6lb apples
2lb sugar
1/4lb salt
1sm tsp pepper
pinch cayenne
3 breakfastcups vinegar
level dsp curry
Peel & core apples, cut into 1/4s
Peel & finely slice onions, boil in a little water until you can cut with a knife
Strain & add apples, sugar & vinegar & boil until apples are pulpy
Put pepper, salt, mustard, flour & curry powder in a bowl & mix to a smooth paste with a little vinegar
Stir into onions & apples & boil until flour is cooked

daisyhill, Feb 18, 4:39am
What's a breakfastcup! Is that the same as a standard cup measure!

rainrain1, Feb 18, 4:54am
just round the top up a bit instead of smoothing off

daisyhill, Feb 18, 5:07am
So, a cup and a wee bit! I've never heard the term before but I do want to try this recipe :-)

feebee10, Feb 18, 7:59am
A breakfast cup to me is and old fashioned tea cup, so in i use 3/4 cup thanks but i want a recipe with out apples any one else please

cookessentials, Feb 21, 1:23am
Onion Marmalade

100ml olive oil
2kg onions, peeled and finely sliced
200g brown sugar
150gredcurrant jelly
300ml white wine vinegar
50ml balsamic vinegar
1 rounded tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large heavy panover a medium heat and add the onions.Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 – 40 minutes until the onions are completely wilted and just beginning to colour.

Add the sugar and jelly, and increase the heat.Remove the lid and cook, stirring frequently, for about 30 minutes until the mixture turns dark brown and most of the liquid has evaporated.

Take the pan off the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes, then add the vinegars (this is important, as adding vinegar to the hot pan will cause it to all steam up and evaporate away).Return to the heat and cook for another 10 minutes or so, until the mixture becomes thick and gooey, and a spoon drawn across the bottom of the pan leaves a clear track across the base for a couple of seconds.

Remove from heat and season with the salt and pepper. Spoon into hot sterilised jars and seal with vinegar-proof lids

feebee10, Feb 22, 4:58am
Thanks cookessentials, have you made this before!

daisyhill, Feb 22, 9:35pm
I made this onion jam recipe last night and it is absolutely outstanding. Will be making it again for sure. I got nearly seven little Ball 8oz jars out of it.
http://www.homebakedonline.com/2010/08/sweet-onion-jam-recipe-2010.html

Sweet Onion Jam
Adapted from Rachel Allen's Bake.

30g butter (I used oil)
3lbs (1.5kg) onions, peeled and sliced finely (I used red onions)
275g golden caster sugar (I used light brown sugar)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
200ml balsamic vinegar
500ml red wine (mmmm pinot noir)

Melt the butter in a large pan and add the onions, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir them and cook for 40 minutes over a gentle heat.
Add the vinegar and wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is slightly thick (you're looking for a syrupy consistency). The jam will thicken further on cooling.
Place in sterilised jars, seal and label.

feebee10, Feb 23, 3:49am
Thanks daisyhill this looks good too, i have a pack of vaccum pack sliced onions in the frezzer so want to try making something with them, hopefully this will work

jessie981, Feb 23, 5:02am
This, teacup is fine China teacup