~~~The Chutney/Relish Thread~~~

cookessentials, Nov 29, 12:17am
Brilliant idea babytears.

Beetroot Relish
A beautiful rich coloured relish, makes a beautiful home made gift. Serve with cold meats such as ham, beef, turkey etc.
Ingredients:
750g fresh beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated
1 chopped onion
400g peeled,cored and chopped green apples
410ml white wine vinegar
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp salt
Method:
Place all ingredients in large pan or stock pot and stir over a low heat, without boiling, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring often, for 20-30 minutes or until the beetroot and onion are tender and the relish has reduced and thickened. Spoon into clean, hot jars and seal. Turn upside down for two minutes, invert and leave to cool. Leave for a month before using. Refrigerate after opening for up to six weeks.

babytears, Nov 29, 12:36am
ohhhhhhhh thanks cooksessentials.... looks great!

babytears, Nov 29, 6:20am
Bumping for yours to share...

babytears, Nov 29, 5:01pm
Thanks... I didn't realise a thread already existed... I'll go add mine to yours

dreamers, Nov 29, 9:47pm
Does anyone have a recipe for a relish my mum used to make years ago? and it had,pineapple,sweetcorn,capsci-
um and other ingredients i cant remember.It was quite yellow looking.many thanks

wildflower, Nov 30, 2:52am
The Farmhouse chutney sounds great, if I get swamped with homegrown tomatoes like I'm hoping I'll be trying it!

juliewn, Sep 22, 3:46am
Hi Dreamers.. you could use those ingredients as part of the vege mix in a piccalilli or chow chow, or other mustard pickles.. include the pineapple as part of the vege mix.

If you type one of the pickle names in the left hand search bar, and change last 24 hours to anytime and search, there'll be recipes that you could use.