clove crushed garlic,salt and pepper,1 egg. Combine all in a huge bowl.
Gradually add ½cup milk and ½cup water, beat until smooth, place into a greased roasting dish shaping it like a loaf. Bake in oven 180C for 30 minutes. Pour off excess fat and pour over the BBQ sauce made as follows:
½ cup water,¼ cup Worcestershire sauce,¼ cup brown sugar,1 oz butter,½ cup tomato sauce, 2 Tbsp vinegar,1 tsp instant coffee (adds depth to flavour or sauce!), 2 Tbsp lemon juice.
Combine all ingredients in a pot, bring to the boil slowly, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
So, pour cooked sauce over the meatloaf which has cooked for 30mins and been drained of excess fat, and baste frequently.Continue cooking, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
This is delicious and is the only meatloaf I make now.I hope you and your family enjoy it.

bappy, Apr 20, 9:22pm
I make an Indian meatball curry with mince too.I also make what we Indians call "potato chops".Mince is cooked seperately (leftovers from that used for nachos is good).Then we encase a couple of spoons of mince in mashed potatoes.Take a ball of mashed potato, flatten it on your oiled palm.Put 1-2 tbps of mince in the centre of the flattened potato.Then roll the potato around the mince such that it is closed and covered completely.Then this is dipped in breadcrumbs and beaten eggs and fried.